Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Anyone know the rules about gas pipes behind leccy ovens by any chance?

I have no idea about rules but the pipe for our gas hob passes vertically, closely behind the oven and passes over it to the connection on the hob. All copper, no hoses! The oven housing doesn’t have a back, the back is the wall. It isn’t uncommon for an oven to be below a hob so it can’t be unusual for a pipe,to be near an oven. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Anyone know the rules about gas pipes behind leccy ovens by any chance?

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The oven housing doesn’t have a back, the back is the wall. It isn’t uncommon for an oven to be below a hob so it can’t be unusual for a pipe,to be near an oven. 

I don't know the rules but the rear (well all) of the oven will be heavily insulated so the outermost, rear surface will not get that hot.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The M word progressed as slow as usual but better than expected.

Several bashes with the toot on the flute (Yamaha fife) as well, including a new tune I had put to one side while gaining more confidence with another.  The new one means learning new fingering for a different key than usual  - I would not bother only I love the tune! If I can get past the first 16 bars off by heart, I might be OK!

I first fell in love with the key when doing A level music with William Byrd's Mass for 4 voices as the main piece of study.

Off, now, to make a mugadecaf.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That would be good for Test Match cricket eliminating all that expensive Hawkeye technology!

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Nah, it would put all Baz's mates out of a job.

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Far from it! Sense and sensibility would prevail again!

It is interesting to observe what is actually happening with tennis. Hawkeye is well proven for line calls on hard court surfaces but the consequences to tennis officialdom with the elimination of lines-people is an interesting consideration.

Early experiments with a competing technology (which includes live slow motion video) for clay are proving interesting. It worked well for the WTA green clay tournament in Charleston. On red clay in Madrid it is proving contentious. It made an 'in' call in the men's semifinal where the mark was clearly 'out'. The slow motion video appeared to show compression of the ball on the tape (maybe), but then rolling slightly to make a bigger mark off the tape. Even after the match, the winner (who lost that call) insisted the machine was wrong.

Early in the women's final there was an 'out' call, overruled by the umpire and upheld by the technological line judge that looked out to me. They only showed the automatic line call once and I didn't get a good look at it. I thought it impacted some momentum, but it's hard to argue that it affected the outcome of the match.

It's almost like the synthetic view of Hawkeye is actually more 'satisfying' than the video view of the other solution.

Arguably better than the usual 'better go to Specsavers' lines-people who are, after all, human.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I don't know the rules but the rear (well all) of the oven will be heavily insulated so the outermost, rear surface will not get that hot.

That was Bear's thinking too; the services of a gas Man is to be procured (forty quid) in order to remove the QD Bayonet Fitting on the end of the gas pipe and replace it (ideally) with a soldered stop-end; a compression stop-end would be acceptable also, though this would most likely entail the removal of a small section at the rear of the oven base unit to clear it - dead easy to do, but if i don't have to cut a lump out of my shiny new cabinet then that's all the better in my book.

I need to arrange this soon - but am delaying it for as long as possible as it means that as soon as the QD connector goes then so does the ability to use the existing cooker....

The oven base unit has a removable back panel fitted - it slides out of a slot.  I took a shufty (shuftie?) at the oven installation instructions on the web a couple of days ago and discovered the need for a ventilation slot in the floor of the base unit - if the back panel is slid upwards several inches then this achieves this.  However, there is another requirement which states "No connections in this area" - which is a large area where the back panel is.  So does the presence of the back panel in this area fall foul of this rule?  Bear predicts a call to Miele tomorrow to clarify; I suspect that the back panel may disappear completely.....

32 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Still alive and kicking!

Bear sees an opportunity for PLM T-shirts....we'll split the profits....

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

So Bear, being an environmentally friendly(ish) kinda Bear, decides to appeal against the nasty, 'orrible, vindictive low-life scrote who's grassed him for something he wouldn't dream of doing, to the tune of two hundred and fifty notes.  Bear, being a frugal kinda Bear (why shell out hard-earned LDC vouchers for some jumped-up lawyer who has difficulty even tying his own shoelaces?) decides to defend himself.  And that means that under rules of disclosure I get to see all the evidence against me, which includes the statutory declaration.

I now know who you are....and where you live......

$250 for the start of endless retribution stretching over many, many years is a bargain, believe me.

:devil:

The next step would be court, at which point most of the accusations are withdrawn prior either because they actually were just vindictive or the accuser cant be bothered  to spend the time or money over a dropped piece of litter.

If I did go through with it which I would, it would invariably get chucked out for lack of evidence and you'd get the fine waived.

Of course, as soon as you drove away from court in your little   novelty bear car I'd open the app on my phone and dob you in for having a smokey exhaust cos we can do that too.

Then you've got to get your car checked out at a motor registry to prove you don't have one.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I am going to visit a model railway emporium tomorrow and if there is enough time I will visit a second such emporium. I have made a 'bubble' with my friend and he will be coming with me, that will be the first time I will have anyone in the car with me in fifteen months. Now time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Evening All,

Slightly odd day as two members of the extended family have been admitted to hospital so had the nephews, Sydney  and mil around for the day. Thankfully things seem to have stabilised.

Not much done, went for a walk, an hour of paperwork and watched the F1 GP. Then watched, though not through choice, the special forces recruitment programme. Every other word is f***ing swearing.

Goodnight

Robert 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Seaweed stranglers were wrong.

A  it rained

B it was freezing

But.. we got a game in! Well tempered and either side could have won.

As it happens "hawkeye/VAR" etc all have some fairly fundamental problems which will never be solved unless they start talking to some real engineers....so that will never happen. At least the cricket systems reckon umpires get well over90% of decisions correct.. I know that the systems do produce howlers so drop the systems and let the umpires getonwithit!

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

Tuesday sees me 2 shots + 2 weeks and "fully vaccinated" against the plague (for whatever that is worth).

Today finds me contemplating pandemic statistics. Here in Oregon we have done 'relatively' well - at 34% of the national total of cumulative, per-capita fatalities (176 per 100,000).

Case rate however (locally and nationally) remains as high as it was in the Autumn. Meanwhile the pressure to 'open up' continues. Portland was the very last city in the country to admit fans (at 10% of capacity) to National Basketball Association games and the team responded by winning two home games over the weekend. Through the season their away record was significantly superior to their home record.

Television news stories from India are horrifying. Based on published data*, the cumulative, per-capita fatality rate in India (17.5 per 100,000) is 10% that of the US (176 per 100,000). As it was consistently throughout the pandemic, the UK is higher than the US with a cumulative, per-capita fatality rate of 192 per 100,000.

* One has to wonder about the accuracy of the reported 242,000 cumulative fatalities in India.

Thanks to the big moat and some of the strictest quarantine measures in the world Australia's cumulative, per-capita fatality rate is 3.6 per 100,000, happily a staggeringly small number in comparison.

Of course such comparisons are meaningless if the published data is wrong. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington School of Medicine recently published a study suggesting that the death toll in India is more likely to be 654,000 and in the US, more than 905,000, rather than the officially reported 581,000. The same report suggests a death toll in the UK of 209,661.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

At least the cricket systems reckon umpires get well over 90% of decisions correct.. I know that the systems do produce howlers so drop the systems and let the umpires getonwithit!

The whole question is really all about that 10%. Humans produce howlers too.

Like autonomous vehicles, the autonomy doesn't actually have to be perfect - just demonstrably better than humans.

And evidently in tennis, lines-people are vulnerable to cranky outbursts from prima-donna superstars.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I managed to edit and save all the NOTES I’d filed on the computer, but I only managed to send about half of them. I’ll do the rest tomorrow. However, before I began work on the computer, I played with some new (to me, but now obsolete) of DCC servo accessory cards. I’d already got 2 and had played with them and had them working before. I got 4 (brand new and still in the packet) more on Thursday, so had a bit of a play yesterday, but couldn’t get them to work. So I sat and read through the manual (yes I know) and realised what it was that I WASN’T doing. So I tried again today and they worked perfectly, so I know have 6 of them.

This evening we watched the first episode of “The Pursuit Of Love”. It had received some good reviews in the press, but we thought it was a very disjointed and no, we won’t be watching the remaining 2 episodes. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 8

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Nature: Red in tooth and in claw“ indeed.

The first editor of The New Yorker magazine (Harold Ross) apparently had a major argument with his staff about this. He insisted that nature would be red in claw before it was red in tooth.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Just to note that tomorrow (May 10) is our 47th anniversary. We will probably go to the next city to see some swans. We are still unceratain whether it is safe to have take-out food.

Polly: I couldn't see the first video in your post. It may be restricted zoning.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 4