Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Did you have those exercise books in primary school with all kinds of measurement units on the back cover? 

Yes. Most of them I still remember. 

Nails, hands, rods, poles, perches ..... 

Avoirdupois versus Troy

In other news white rain was reported by colleagues earlier today. Anyone arriving from south of the Croydon Ranges (those hilly bits beyond the Swan and Sugar Loaf ;) ) would probably have woken to find the ground covered with fluffy stuff and more of it falling down. 

None of that in the blissful warmth of the House of Fun where the temperature remained stubbornly at 2C all morning and liquid rain gave way - eventually - to wan sun. 

Greetings all. Happy Wetness Day. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Except with a very long pole

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

16 feet 6 inches?

Two parrots on a perch......

.....one said to the other can you smell fish?

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BoD said:

I’ve still got a couple.  
You didn’t think I’d actually remembered that did you?

I can remember having to do £sd calculations and ounce, pound and stone conversions at primary school. I wasn’t very good at arithmetic then, so was quite pleased that at secondary school the metric system was used except in engineering and woodwork lessons. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

If you convert prices  to pounds shillings and pence, then everything seems very expensive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Finally, around 3PM, the head of "Enterprise Applications" (one of the folks exchanging about 2 dozen emails with me) sent the following;

"Can you disconnect from the VPN and try again, our team believes this to be resolved".

I THINK, since it did now work perfectly, that is shorthand for;

"we did something REALLY REALLY STUPID again with your access and it's taken 10 of us 3 days to figure it out. That's NOT to say we're IDIOTS, but it may LOOK LIKE THAT if we admit to it"...

Nothing else going on here, the White House rant-meister continues to assail our senses, but everyone I know is counting down the days...

Please tell Bear that you couldn't resist sending an email saying "I told you so....." :laugh:

As for the Chief Cockwomble, we saw some of the current goings-on in the States on BBC News; Trumpie's bunch of cheerleaders are still convinced they've won/have been cheated etc. etc.  I reckon there's a few street squabbles fast approaching and it ain't gonna be pretty.

• Agree 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I see the Hornby generic coaches thread is still merrily frothing away, already on fourteen pages when only about three will do. I have obtained a copy of the 2021 Hornby catalogue, its on sale in Tess Coes from today.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Oops, pressed the submit button before I'd finished. My friend is at last going on line, a case of having to as his sons school has given his lad a tablet to continue his education under lock down. I'm trying to persuade him to join RMweb.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 8

Good Evening one and awl.

Pride has been taken in deciding to buy some Hornby; 66773 and 9/11ths of 390 119 now on order. They'll look good in a TrainSafe wall display!

In other news, an observation:

9 hours ago, BoD said:

It’s hardly a job that they can do working from home. :D

IIRC, nobody has explicitly stated form who's home one should work so, therefore, all window cleaners are working from home; it just happens to be yours! ;)

In a measured response,

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Strangely 'Helen of Avoirdupois' doesn't have quite the same sort of ring to it.  Hardly likely to launch many ships I'd have thought..

Might take a while to fathom out! Meanwhile, 10 cricket pitches = 1 furlong.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Meanwhile, amid all this excitement I neglected to charge my phone yesterday.  It now appears lifeless.  Why am I so hopeless with technology?

I suggest that is the wrong question. Ask not why you are so hopeless with technology, but why technology is so hopeless with you? *

In my experience, usually if you plug the phone in to recharge anyway, it splutters into life (eventually). It may require some button pressing and/or plug-pulling/inserting. 

* Not just a cheap gag based on a JFK speech but a serious gripe based on my own experience with technology. 

• Like 13