The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just to show i haven't been too idle over the last couple of days. Here's some proof. Firrst the newly painted section of the shed floor.

PA070799.JPG.440572f84d7ad98af09e7f55afedb3b8.JPG

Then this morning's little task with ground anchors added to the supports for the swing.

PA070801.JPG.79f8cadab026395f4f18b36041ccc1e2.JPG

Jamie

Did you dispose of the car that was left there when you moved in?

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

No not yet Tony, it's hidden away in the top end. I'm still trying to get rid of it though.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Mornin g all,

And now for the second time, and on the correct date this time, Happy anniversary to Rick and Sharon. (does she know she's married to a squirrel I wonder? ;) ).

We have sunshine and we also had a nice, cuddly, looking blonde haired loss adjusting lady arriving with us on time at 09.00.  seems that unless we can g find a competent contractor we won't get any restitution work done until after Christmas (I believe that means Christmas this year but one never knows.  But the good news was that the final settlement (less the excess of course) will include the cost of the electricity for running the drying machines and fans.

As for cousins I have relatively few - no first cousins on my father's side although plenty at a greater remove than that although we're not really in touch with any of them apart from one who is about umpteen times removed;  one cousin on that side is a Chinese young lady who is a cousin 3 times removed.  Slightly brighter on my mother's side although only one of her sister's three sons now survives (all were younger than me) and my mother's youngest brother had two daughters who we are not in touch with at all but they're still around (or were about 15 months ago when I last saw them at my uncle's funeral).

Just for a laugh I had look at booking Sidmouth's most expensive hotel at Christmas and back came the message 'no rooms left'. so it looks like the town will be popular at that time.   I d hope Chris's Swiss trip can go ahead and of course his ladship should also be going there for work reasons in December although that too is currently in the lap of the Covid god.  Generally infection rates seem to be rising - in our part of the world the rate has risen from 30 to 39 in the past week but looking at it the other way that puts the actual number of diagnosed cases at c.55.  i understand from the Good Dictor that the hospitals in Oxford don't yet appear to have gone into Covid emergency ward mode and where she is the hospital seems to be concentrating on getting through as many elective orthopaedic surgery cases as they can - they've even been trying day surgery for hip replacement operations!

The loss adjuster reported that the river looks quite high so give it another day and I think it will be over the top in the usual places - not that they are anything serious.  whether it will get worse than that we shall wait and see but I doubt it although we will be getting some more rain  in the next day or two.  The level at the lock is currently 2.951 metres above normal and just in the red on the gauge but it has fallen by 0.027mm in the past 24 hours but I think there will still be plenty of water to come downstream from flooding furher up.  But nowt to worry about - it could ris getting on for another metre before anyone starts to get seriously inconvenienced.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I only had two cousins, one (Mum's nephew)  is older than me and is still alive and well but we only exchange greetings at Christmas.  My Dad's niece who was quite a bit younger than me had a bit of a hard time as my uncle and aunt lived in Kuala Lumpur for many years so she was sent back here for school from quite a young age.  Most holidays were spent at my grandmother's house and she only saw her parents once a year.  After a troublesome time at school she went off the rails and eventually had 3 daughters  with different blokes and then turned to drink and drugs and ended up committing suicide aged about 40.   I did meet her 3 daughters at my uncle's funeral a few years ago and  surprisingly (to me anyway) they've all turned out to be lovely, intelligent, happy and well adjusted  young women.

Our friends next door's two daughters (aged 20 and 23) still call us Uncle and Auntie and say they always will.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

No not yet Tony, it's hidden away in the top end. I'm still trying to get rid of it though.

Jamie

Is there perhaps a French equivalent of webuyanycar dot com ?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

58 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

If you keep it for a few more years it might become a desirable classic. :jester:

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Is there perhaps a French equivalent of webuyanycar dot com ?

nous achetons n'importe quelle voiture dot co dot fr doesn’t have quite the same ring .... 

Auntie

Those who were (all now in the past tense) were “Auntie” when I was very young but I was coached to use “Aunt” by the time I started school. Uncles were never “Unclie” after all. 

“Auntie” was also used in certain cases of an older female with defined connection to the family. Child-minders were always “Auntie” followed by their name and never “Nanny”. 

Much later in life and more worldly-wise I learned the term was used similarly in other cultures. Indigenous Australian women are “Aunties” to the younger girls but not usually blood-related. Elders, if female, are accorded the honourific title “Auntie” ahead of their full name as a mark of respect for status. 

I have at times worked among the Jamaican and Ghanain communities both of whom refer similarly to their older female members especially any with particular seniority or knowledge.  The term “daughter” (or “dawta”) is also used when referring to a younger female while “sister” is widely used to refer familiarly to anyone of broadly similar age. 

A versatile and at times potentially confusing term!  

Edited by Gwiwer
Muggertee inserted.
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Anniversary Rick & Sharon

HUMP day!

Nothing of note from yesterday <yawn>

Today will be as wildly imaginative and full of interest :O

9 first thing and sunny, expected to reach 21 later.

Rather dry here now as we had a lower than usual September rainfall and hardly any so far this month. Dry in the northern parts of the state and some fire warning issued.

Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Between us, my wife and I had 56 first cousins. There was remarkable little duplication of names, and so not much confusion about which one we were talking about in any conversation.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

With counties to the east of us under lockdown measures again, including  not being allowed to travel in or out of those counties without a valid reason, and a sharply rising number of confirmed c

Just before the Denbighshire extra lockdown rules commenced our neighbours returned from seeing their relations there. The Covid rate there was twice (now 3 times) what it is here. If they had been from somewhere overseas with those figures they would have been required to self isolate rather than visit car dealers, supermarket and doctors. They have now gone back to Wales with documents to show they have a good reason to enter the restricted area. I am not sure if they will be permitted to travel out of the area now. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

A fun day sanding wall filler :( , finishing off and fitting two double sockets :) - one of which is a new addition (mate next door came out with the sarkey line "you got enough plugs in that socket??" - which prompted the new addition), then meeting up with a mate in Homebase car park to borrow his fancy pipe bending kit.  This last task was "fun", since the clutch on Mickey the MG is playing up :( - booked in for sorting next week, along with a service and MOT.  Bang goes some serious modelling wonga (and some).   Last job of the day was draining down the CH System, ready for (hopefully) improving the pipework to the conservatory radiator tomorrow - hopefully my plumbing bits order from Toolstation will be delivered tomorrow too.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

When we moved here, there was a lady in her 80s, a few doors away, who everyone called Anti Bet.  Other senior ladies also carried the Anti (auntie) title.  Wncwl was the uncle equivalent although I never heard it.  The actual Welsh word for aunt(ie) is modryb; uncle is ewythr. 

We, today's 'oldies', grew up (aged!) with that generation of kids who called adults by their first name, and who now call us, ' You guys'.  I wonder what will be next!  Thinking about it, don't tell me!  :jester:

https://www.drefwen.com/english/books/shop/childrens-welsh-books/bilingual-childrens-books-age-3-5/anti-dilys/

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If you keep it for a few more years it might become a desirable classic. :jester:

In some circles it is already considered a classic. A friend in Leeds would have it but the transport cost is too much for him.

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Jamie,

I know I said it when you first moved/showed it, but once again, that's NOT a shed, it's a blqqdy aircraft hangar :jester::jester::jester:

Even though google translate uses another word the locals seem to call sheds hangars, maybe that's where the word comes from.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been stabbed,.. 

In my left upper arm... 

By a man in a blue suit

Face mask and clear visor.. 

Hopefully that means I won't get the flu... 

Remember the days when you walked into a hardware shop,  asked for something,  and the man would go for a ferret and come back with what you wanted?

Well it's just happened,  I went to the RBS reclamation yard in Norwich,  handed the tile I have to him,  he led me winding through stacks of all sorts of different tiles, straight to a stack of the right type.  He then carried a pile out to the car,  we went back to the office,  1 wave of the plastic,  and I was finished.. All done in 10 minutes. 

£1:80 a tile,  a very careful drive back over all the lumps bumps and road humps, with a boot full of tiles rattling in the back and we're home.. 

I was welcomed by clouds of seagulls... They're ploughing the field round the house and looking at the big tank on the back tractor they are either fertilizing or seeding at the same time. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

In some circles it is already considered a classic. A friend in Leeds would have it but the transport cost is too much for him.

Even though google translate uses another word theclocals seem to call sheds hangars, maybe that's where the word comes from.

Jamie

Jamie, These people will collect from France (but it will no doubt cost) 

https://mathewsons.co.uk/?utm_source=CarandClassic.co.uk&utm_medium=portal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Even though google translate uses another word theclocals seem to call sheds hangars, maybe that's where the word comes from.

Jamie

For me Google came up with

l' hangar

hangar, shed, air-shed

l' abri

shelter, shed, cover, refuge, haven, bunker

le cabanon

shed, cottage, hut, booby hatch

Though what a booby hatch is I don't know,  maybe it's something to do with the fallen Madonna with the big.... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My niece and nephew addressed me as uncle when they were little but simply started addressing me by name as they became teenagers. The same applied to myself and my siblings when we grew older but not one of us would be able to say when it changed. Due to this Covid19 we at SEERS are having to work around it. I've been asked to deliver documents to a member who is not on the internet. I'm quite happy to do so. What interested me is that he lives only a couple of streets away from the first property that I had hoped to buy which was in Laindon not far from the station. Unfortunately the sale fell through but it had a room that was ideal for a layout, only eight feet wide but at least twenty five feet long.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

For me Google came up with

l' hangar

hangar, shed, air-shed

l' abri

shelter, shed, cover, refuge, haven, bunker

le cabanon

shed, cottage, hut, booby hatch

Quite what a booby hatch is I dare not ask.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Agree 3