Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

Busy weekend with a variety of things going on, most, of course, on Zoom or social distancing!

Young local lad - 14 at best - working to pay off his new golf clubs (parents "recommended he do that :) ) did an excellent job of poo-pickup in our back yard. An entire winters worth. :O

He's got a lot of local support and neighbors signing up for him to work at, good luck to him as he seems very conscientious.

We had an excellent neighborhood get-together around a fire pit Saturday. Weather very cooperative, nice to be able to do that again.

Clocks changed overnight Saturday, they really need to decided on that carp and leave them ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!

Sunday, the Mrs got together with a great niece for some "whatever" while I was charged with sorting out the garage, and we then in the evening managed to solve our murder mystery! Yay! :)

So here we are, back working on Monday. Weather over the weekend was very nice, hit 15 Saturday afternoon and had sun all day.

Today, back to MinneSNOWta.  -1 and overcast first thing, started snowing about 30 minutes ago and we may get 4-8 inches of wet snow, but forecast very varied so far.

Tally ho.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Young local lad - 14 at best - working to pay off his new golf clubs (parents "recommended he do that :) ) did an excellent job of poo-pickup in our back yard. An entire winters worth. :O

He's got a lot of local support and neighbors signing up for him to work at, good luck to him as he seems very conscientious.

Fifty Bucks for shovellin' sh1t.  Bear missed a trick somewhere.....

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

We used to have a term for the latter when it followed an interface between a human and a fast train.  In that situation when the police arrived the first thing they always did was count the number of arms or legs etc (if they could find them) to ascertain how many victims were involved a difficult task if a fast train had been involved.   At the first one I ever attended - which was a night of tragi-comedy as it happened - I picked up a sock (empty) which had been on one of the victim's feet several hundred yards from the site,  the coppers were happy because they had at least accounted for both his socks.

Bear recalls a programme where they were following the London Fire Brigade; one call was to a jumper under a tube train.  The Fire Chief explained that it is quite common for people to survive initially, only to die as the train is jacked up and off them.  Not recommended.

In other news:

Bear has finished prepping the kitchen floor for the Tiler tomorrow :yahoo:.  I've a strong suspicion that paws will let me know all about it tomorrow though.  That's the last sh1t job on the kitchen refurb - I think.  From now on it should be interesting, constructive jobs not involving dust everywhere.  I'm so happy I could almost share a LDC, if I had one.....:(

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes, we used to have to account for all the major parts. The infra red camera on the helicopter was very useful as it could find limbs for quite some time after the incident. The fearful thought was a repeat of an incident  that had happenned in the 70's when someone had spotted a local mutt carrying a foot down Hemsworth High Street.  

Jamie

I thought that was normal for there 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Fifty Bucks for shovellin' sh1t.  Bear missed a trick somewhere.....

Bear recalls a programme where they were following the London Fire Brigade; one call was to a jumper under a tube train.  The Fire Chief explained that it is quite common for people to survive initially, only to die as the train is jacked up and off them.  Not recommended.

In other news:

Bear has finished prepping the kitchen floor for the Tiler tomorrow :yahoo:.  I've a strong suspicion that paws will let me know all about it tomorrow though.  That's the last sh1t job on the kitchen refurb - I think.  From now on it should be interesting, constructive jobs not involving dust everywhere.  I'm so happy I could almost share a LDC, if I had one.....:(

I believe that is quite common in crush injuries poisons can build up and are released when the weight is removed. The weight can also prevent blood loss and when removed the victim csn bleed out rapidly.

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Successful trip to Tess Coes earlier and I now have sufficient meals for the next few days. I've seen the aftermath of a RTA and thats something I never want to see again. That was way back in the 1960's on the A12 near the Gants Hill roundabout. A Bedford Viva van had hit a lamp post on the meridian strip. The front end of the van was wrapped around the lamp post and the van was facing to the way it had come. A couple of people were attending the driver but it was obviously too late, there were no collapsible steering columns back then. My cousin who was driving was too busy checking the inevitable traffic jam to look, just as well. In the 50+ years since I have never had the inclination to rubberneck when I see an accident. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I believe that is quite common in crush injuries poisons can build up and are released when the weight is removed. The weight can also prevent blood loss and when removed the victim csn bleed out rapidly.

Yes - that was mentioned in the programme.  The Chief was saying that there are times when one of the fire crew are having a conversation with the victim whilst the rest of the crew prep the jacking gear.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I object to daylight saving. If the government wants me to be at work at 7:00 instaed of 8:00 it can pass legislation to that effect, rather than lying about what time it is.

We managed to change most of the clocks last night except one that was dropped behind the washing machine. That was retrieved but one of the hands had bent enough to interfere with the other hand. I managed to sort that this morning.

Temperatures have risen enough here that there is more grass than snow showing.

DST brought a dusting of snow this morning.  Over the years including DBST years ago, I've got used to it although I'd be quite happy without it.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd love them to leave things as summer time, liking long evenings.  It also makes more sense to me to have daylight more at the end of a winters day when people are tired after a days work and more likely to have an accident or not see a pedestrian, rather than in the morning.

Eyes finally now back in working order, the dilation & anaesthetic stuff they used in the hospickle must be stronger than that at the opticians, took ages to get things working properly in the lookenpeeper department.

Some bits arrived for Mrs NHN's modern bike today, so that will be tomorrows task.  No doubt an inspection will be necessary at 5.30!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

One of the relatives is obsessed with the clock changes. Even changing a time zone by an hour throws him into some stressed state. I am afraid I haven’t really been sympathetic. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I'm with Neil on keeping summer time all year for the reasons stated. The objection about it being dark in the mornings in the more northerly and/or westerly parts of the country is in my opinion facetious. As said before people used to rise with the sun and go to bed when it was dark. It would be a simple act to avoid dark mornings by opening schools and businesses later in the morning during the winter months. The reason DST was introduced was to aid production of munitions during WW1 and it has now become an anachronism.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

Evening All,

Hope all is well with the ERs.

Did get up relatively early and worked until 5pm. Unfortunately not much was actually achieved partly due to manager messaging to say one of the printer was looking like it was going to croak it. Took best part of 3 hours to get a replacement as it appears to be out of stock every where but managed to get one from eBay that had been purchased in error and was new in box. More messing about trying to get quotes for building work, harder than what I thought it would be. 
Early night as fetching nephews tomorrow for breakfast and then school run but it does have its rewards as Sydney will be with us for the day.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

...snip... And when you have digested that and remembered which dates the various changes occur on you can tell me when the train arrives!  That was always fun on the inter-state runs.  

I am sure that that made for some really interesting printed schedules. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

I am surprised that more manipulation of daylight saving times havent been attempted on Environmental grounds to reduce the amount of lighting and therefore electrickery needed. Im not saying it would work but i am surprised it hasnt been proposed 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Printers have been in short supply during lockdowns due to people working from home we had to replace ours just before Christmas what a nightmare

Aditi asked ages ago about getting a printer that would print photos nicely as our previous inkjet had died a few years ago. We have laser colour and mono printers but I never got round to sorting out a replacement. So I was fairly surprised at the general lack of availability when I looked over the weekend. Perhaps I will carry on waiting for a while. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18