The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like just the sort of person that needs tying by the ankles to the back of a dustcart and taken for a drag round the streets on the next bin day.

At one time local binmen often had a large Teddy Bear attached to the front of their truck. Don’t see that now. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My dentist is very reluctant to cause pain. On one occasion he said he thought  the injection would probably hurt more than the filling so how did I feel about not having a local anaesthetic. I said I was happy to go with his decision but would he be upset if I bit him if it hurt. He opted for the injection. 
Tony

I have usually established a similar understanding with my dentists; you hurt, I bite! Seems to work!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My dentist is very reluctant to cause pain.

My dentist is the same - he takes the view that if it hurts he's doing it wrong.

The sight of a poly's fangs helps focus his attention though....:laugh:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Getting a response is quite good from Essex County Council. I got stuck in the “already reported “ box after requesting a streetlight repair. Everything went in circles. Then I found (may never be able to again!) a complaints department. A nice lady rang me back and said she had issued an order for Highways to respond within 7 days. A couple of days later a truck turned up and repaired the lamp. I thanked the nice lady.

Tony

It wasn't the council per se' it was the county councillor responsible for highways. The response was a standard 'brush off' letter so thats why I notified the media in the shape of the local BBC. We no longer have any local newspapers worthy of the name, same as many other places.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It wasn't the council per se' it was the county councillor responsible for highways. The response was a standard 'brush off' letter so thats why I notified the media in the shape of the local BBC. We no longer have any local newspapers worthy of the name, same as many other places.

The Eastern Daily Press doesn’t seem to get down to the estuary. For some reason articles from that seem to appear in my Twitter timeline. Usually about someone up to no good north of Colchester.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Evening all.

I love maps and map reading. I think I would prefer a map on my wall rather than a painting or photograph.  They can themselves be beautiful works of art as well as many of them containing good (and sometimes not so good) memories.  I’m strange like that though.

One of the first things we learned to do in the Boy Sprouts and then on the ML course was to set your map. I suspect I would need to check the magnetic deviation data on some of my early maps which are priced in shillings and pence.

I too like maps. A couple of years ago I was able to get my hands on a load of 25" to the mile OS maps ex British Rail. They were recovered from a skip during an office clearance, only trouble is that you need  a big table to open these maps out. The sea charts are of similar size and a bit more colourful but the problem with displaying them would be the bits cut out. Though also in Ostend there was a bar with the charts papering the walls and ceiling, one way of displaying them.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Our local rag got taken over by Johnstone Press and has declined in quality and increased in price ever since. When i was younger it was printed by Yorkshire weekly newspapers in Wakefield. The problem was in either the newsprint paper or the ink they used you ended up with black hands reading it. When i had my paper round Thursdays (publication day) i used to come home filthy.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I used to have 2 large Raf overprint maps of the Uk on my bedroom walls. They had Airfields powerlines and tall structures marked on them im a dark blue. 

I've got some of those too, from a mate who was an airframe fitter.  Not sure why he needed maps!

• Like 14

Maps: great reading!

31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I too like maps. A couple of years ago I was able to get my hands on a load of 25" to the foot OS maps ex British Rail. They were recovered from a skip during an office clearance, only trouble is that you need  a big table to open these maps out. The sea charts are of similar size and a bit more colourful but the problem with displaying them would be the bits cut out. Though also in Ostend there was a bar with the charts papering the walls and ceiling, one way of displaying them.

i.e. twice full scale? No wonder they don't fit on the dining room table!!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Maps: great reading!

i.e. twice full scale? No wonder they don't fit on the dining room table!!

Oops, I meant to write mile, duly amended. Thats what comes from being a railway modeller, most things are quoted as to the foot such as 4mm or 7mm to the foot.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I freely confess to being a map fan as well. I have a map of British Rail's passenger network (1979-80) on my office wall. I did have a GWR map on the other wall but I needed the space for another stack of bookshelves. Perhaps when I've finished the great sort-out, I'll find it a new home. And, more boringly, there's also a laminate of a map of the local area. 

In the living room we have a pictorial style map of part of Wales, I think it's one in a series covering certain National Parks as I've seen others on sale. And I never got round to buying one but I've seen a 3D map of the Yorkshire Dales, with the contours and colours on it. Last time I looked, it was £75 but if you had a suitable space to hang it, it looked a great feature. 

• Like 17

21 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

While working at RAAF base Tindal I stopped in at the pub at Daly Waters to find dozens of bras and other skimpy clothing bits hanging from the ceiling. Apparently a bus driver in the '80's challenged his female passengers to a drinking competition, the loser had to hang their undies from the ceiling of the pub and a tradition was born.  

(For those thinking "Hmmm, a bus driver in a drinking competition, that sounds somewhat concerning...", it is an overnight stop   - and its pretty hot.) 

Apparently the pub is   coming up for sale shortly. Could be just the thing for anyone there wanting a change from the wet and the lockdowns. At 600km from Darwin and a town population of 9, social distancing would not be an issue, and you'd get young tourist ladies coming in and taking off their bra all the time. 

Also, as per photo 3 there is air-conditioning in parts so the summer outback temps would not be an issue, just need to get used to all the bloody flies.

1802222785_dalywaters2.jpg.33dbe76dd9932c5ec843432d28e36140.jpg

940721465_dalywaters1.jpg.3fa6c025bd12faa3489ad1edf829653d.jpg

1089023661_dalywaters3.jpg.png.77c2bc49fe88dc5715744829fc9bf051.png

H & S could have a field day here!:o

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

Evening All,

i too enjoy maps, when we go on walking holidays I get a map as soon as we arrive to ‘understand’ the terrain and what walks are suitable for us. I don’t particularly collect maps but I do have somewhere one of Sodor from when I was a kid. I think this may have been the beginning of  my liking of maps.

As it’s Tuesday we’ve had Syd and the boys round but I went to the pharmacy for a couple of hours to help the part-time pharmacist out as it’s beginning to get busy. After that tea and the footie and as you’re asking, yes the Reds did win, three wins on the bounce.

Still no decorations up here and nothing wrapped. No plans yet for the big day but that may be fortunate as there’s talk of a revision of the Xmas relaxation. Having said that just me, SWMBO and Mil (who’s in our bubble) having dinner together would be a real hoot.

Nephews round for breakfast tomorrow so I’d better with you a goodnight.

Robert

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7