Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

More unspellable than the premier of Queensland?  Perhaps she should be called "Annie". ;)

I know, and shes premier of a state that spells beer XXXX so what  hope has she got?

Either of them have you wishing you could use names in Scrabble, they'd be worth heaps of points.

For the record -

NSW premier: Gladys Berejiklian

QLD premier:  Annastacia Palaszczuk

• Like 14

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm sure its no where near as bad as the movies and the news makes out but there seems to be way too many guns in the US for me to have got out and had a polite word with a carload of strangers.

Don't believe that what you see on television happens everywhere.

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

In the words of Dr. Watson (not really but you get it) "No SH!T SHERLOCK"!!

I'm fairly outspoken on those sorts of issues and mask wearing etc., but the enormous uptick in gun ownership here and nut-jobs shooting anyone for looking sideways at them has had me rein in ANY attempts to "help folks understand"...

My little corner of the suburban Portland metro area had zero reported shootings in the last three months. "Theft" is the number one report on the police blotter (42% of all reports and distinct from burglary and robbery). I am quite sure the ladies in the car were more anxious about me than I was of them.

Frankly I would have been more concerned about the guy behind me madly gesticulating.

There are certainly neighbourhoods where I would not leave my car, but nipping down to the post office is not one of them. The city of Portland has a serious problem. Using 2019 as a baseline, for the first four months of the year, 2020 shootings were at 130% and 2021 is 287%. It's not clear why, though my instinct is that pandemic fatigue is fueling a lot of it.

There is a lot of national reporting on gun violence which tends to emphasize it. Overall shooting deaths do appear to be on the rise in the last couple of years. I can't find a reliable trend source later than 2017 but 2020 data suggests that it is at the same level (>6 per 100,000) as per capita historic highs in the early 1970s and early 1990s. (Before 2015 it was actually much lower than historic highs.)

According to most sources, gun ownership in the US is not increasing over time - some reputable sources actually suggest it was decreasing. Around 40% of households have at least one gun and this appears pretty consistent. People who do own a firearm, frequently own multiples of them.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I spent an hour online with an Apple support technician, who decided my phone needs to be taken to a service centre. 

I'm not sure why, but obviously they have no idea what has happened. My phone will not access the internet either via wifi or 4G. If I go onto the wiseguy fixit sites via my laptop, they say "in the last resort, restore your phone to factory settings". Yeah right. 

They probably have never really tried that process, which involves sending the Apple ID password over the internet. The internet which the phone is refusing to connect to. 

I have only had this thing about 3 weeks.

:banghead:

iOS 14 will tell you if you have weak security on your wifi but it doesn’t stop it working and if it was working and you haven’t changed anything it seems odd. Even more odd is the  not connecting to the internet via 4G. I can stop my iPad connecting via 4G and wifi but it does require deliberate selection of options in the setting menu.  Hope the service centre can sort it. If you are worried  about the service centre losing your data you can backup to a Mac via a cable. No idea what up you can do with a Windows PC though. 
Tony

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Great to hear that Daves dads endoscopy has not found anything untoward and the nutritionist can get things sorted. After yesterdays trip out I will be planning a few more with my friend and his youngster. The lad has only just become a teenager and he must spend some time sitting in a grow-bag the way he's shooting up. He's also on a see food diet, see food and eat it. 

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear had a bit of a result this evening - Mrs Newish Neighbour called round to ask if I'd like some wood off-cuts left over from a chippie repairing their stairs today (seems the stairs broke!! - I dread to think how much they've spent [we're talking tens of £K's here] on the place since moving in, much of which is on putting things right rather than improvements).  Does a Bear like LDC?

The off-cuts turned out to be things like a pristine sheet of 6 x 3 ish MDF, plus numerous reasonable sized rectangular bits of ply that must be an inch thick - stair treads I suspect.  Plus a nice length of pristine MDF pre-painted skirting that might just find a new home in a kitchen before too long....

All I need now is a bigger shed....

Our local orange shed has a box of offcuts near the exit to which you can help yourself as long as you drop a coin or two into the charity box which I'm quite happy to do so. They also put in the box ex display items and other odds and ends. I found the lining panel from a cabinet unit, some sort of MDF with one side plastic coated, ideal for a backscene.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi never got round to cutting the lawns before the rain but I did them this afternoon while it was sunny. Aditi was having a nap which is very unusual for her but she had very little sleep last night, just reading late and starting reading again very early.  Must be a good book.

We had a walk round to the post box to send a birthday card. I spent some time on the phone and email trying to find out why my access to the digital editions of BRM magazine had ceased even through the direct debit was being taken. I was told it would be sorted and it was. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... Fleet Farm. It's an upper mid-west store typically in out-state locations and is rather a combination of a B&Q, ALDI, and fishing, hunting and boating supply store, all in one! Groceries to guns and everything in between.

Many of the 'box marts' here have dropped firearms from their 'sporting' goods - famously Walmart after the San Antonio tragedy.

We do still have "Coastal" (formerly "Coastal Farm and Ranch") which except for the groceries is much the same as Fleet Farm.

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

We had to traverse the Guns & Ammo section to get various boating and plumbing supplies, and the shelving - this is a TWENTY FOOT LONG section with FOUR levels of shelves about a foot deep for HANDGUN AMMO

Have you ever been to a Bass Pro / Cabela's? I think the local Cabela's probably has close to 20,000 square feet of floor space dedicated to firearms* - an estimate based on the store having an advertised footprint of 100,000 square feet.

* Including the "Gun Library" for 'collectible' weapons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

...snip... Must be a good book. ...snip...
Tony

I have read a few of those; right now SHOGUN by James Clavell. I started that after reading his NOBLE HOUSE and finding out that it is a part of his Asia series, I just had to get the rest. For some reason KING RAT is hard to find; at least at the low/bargain prices of the rest of the series. Note that most of these are quite long and will allow me to have lots of good reading time.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather did change this morning, but it wasn’t until dinner time, when we had a very light shower lasting just a few minutes. The sun remained out then until late afternoon when it went very dark again and we had another shower, but this was heavier than the dinner time one. 

Well despite the changeable weather, I’ve made quite a bit of progress in the cellar today. I’ve fitted plasterboard to the area below and to the side of the window. I’ve also done the adjoining wall next to it, including one side of the chimney breast as well, at this point I’d run out of large offcuts. Where there is bare brick or I’ve applied the tanking solution, I use the dot and dab method, on the sections of wall that still has paint on it, I’ve used 50mm screws, small washers and rawl plugs to secure the plasterboard to the wall. The section wall in the photo below, which has the electrical services, ie, 2 sockets and spur unit - top left, (as will all walls with electrical services), still needs a second skin of plasterboard fitting. This is because the back-boxes are 25mm deep, the plasterboard is only 12.5mm deep and I just didn’t fancy chasing out channels 13mm deep, for the back-boxes and the cable. So, for the sake of making the room slightly smaller, I’ve gone down the double skinning route. The first skin is made using offcuts etc, I’ve done this for 2 reasons;

1 - it this uses up waste material that would most likely have been thrown away anyway. 

2 - any gaps, exposed screw heads etc, will be covered up with the second skin, so they don’t really matter. 

FAD7D31C-0496-4C5F-B4B4-5A334DBD130D.jpeg.63d8812cf1189bbf0dedf4274d41cb27.jpeg

The important thing is to make sure the first skin is really secure, as the final skin will be fixed to the first skin using the dot and dab method, which makes things a lot easier. So, by the end of today’s activities, the area below the window and left side of the chimney breast are now ready to be plastered. The black cable seen hanging from the ceiling is the SWA feeding the workshop and shed. 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Don't believe that what you see on television happens everywhere.

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Due to TV - 

We here are "Live in the US?  No way! way too scary!"

z1.jpg.85c7d328bae7144785500bcb5c7a5978.jpg

While the US is "Live in Australia? No way! way too scary!"

z2.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3