The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that you're supposed to take the wrapping off....

In my humble experience that is not absolutely essential ;) :O:nyam:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

17th May 2027 ..... or that's the plan at the moment.  Looking forward to it in many ways.  Still no news on which hemisphere it might be in but my money is on right here where we are.  Dr. SWMBO disagrees.

If it’s the lower hemisphere, be aware of the ‘freezing’ of UK government pensions!

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My draft will arrived this morning, something to do over the bank holiday. Though it will be cold over the bank holiday its predicted to be dry so perhaps a bit of the G word. If it does rain a bit of work on the layout will take place.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Retirement day for me was December 30, 1998 and was celebrated with a glass of champagne on a Northwest Airlines Jumbo rolling down the tarmac at Narita Airport, Tokyo bound for Hong Kong.

Was back in Tokyo as a tourist  a couple of weeks later (having surrendered my work permit on December 30) to stay with a friend to sort things out, visit some other friends in Asia to say goodbye and see parts of Japan I had not seen before returning to the UK on April 10, 1999 (crikey, nearing 22 years ago.....) conveniently allowing me to sort of my tax returns in Japan as of December 30, 1998 and arriving back in the UK just after the start of a new tax year.

Keith

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The 2 minature dachshunds on my earlier post are Crusoe and his brother Oakley Dokily they are a Canadian you tube sensation they do some very entertaining videos 

They do a very good Easter bunny sketch.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In short, and if I understand matters correctly, my UK State pension and company funds will be taxed at 33.3% upon departure from the UK and taxed as income by Australia at 20% therefore I lose 53.3% of the accumulated value from 30-odd years and a bit more in currency conversion.  

I think you should check that. Tax matters between any two countries are particular to those two countries, but that is not what happens with my UK pensions - one government and one occupational. 

Neither are taxed in the UK. I declare both as income in Canada, and they are included in my taxable income for Canadian Revenue Agency purposes.

We have our UK pensions deposited directly into Canadian accounts. Some UK expat pensioners have their pensions deposited into UK accounts, and move money to Canada themselves as required. However, apart from the risk of the conversion rate fluctuating over time, at any one time the UK government can apparently get a better conversion rate than an individual can, so we’re happy with direct deposit in Canada.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

The use-by-date lottery has given me several options for dinner tonight, decisions, decisions.

In the absence of sensible decision-making you could have more than one option ;) 

• Agree 6
  • Funny 4

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The use-by-date lottery has given me several options for dinner tonight, decisions, decisions.

With respect, the 'use by' date is somewhat arbitrary.

To quote Andrew Zimmern on the Food Network channel, "if it looks good, eat it!"

IIRC, the 'use by' and 'sell by' dates were a concoction of J. Sainsbury's to assist in stock rotation.

In effect, they have become so worshipped as to have knocked good old common sense into a cocked hat! (and caused a lot of food wastage to boot!)

Legend has it that if a bit of mould had not been seen on a slice of bread, we would not have found penicillin!

Ask yourself, cheese, pickling, corning (as in corned beef), tinning, salting, jam making, et alia are all ways developed by our forebears for preserving foods. What is the relevance on these products to the aforementioned dates? IMHO, NONE!!

I speak from the experience of having consumed 8 year old* jam and 7 year old* mustard, to give but a couple of examples. (* i.e. years after their printed dates!)

Question: why does the original recyclable product, water, have a use-by date? IMHO, I detect excrement of the bovine species here!

<rant over>!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have my tongue firmly in my cheek when I speak of the use by date lottery. Only the other day I was eating some marmalade that was twelve years out of date. The sound of the vacuum going when the jar was opened was proof that it was OK to eat.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Question: why does the original recyclable product, water, have a use-by date?

There are many plastic bottles that should never contain any foodstuffs, yet do. Even plastic water bottles certified as BPA free will still leach materials eventually.

While I will happily stipulate that "use by", "sell by" and "best by" dates are at best arbitrary, depending on what the container is made of, there are many otherwise stable products that can be contaminated by the packaging over time.

Some things you would think would never go bad do. Soda packaged in aluminium cans/tins will degrade over time and get very nasty. This does take years rather than months. I'm not sure what causes it, presumably the acids in the soda.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear has spotted his "Easter Egg" for 2021:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-56589889

Bear also noted the news report about a protest at Pimlico Academy; it seems one of the things the students objected to was....the flying of the Union Jack :O.  Perhaps they'd do well to remember all those millions of UK and Commonwealth Citizens that died to ensure that it could be flown....

Rant Over

In other news:

Bear spent all of half an hour painting part of a kitchen wall (behind the washer) - now complete.  I'll fit a new single socket tomorrow, and also give the cold supply pipe one last coat.  Then it's come up with a simple but acceptable plan for boxing in some pipework behind the washer.

Most of the day was spent in the back garden, sorting the shed and disposing of stuff that is no longer required.  Many items are now on Freegle (Freecycle) and are proving popular, whilst others are for sale on the 'bay etc.  One example is finding a nugget such as a 600 x 600 sheet of copper that I'd "forgotten" I'd had - that's now up for sale.

I've still to do the multi-drawer storage cabinet (about ten drawers of various tooling, metal stock etc. that stands over 4ft high) tomorrow, though I'm expecting a delivery of the kitchen wall tiles so have to be careful not to miss that - I'm hoping they give me an updated e.t.a rather than the "delivery some time between 9 and 5" that I have so far.:angry:

• Like 19

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Question: why does the original recyclable product, water, have a use-by date? IMHO, I detect excrement of the bovine species here!

A friend of ours was an elementary school teacher. As part of the school’s earthquake preparedness, large plastic totes were filled with various non-perishable supplies, including water in plastic bottles. The children were also encouraged to each place a small toy in the totes - the idea was for them to have something familiar and comforting in the event of an emergency. At one annual inspection, it was found that several of the water bottles had degraded in the dark (surprising, since materials more often degrade in sunlight), burst and soaked everything in the totes, including the toys.

• Informative/Useful 17

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:
3 hours ago, pH said:

f it’s the lower hemisphere, be aware of the ‘freezing’ of UK government pensions!

I am thank you.  And of the potential tax liability.  

Go where  you want to retire first then consider the tax situation!  My wife and I receive our UK pension which goes straight into investments which earn interest.  Saving is a waste of time with ridiculously low interest rates.  The UK and US have a deal with taxes which you can't do much about so we live with it; its enough to keep me in beer money!:drinks:

Brian.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear also noted the news report about a protest at Pimlico Academy; it seems one of the things the students objected to was....the flying of the Union Jack :O.  Perhaps they'd do well to remember all those millions of UK and Commonwealth Citizens that died to ensure that it could be flown....

Sadly, all too common!  Todays events are more important to a vocal few than the deeds of the past, of which a lot have no idea of.:sad_mini:

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

why does the original recyclable product, water, have a use-by date? IMHO, I detect excrement of the bovine species here!

If you detect that in the water it should not be consumed no matter what date it displays :jester:  

And on that note good night to one and all.  Sleep peacefully.  Wake refreshed.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Funny 9