RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

. His latest recipe includes, amongst other things, xantham gum.

Discuss!

enjoy Sunday

iD

Morning All,

xanthan gum is a common ingredient in GF products. I’ve checked my pie store and both contain xanthan gum. 
SWMBO has a pot of it for when she does some baking. 
Robert

• Informative/Useful 14

Good Morning.

I feel that today will turn into a non event quite rapidly! Let's just muddle through!

Flavio, I fear you may have missed my point, a jibe about the division of terminology North and South of the Watford Gap! I refer specifically to the distinction between 'lunch' and 'dinner'! A northern colleague has been with us at base for over a year (having already become betrothed to another colleague), so has moved 'down sarf'!

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Until my parents-in law-died, we always used to “dress for dinner“ at Christmas (nothing fancy, just basic black tie).  Nowadays, for the most part, when I “dress for dinner“ it is usually for a formal meal with my club which means full Highland regalia as opposed to dinner jacket and black tie.  One of these days I might horrify ER by posting a picture of me in full Scottish regalia.

His 'dinner time' is around midday, but he does not dress for dinner! Why?! I have offered him a bow tie! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

G'day all.

Happy birthday Dave.

Having had chicken un==pie for dinner yesterday evening t was interesting to see that Chrisf was also into a similar dish yesterday (it does needs some leeks to make it really nice).   Continuing on the dietary theme I've eaten roo on a couple of occasions out in Aus - very lean and with a texture which struck me as part way between good quality beef and equally good quality horse meat and a pleasant taste (although not at all gamey on either occasion I had it).  Visible below - if I remember to include it - is my first ever meal including roo meat in Sydney back in 2004, a very nice piece of fillet.   Incidentally in QLD they did put roo meat into 'meat pies' when there was a big surplus of it following one of the culls. 

Lots of sunshine but none too warm as yet but i shall no doubt be joining the outdoor dept 'ere long.

Have a good day one and all and thoughts remain very much with Dave's dad and Gordon

1137767876_211_DS1.JPG.e79befd52ea0f8aa0c5465f614c77858.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Breakfast/Brunch has been consumed and now on second muggatee. Many happy returns to Dave H and I hope his dad can be moved nearer home soon. As has been said Koala's are not good to eat. Apparently underneath that fur they are all skin and bone, eucalyptus is not all that nutritional. Job for this afternoon is assembling some boxes that will then contain items that run on two parallel strips of metal. To line the boxes I found some packing that is like sponge rubber but stiff like expanded polystyrene. It cuts like the ep but without the mess.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Breakfast/Brunch has been consumed and now on second muggatee. Many happy returns to Dave H and I hope his dad can be moved nearer home soon. As has been said Koala's are not good to eat. Apparently underneath that fur they are all skin and bone, eucalyptus is not all that nutritional. Job for this afternoon is assembling some boxes that will then contain items that run on two parallel strips of metal. To line the boxes I found some packing that is like sponge rubber but stiff like expanded polystyrene. It cuts like the ep but without the mess.

Expanded polyethylene? I have tons of it from packing at work, it is to be used as buoyancy in the boat..

At this price I could make a fortune.. the company throws pieces this size away...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254891103477?chn=ps&var=554739493667&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=554739493667_254891103477&targetid=1140163973929&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006964&poi=&campaignid=12128874943&mkgroupid=118280607793&rlsatarget=aud-629407026865:pla-1140163973929&abcId=9300481&merchantid=115014501&gclid=Cj0KCQjwppSEBhCGARIsANIs4p7aQNgscES1G0xN5HWICaYlEO-tAyHDl68HpD4mFCNZfJbB9iDIKFYaAmkjEALw_wcB

Defrosting with a muggacoffee before Ben gets me cold again on his long walk..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Its no surprise that roo meat tastes like venison. They share a common ancestor and both with camels as well. I wonder if you are getting served 'roo meat' in Australia your not getting camel instead. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sunshine and blue sky. 15C outside.

Happy Birthday to Dave Hunt.

A bit of muddling this morning, or rather filing down a small metal figure to reshape it.  The things I do for a living hobby. Probably more of that after lunch and a try at painting her into a fun loving, glamorous No.6 fan! I can dream, can't I? :laugh:

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie going bonkers.

Take care all and play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Thats the stuff, whats the best way to cut it?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Very late on parade today, late out of bed, then I set up tonight's tea, steak and ale casserole. I'd only been out in the garden about an hour or so and was sitting on the bench under the workshop window when I noticed that Sheila was at the front door, if the kitchen door is open, this is clearly visible. Mike had called round with the list of wedding guests and their choice of font. So I joined them at the door for a chat, an hour later he left. It was nice to be able to chat in the sunshine I stead of the rain, like last time. 

Happy birthday Dave. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

To which my reply is "Do you charge?"

Some do.  Some don't.  If you are prepared to invest in a meat pie it should come with (free) sauce as standard.  

One of life's great crimes is the replacement of bottles of tommy sauce for those stupid - and very environmentally unfriendly - tiny plastic sachets that so many establishments take great pleasure in charging for :angry:

Rant over....

In other news:

Relevant to the discussion regarding the connection of leccy cookers, ovens etc., Bear spent yesterday evening reviewing the requirements of the inbound oven and induction hob....

Well it seems that the both combined come to a total of 10.85Kw, so 45.2A :O  However, after further investigation at this horrific revelation (the dedicated feed from the CU to the cooker connection point is via a 40A breaker) I discovered that "diversity" (wtf?) is applied when calculating requirements.  This means that you take 100% of the first 10A of the load, plus 30% of the remainder; this gives a total of 20.56A - well within the 40A rating.  If the 45A cooker isolation switch also incorporates a mains socket that is fed from the 40A breaker then you add another 5A to the total calculated load - fortunately Bear's isolation switch incorporates a socket fed from the kitchen ring main, so the 5A doesn't apply.  Panic over :yahoo:

This morning's fun involved the destruction of the two remaining kitchen base units - the panels are now stacked in the back garden, awaiting disposal.  Much of Bear's kitchen implements, Marmite, Jam etc. now resides in carboard boxes scattered all over the shop.....

Finally, this one deserves a posting separate to the others still to follow - first class.....

image.png.e0fe6adbddacbd863e812b37ab02c0ab.png

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Funny 11

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well that’s going to have ChrisF spluttering into his Weetabix, make no mistake!

I wonder if koala ever did end up as dinner – either for the indigenous inhabitants of Australia or for starving European explorers?

And on that edible note, I will leave you with the following (quite literally) food for thought: it is estimated that humans regularly eat only about 10% of the plants and animals on the planet that humans can eat.

Discuss!

enjoy Sunday

iD

Too right, sport, except that I do not eat Weetabix.  It reminds me of building materials and I prefer food.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

I originally posted the following in what I think is the wrong thread although it followed on from some thread drift! 

I was about 15 when after a day at school I arrived home to find the police with my mother looking around our house. My mother had arrived home after doing some shopping to be met at the front door by two gents waving chisels. She wisely got out of their way and then phoned 999. She had conformed to the police that nothing was missing as far as she could see but she was not certain about my TT and 009 railway. The police asked me to check if anything was missing. At the time I had a timetable which was on postcards. I knew where I had been in the timetable when I had left the previous evening and found that all the stock was in the wrong places and then found the postcards had been moved and that the stock was in the correct positions for where the cards showed! From where they had started they must have been operating the layout for over an hour. If they had knocked on the door when I was at home I would happily have let them join me in operating sessions whenever they wanted. I think they had come to rob us but found the layout and got side tracked until my mother came home. They were never caught and we had lost nothing except for trust of our local area.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Too right, sport, except that I do not eat Weetabix.  It reminds me of building materials and I prefer food.

Chris

And eating shredded wheat reminds Bear of a loofa....

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Chris

I take it you don't like rice cakes then. They look like ceiling tiles, taste of nothing, so presumably similar to expanded poly, and have no apparent nutritional value.

Happy birthday to Dave; I hope his visit to his Dad goes well.

Sunny here but with a chilly nor'east wind.  I was planning some outside jobs but have gone off the idea.  I may put another layer on though.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1