Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Son has just been telling me of a customer's installation of a gas hob he condemned.

• DIY job
  • Owner had coupled hob to gas supply with hose meant for taps.
  • Should have been stainless armoured.
  • And it leaked.
  • So he used gaffer tape.
  • He ensures that he takes photos of the "before".

I was of a mind to use shrink sleeving, with the two ends shrunk down onto the pipework using bath sealant to make everything nice n' gas tight.  Would your son sign it off for me please?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have heard people refer to any coins as shrapnel.  

I do, usually qualified as "Fine British Shrapnel".

I am about to drill holes in the bathroom tiles to fit a shower thingy, a task I've been putting off.  I said I'd do it today while SWMBO was out so she couldn't divert me to help with something or look for something.  So out she goes, I get the drill out, find the masonry bits, start to mark out.... and the phone goes, will I look for something that isn't in the lock-up....  I found it, in plain view.  She'd been looking for it last night and must have passed it a dozen times.  Not small, either.  I suppose I'd better get on.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

You are also forgetting the Ton..............................................................................which is a measurement of speed on a motor bike, as in doing a ton = 100mph or going for a ton up, which was just driving daftly fast on small roads.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I do, usually qualified as "Fine British Shrapnel".

I am about to drill holes in the bathroom tiles to fit a shower thingy, a task I've been putting off.  I said I'd do it today while SWMBO was out so she couldn't divert me to help with something or look for something.  So out she goes, I get the drill out, find the masonry bits, start to mark out.... and the phone goes, will I look for something that isn't in the lock-up....  I found it, in plain view.  She'd been looking for it last night and must have passed it a dozen times.  Not small, either.  I suppose I'd better get on.

There are special bits for drilling into tiles. Ordinary masonry bits will often break a tile or at least splinter the glazing.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear had a fun day lifting a section of laminate floor and floorboards in the bedroom modelling room.  Fortunately it wasn't the pig of a job it could've been, though it has taken a fair chunk of the day - much of this was taken up with moving cupboards, workbenches, general dross etc etc.  Cutting thru' a floor board saved unscrewing and shifting a second cupboard and lifting even more laminate floor, though of course I then had to cut and screw a batten to the side of the joist in preparation for refitting the floorboard - the batten will support the newly cut end of the board. 

Tomorrow will commence with draining the heating system down so I can remove the horrid pipework and have hours of fun playing pipework origami with some new tubing - fortunately it appears that a friend has a plumber's pipe bending tool so hopefully this should make life easier.

Since the floorboards are up directly below an existing double wall socket I will probably take the opportunity to add a second socket to the ring main adjacent to the existing one.  This was prompted by my mate from next door (who came round to assist me with the 'umpin and dumpin' of cabinets - both suitably masked, naturally) who happened to make the comment "you got enough plugs in that socket??" (sarcastic b'stard).  In my defence, all were very low current jobbies, suitably fused - not half a dozen leccy fires.  Still, a second double socket will tidy things up no end, make life simpler, and be a lot more "acceptable".  As if I didn't have enough to do already....

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In my youff shrapnel referred to copper coinage,  but these days appears to refer to all coinage. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I was of a mind to use shrink sleeving, with the two ends shrunk down onto the pipework using bath sealant to make everything nice n' gas tight.  Would your son sign it off for me please?

Sorry, no.

He'd call Cadent to cut you off.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Task successfully accomplished.  I had been advised by the tiler and watched a couple of videos, so was careful not use hammer action until I was through the tiles into the blocks (prewar concrete, not modern).  Now for a cider and a mince pie (nights are drawing in, soon be....).  

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I can remember my Dad showing me how to drill holes in bottles, probably when turning bottles into table lamp bases was trendy. Last time I cut holes in tiles they were square holes. I used a Dremel tile kit. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening from Estuary-Land. Nothing done in the way of drilling today. Firstly I couldn't find the drill bits. They turned out to be under my nose all the time. The reason was that they are contained in a machined aluminium case, almost identical to the one containing my Dremel. I must have passed it by a few times assuming it was the Dremel, only when I spotted the Dremel I realised my mistake. :banghead: So I went to get my drill only to find that the battery needed charging .:mad: The battery is on charge now and the bits are where I know where to find them.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

In Liverpool they use the term 

SLUMMY 

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, no.

He'd call Cadent to cut you off.

Yet another cutting edge idea shot down in flames :sad_mini:

... which, with the tools they use, may be a little painful :)

On second thoughts, I've had an even better idea....

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

Check me out!

IMG_20201004_203414.jpg.c65a273d2acaab0660fd333f5967d988.jpg

In reality:

• I forgot to isolate each side of the circuit with black tubing so now have faff about with tape.
  • The wires to the lights in the roof are too long and stiff. I cut them down but clearly not enough. Although all subsequent versions won't be affected by this.
  • The wires to the pick ups are far too long.
  • The wires to the pickups are going through the slot where the body attaches to the chassis (I was trying to be neat). I may have to drill a special hole in the bogie.

But not bad for a first try!

Only 19 more to go.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 13

Evening all, some moving of things on wheels on parallel bits of metal occurred today along with the erection(stop sniggering at the back laddie) of lights in the yard and on the station, if only I knew what I did with the 9 volt power supply, in that safe place................................ also some telegraph poles too, need another signal now.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2