The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. C*******s lights have started going up hereabouts. Like some other ER's I'm the dishwasher, living on my own its not worth having one. The bread pudding has depleted 50% already. Bin day tomorrow, managed to put the bags out between showers though. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

We went to the local Basilica and Museum for 11:00.  There was a fly by from the Warbirds museum. One was a Harvard which was going over the cemetaries; the other 3 were going over the cenotaphs. The basilica started tolling its bell at 11 and (by our neighbour's watch) went on for 6 minutes.

My father said that when he was first at an airbase in England there was a huge noise overhead. The man with them said "It's either a Harvard or 16 Spitfires."  We could hear it from a couple of miles away.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

After recent good news regarding a vaccine the chancellor is now considering ways of paying for the virus episode. As predictable as night follows day.

It does appear that Capital Gains Tax could be in for a good kicking:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908037

:(

8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

After my mid afternoon muggertea I made a ‘Salted Caramel Upside Down Apple and Ginger Cake’. Sheila found the recipe on line and I printed off a copy this morning. It was a relatively easy cake to make, all of the ingredients, apart from fresh ginger (which I picked up on Monday) , I had in store so it was just a question of putting it all together. As there are just 2 of us,  I only used half the amounts listed, but it made quite a big cake, e had some tonight after tea and the remainder will last us another 2 meals. 

Goodnight all 

What a missed opportunity :cry:- if you'd left the amounts as-described it would've (a) avoided the need for any difficult sums, and (b) enabled you to pass on the remaining cake to someone a lttle Bear that has never even seen or sniffed a salted caramel upside down apple and ginger cake, let alone tasted one.....

• Like 11
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Neil. I've looked it up and it appears that it is so. Arthur Itis began many years ago but the eczema only started a few years ago. Its a complicated story involving medications for other complaints, Flavio might be able to explain it better than I can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the chilly outback of the boring borough. 

Another night of schitty non-sleep. Was very tempted to call in a sickie today, take some drugs and stay in bed, but here I am. <sigh>

In exciting less boring news, the virgins are delivering a new box that goes bzzzzt today. After they dug up half the pavements in the area over the past few months to upgrade their fibre, I will be getting their 1gb package. I can expense it so why not. 

A bit of muddling was enjoyed last evening. I've decided that I need more £££ to upgrade more locos to Loksound decoders. <ducks the awl of doom>

latte consumed, the siren's call of the pot of filter coffee is tempting. 

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We could get rid of our alarm clocks and other wake up devices.  We seem to get a regular robo call informing us we have a problem with our internet service. Aditi informs me that swearing at robots is pointless. 
It looks like a nice day, it rained overnight. Shopping should be arriving later, I don’t think the message about missing items or substitutions has arrived yet.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Feeling a bit rough myself,, More sleep needed and I need to get used to this lack of carbs..

I don't need an alarm clock, I've got a Ben...

Now setting up for measuring current shunts..  Big ones, it will get a bit warmer in here... But not as much as if that Temperature meter cal went wrong... 

There might be a very big Bang in French Guiana.... I found the meter was for Ariane Group, once I got to doing the paper work.. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

After lots of heavy rain overnight, but it’s currently sunny and 8C with very little wind. I don’t know how long it will last! I’ve got nothing planned for outside today, we were forecast rain so I was going to potter about in the cellar, but I’ll see if there are any jobs to do in the garden to take advantage of the sunshine, at this time of year there are always leaves to sweep up!

We got our first dishwasher sometime in the mid 80’s, we’ve been using one ever since, I think we’re on our 3rd or 4th one now. It gets used daily, we just use fresh cups, plates, cutlery etc throughout the day, pop it all in the dishwasher after they’ve been used and switch it on after tea! It’s usually only used once a day, but when we’ve had parties (remember them?) it could get used 2 or 3 times, depending on how many have been round!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

We could get rid of our alarm clocks and other wake up devices.  We seem to get a regular robo call informing us we have a problem with our internet service. Aditi informs me that swearing at robots is pointless. 
It looks like a nice day, it rained overnight. Shopping should be arriving later, I don’t think the message about missing items or substitutions has arrived yet.

Tony

May I suggest a possible solution to your 'early morning wake up call' - something we have used to great effect. When the call comes through respond in the affirmative and wait then to be connected to an operator. At which point listen to what is said and then politely state that they are in breach of the telecommunications act 1998 and the data protection act 2018 and if your number is not removed within twenty fours ( other time frames are available) they will be reported to the information commissioner who can levy a fine. Then ask for the company details. If they refuse to give you them or argue then reiterate the above thank them and put the phone down. You may get a follow up call which you can either ignore or repeat the process. This will either scare the s..t out them and they'll hang up or they'll apologise and say that they will arrange for it to be done. We did this a few times and now don't get any calls. The other thing to do is to register on line with the telephone preference service. This ensures your number is barred from such calls.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

TPS has worked for about 99% of calls here, only get the very occasional one, scams of course.

Still windy out but bright, may take a walk around the village to see if it is still there.  One Post Office/general store, one hairdresser, a pub, a church, that's your lot.  There was a branch of a local-ish butcher, but the lad running it had sticky fingers in the till too often so they pulled the plug.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Afternoon All,

Rant mode on.

Silly old woman across the road who refuses to wear face protection has got home hairdresser around. She arrived and sheepishly sneaked up the drive. Naughty,naughty. 
Shops abusing the ‘right to open’. Been reading  article on BBC website regarding shops opening to sell essential items. Would any ER suffer if shops like The Range closed for the month. I’ve been in a couple of times but not seen anything that I’d call essential and couldn’t get from the super next door. It’s really a struggle for the small independent traders. I’m sure GDB would manage to get his X...s decorations somewhere and manage without set of new towels.
You can switch back on, rant over.

Robert

ps feel another rant brewing regarding on line shops that have benefited from the current situation and don’t pay enough corporations tax.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

We had a Tesco open in our nearest town (08:00 to  20:00), no free bus service since everyone had to go to that town for shopping anyway,

since then we have lost.

All 3 banks including the one on Bank street.

The Bakers on Bakers street.

Two of the 3 news agents but one in the last week has just reopened as an open all hours mini shop with a few newspapers.

One supermarket,

There are several other shops gone too, not because our Tesco competes against them, but because the foot fall in the high street dropped people just drive into the tesco car park and then leave not using the rest of town...

The survivors

The post office... it's the regional one from where all the mail is delivered from so it's doing OK.

The butchers, but only because half the shop is now doing roast meat Baguettes, they also do events... (Good Baguettes!!!)

The Chemists  (BOOTS)

The chip shop 

The two chinese,

The Two indian,

The Kebab shop

A small hardware store who wanted Tesco in the first place, but now hates it as the footfall isn't past his door..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Afternoon All,

Rant mode on.

Silly old woman across the road who refuses to wear face protection has got home hairdresser around. She arrived and sheepishly sneaked up the drive. Naughty,naughty.

Robert

ps feel another rant brewing regarding on line shops that have benefited from the current situation and don’t pay enough corporations tax.

Rant away...

Sounds like a call to the plod is in order, along with a car registration number.  A word in her shell-like wouldn't go amiss....

As for on-line shops, I suspect Amazon are doing very nicely out of this, thank you very much.  As for how much tax they pay to the uk.......2/3rds of 3/5ths of f.all.

• Like 10
  • Agree 7