RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

I had a few trolleybus rides in the 50s although can't remember the routes.  During the school summer holidays my sister and I always spent a week with my Gran and Aunt in Morden and my Aunt used to take us to visit various sights and museums in London usually finishing with a visit to a Lyons Corner House.

Some useful time spent in The Shed today , so much so that Platform 2 is now complete.  Next up will be adding a siding in the goods yard.

The Boss made a rather nice Sausage and Leek casserole for dinner which was accompanied by quite a nice Australian  Cabernet Durif called Moonstruck.  According to the label it's "Hand crafted with grapes gathered in the still of the night.   Moonstruck is made for those who like to howl at the moon."

Yep, that's me all right.  Time for another glass.  G'day cobbers!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

.... Perhaps people should think what it must've been like during the 6 years of the Second World War:...

Well, quite! Although I was born well after the war (1956 if you ask) I remember growing up, spending the first 12 years of my life in a Britain that was still devastated from the Blitz and the V1/V2 attacks during the Second World War. Certainly until the early to mid 60s there was still enough bomb sites around that we were warned not to play on them. And whilst the various forms of rationing had ended in the mid to late 50s, Life was still fairly basic with a few luxuries - unlike today. 

As Mr Bear pointed out, there were significant deprivations imposed upon all countries and their populations by the various national war efforts. Somehow, I think that those complaining about cancelled plans and limited drinking times would go absolutely spare should they have to endure the limitations imposed on our grand parents (little to buy, limited choice and a weekly food ration consisting of - per person - Bacon & Ham - 4 oz; Other meat equivalent to 2 chops: Butter  2 oz Cheese 2 oz; Margarine - 4 oz Cooking fat-4oz; Milk- 3 pints; Sugar-8 oz; Tea-2 oz;  Eggs 1 fresh, plus allowance of dried egg).  Somehow, being forced to stay at home with your Netflix, your PS4 or Xbox and abundant deliveries of food and alcohol plus regular top ups of takeaways, all enlivened by access to the Internet, Doesn’t seem too much of a deprivation to me (oh, and I forgot to mention in World War II there also were significant travel restrictions placed on the population as well: if the trip wasn’t necessary to the war effort, it wasn’t made).

Another point to consider is that until the success of the D-Day landings and the campaign in Normandy in the West and the success of Operation Bagration in the East in 1944, there was a little assurance that the conflict would not last until 1946 or 47, if not longer. At least with COVID-19, we know that we will have a number of vaccines (of various types with various benefits and various drawbacks) within the next two years, if not sooner.

And one final point: in the Second World War everyone was at risk of dying, of being killed by enemy (and sometimes by friendly) action. With the current coronavirus pandemic, the risk of death for the majority of people under the age of 65 - 70 and without any significant comorbidities (or vulnerabilities)  is minimal.

The estimated death toll for six years of war was 70,000,000 to 85,000,000, whereas the death toll for CoVID-19 since this time last year (the pandemic is thought to have started up around October last year) is 1,09 million. Even being incredibly pessimistic and anticipating a yearly death toll of about the same number as for this year (which is unlikely, as the virus seems to be mutating and people are getting less sick and for shorter periods of time, Clinicians now know how to better treat the disease and a vaccine is on the horizon), should the pandemic last as long as the Second World War, worldwide casualties would still be only about 6 to 7,000,000. Which puts it into perspective somewhat.

As Franklin D Roosevelt said “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself“ and that I think is the root of the problem: not so much the disease itself (as nasty as it is, it is still relatively mild compared with an awful lot of the communicable diseases out there), but the fear of the disease.

Bibe et suaviter tibi sit cras enim mori nobis cibum

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's what happens when you leave your caravans unattended.

They'll have the wheels and side sheets off them as soon as look at you.

I didn't think that Mike went to Scouse land.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's what happens when you leave your caravans unattended.

They'll have the wheels and side sheets off them as soon as look at you.

In Mikes area it wouldn’t be a caravan, probably “shepherds style writing cabin”.

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, quite! Although I was born well after the war (1956 if you ask) I remember growing up, spending the first 12 years of my life in a Britain that was still devastated from the Blitz and the V1/V2 attacks during the Second World War. Certainly until the early to mid 60s there was still enough bomb sites around that we were warned not to play on them. And whilst the various forms of rationing had ended in the mid to late 50s, Life was still fairly basic with a few luxuries - unlike today. 

As Mr Bear pointed out, there were significant deprivations imposed upon all countries and their populations by the various national war efforts. Somehow, I think that those complaining about cancelled plans and limited drinking times would go absolutely spare should they have to endure the limitations imposed on our grand parents (little to buy, limited choice and a weekly food ration consisting of - per person - Bacon & Ham - 4 oz; Other meat equivalent to 2 chops: Butter  2 oz Cheese 2 oz; Margarine - 4 oz Cooking fat-4oz; Milk- 3 pints; Sugar-8 oz; Tea-2 oz;  Eggs 1 fresh, plus allowance of dried egg).  Somehow, being forced to stay at home with your Netflix, your PS4 or Xbox and abundant deliveries of food and alcohol plus regular top ups of takeaways, all enlivened by access to the Internet, Doesn’t seem too much of a deprivation to me (oh, and I forgot to mention in World War II there also were significant travel restrictions placed on the population as well: if the trip wasn’t necessary to the war effort, it wasn’t made).

Bomb sites - yes, they were our 'plaything' ... that has led to a rebuilding observation - the cry of 'petrol' went up and a whole garden flashed flame.

Rationing - can you imagine a primary school child having the ration books and going from school at 3.30pm (no 24 hour clock used the) to the grocers to purchase the weeks supply of food and then carrying it home?  No need for imagination - fact, that was one of my weekly 'duties'.

Worse car drive - clutch gone and brakes failed going downhill in Croydon trying to stop at a red traffic light ... handbrake pulled so hard  I was not strong enough to release it later, crunched into reverse and then glad that I belonged to the AA.

Cannot comment on wines and food the first no thanks and the latter in restaurants for me is normally unpalatable.  Thanks to John of Coombe ... had my shingles vaccination today.

• Like 16

When I was eleven years old I became a commuter of sorts and travelled to school by trolleybus.  Sadly it did not last as they were all scrapped and replaced by slow and smelly diesels.  We always used to let the diesels go past whenever there was a chance of a trolley.  In more recent years I have found trolleys in various overseas places although and even managed to take a ride.  Last summer I saw some very impressive new ones in Rome which are battery powered in the city centre and then automajically connect to the wires once they've reached the suburbs.

Regarding car rides, I thought there were only two passenger states - pink or white knuckles.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. There's still a few museums where you can ride on a trolleybus and I did about five years ago at Carlton Colville. The only time that I've travelled on a trolleybus in public service since I was a youngster was in Athens in 1978. They were ancient Italian vehicles obtained second-hand and not in the best condition. They had some brand new Russian vehicles in service but I never managed to get a ride on one.

• Like 17

Morning!

More a late faller than an early riser!

4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

I had a few trolleybus rides in the 50s although can't remember the routes.  During the school summer holidays my sister and I always spent a week with my Gran and Aunt in Morden and my Aunt used to take us to visit various sights and museums in London usually finishing with a visit to a Lyons Corner House.

No there's a memory; Lyons Corner House. ISTR a three storey building offering different styles of catering on each storey! An Institution in their own right!

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. There's still a few museums where you can ride on a trolleybus and I did about five years ago at Carlton Colville. The only time that I've travelled on a trolleybus in public service since I was a youngster was in Athens in 1978. They were ancient Italian vehicles obtained second-hand and not in the best condition. They had some brand new Russian vehicles in service but I never managed to get a ride on one.

IIRC, Geneva and Luzern both have double bendy trolley buses in current service! The amazing thing is that the drive is in the back section!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, BokStein said:

IIRC, Geneva and Luzern both have double bendy trolley buses in current service! The amazing thing is that the drive is in the back section!

Here (Greater Vancouver) all the bendy buses - trolleys and diesels - drive on the back section.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Toronto had trolley coaches for  most of my time there. The major purchase was about 1950. (sorry, not up on dates)

The bus bodies had a lifespan of 20 years but the mechanisms were good for 60. In 1970 or so they looked for someone that would supply bodies only and found one. They replaced the whole fleet but bought buses from other cities so that the mechanisms would be standard. (the original system had bought from other sities that were abandoning almost-new trolleys).  When the time came that the replacement bodies were going, they decided to abandon trolley buses altogether.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Bear's up.......:angry:

Brekkies scoffed;  Tesco Extra asap before the cockwombles surface, then later on I'll hit the Barber for the first time since March (there's been a couple of reasonable DIY cuts since then).  My Barber has re-opened (I thought he may have shut for good) and as I'm (a) starting to look less like a Bear and more like the Dulux Dog, and (b) probably heading for a another lockdown I thought I'd get in now.

Then it's the joys of draining down and refilling the CH system, this time including Inhibitor; the replacement radiator bleed screw has arrived so it *should* be all systems go.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3