Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Spent half an hour chasing up where my prescription has gone. Checked the surgery pharmacy.. nope..

they checked and it had been sent to the now closed pharmacy.. so she then checked the old address and was redirected to another pharmacy - they have the prescription.. should be ready later today.. Result!!

and adverts wise I still see Oxfam ads and now one selling new houses and Fords...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

And now - Good Afternoon all,

Weather soggy but that is hardly news of any kind as our feeble excuse for winter continues its desultory meanderings towards the turn of the year.   The GD is on night from tonight so the slight later onset of sunset won't make much difference and by the time she's back on days she'll be getting a little bit of extra darkness for her trip to work.  

Over the years i must say one of the more interesting impacts of the change of the year and the seasons was when I was driving to & from work over a distance of about 8 largely rural miles where not only did the amount of light and the weather change but the nature of the agricultural traffic and what it left on the road surface also ran through the different parts of the farming year.  you didn't need to consult anything other than the road surface and hedgerows to know what season it was although muck spreading, ploughing, and hay making aren't really recognised seasons.  But overall far nicer than traipsing, on the train, into London through suburbia although it wasn't so bad going in the opposite direction as there was much more countryside to watch from the train window over the 40 odd miles from Reading to Swindon which was my daily commute for almost 9 years,   And that also included the interest of the micro climate effect around Didcot Power Station which was busily making its own clouds.

Thanks for the reminder re prescriptions - I must get an order in as I'm down to two weeks worth on a number of items.  And in a similar vein (sorry). the Good Count's daughter Kerry must have done a good job yesterday because the INR was well within the target range and not far removed from the ideal number.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Also we were using newish maps with an MoD over print so calculating differences was quick because we nly had to account fior a couple of years.

As GPS devices don’t need magnets to work do they show true north or are they corrected in software to show magnetic north? Probably doesn’t matter on car sat nav systems though!

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Chewsday, morning all.

Only thing happening yesterday apparently was that Joe Biden won the presidential election, according to that most peculiar of bodies the "Electoral College". Wow, who knew :jester: - well, everyone except a  maniacal  few who probably continue to dispute it - oh well.

Life continues slowly here, we spent a large amount of time yesterday early evening working on the latest puzzle, so much so that we ended up having dinner more than an hour later than usual, we must've been enjoying ourselves :)

-11 overcast and a "bit nippy" getting the newspaper, -2 the expected high!

Enjoy the day.

• Like 19

56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

As GPS devices don’t need magnets to work do they show true north or are they corrected in software to show magnetic north? Probably doesn’t matter on car sat nav systems though!

They read/receive true north, but depending on the device and options/settings they can be set to show either true or magnetic north.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I received a reply from the (Essex) county councillor responsible for highways who I e-mailed about the ongoing local road 'improvements'. All it was was the usual politicians waffle about what they've done to inform residents what was going to be done but not addressing the fact that what they said would be done and should have been done hasn't. I've now passed the correspondence onto the media in the shape of the BBC local news.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I received a reply from the (Essex) county councillor responsible for highways who I e-mailed about the ongoing local road 'improvements'. All it was was the usual politicians waffle about what they've done to inform residents what was going to be done but not addressing the fact that what they said would be done and should have been done hasn't. I've now passed the correspondence onto the media in the shape of the BBC local news.

Getting a response is quite good from Essex County Council. I got stuck in the “already reported “ box after requesting a streetlight repair. Everything went in circles. Then I found (may never be able to again!) a complaints department. A nice lady rang me back and said she had issued an order for Highways to respond within 7 days. A couple of days later a truck turned up and repaired the lamp. I thanked the nice lady.

Tony

• Like 18

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

... although muck spreading, ploughing, and hay making aren't really recognised seasons.  

People joke that there are only two seasons in Winnipeg - “minus 40” and “mosquitos”.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Filling.. fixed.. i want some of that uv setting stuff they use.. too expensive to let me borrow some though! Pah!

I don’t know how much you want, but it is available to buy. Google “Bondic”.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Getting a response is quite good from Essex County Council. I got stuck in the “already reported “ box after requesting a streetlight repair. Everything went in circles. Then I found (may never be able to again!) a complaints department. A nice lady rang me back and said she had issued an order for Highways to respond within 7 days. A couple of days later a truck turned up and repaired the lamp. I thanked the nice lady.

Tony

Good heaven's a council actually responding to a 'customer' other epithets are available such as; idiot, money cow and ratepayer. The women will not last, she must have been new and not have gone on  the induction/indoctrination training.:rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10