The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

What’s with the duck video?

Just an example of one of my "better quality" conversions - it just happened to be of a duck by a lake in a North London park circa 1960.    I think the quality of it is quite remarkably considering that little bit of Standard 8 cine film has been stuck in a loft cycling between very hot and very cold with no attention paid to its well-being for more than 40 years and then it has been captured using a cheap webcam and an old projector lens.    If you look carefully you will notice that actually the image is quite soft round the edges and one of the many projects on the to-do list is try and improve the optical quality of the telecine machine.  

I can't tell you how pleased I was when I came across the clips of Deltics etc at New Barnet and then how mortified I was when I realised that particular bit of film, the only bit in the 15 or so reels that I have, exhibited this problem.    Just to add insulate to injury, I've got half an hour of beautifully exposed, close-ups of a snail sliding up a branch.   I hate snails ......

10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I couldn't pin it down and wasn't using it yesterday so took it for an inspection this morning which found a broken offside front spring. Luckily it had only failed at low speed a short distance from home.

I had my Ford serviced and MoT'd earlier in the week - yet another suspension spring broken and had to be replaced.  That's all four springs on a 15 year old car have been replaced at least twice and a couple may have been replaced three times now.   I'm beginning to think they are making them out of some sort of soft cheese instead of a more appropriate material although I suspect the appalling state of the road surface makes a significant contribution to the lack of longevity .    Usually the spring failures have been fairly benign and undramatic although on one occasion a couple of years ago when a front spring failed it rotated and the sharp, broken end sliced through the  sidewall of the brand new (<100 miles) front tyre.  I have to tell you Puppers became rather grumpy at that point particularly as the RAC didn't want to deal with it as it was "within a 1/4 mile of my house" (but not at or outside my house and completely immovable blocking the public highway) Grrrhhhhh!

9 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Hope Dave's Dad gets his mojo back and the 'Swiss' doctor sounds like the future source for antibody donation.

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Continuing warm thoughts to Dave’s Dad and all on the sick list.  Best wishes to all.

Yes indeed, best wishes to all who are ailing in some way.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The  jab 2.0, is for me, worse than the first, though I'm not as bad as many, just my temperature, and a sight headache.

Hmm, beginning not to look forward to Jab 2.0 now which is due in a couple of weeks.  

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Why do those little diddy cuts on the ends of your paws sting so bl00dy much??

I've often wondered .......

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is that wise poly? Declaring ones intentions so far in advance, members of the SCS (Special Cake Service) could carry out a pre-emptive strike.

Won't be the South Derbyshire battalion though........

PB be careful of the one way system there it is absolutely diabolical.

Will meet out front with the camouflage. Don't be late as I've got to get back by 3 pm

Away the non binary sexes - doesn't really have the ring to it somehow

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The day has started dull and we’ve just had a bit of a light shower, thankfully it’s stopped now. The rest if the day is a bit of a mixture, with rain and sun swapping over throughout. I hope it isn’t raining when I go for my 2nd vaccination this afternoon. 

I’m spending the day at the dinning room table starting to write the names on the place setting cards for Mike  and Sarah, who will be getting married on bank holiday Saturday. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is that wise poly? Declaring ones intentions so far in advance, members of the SCS (Special Cake Service) could carry out a pre-emptive strike.

Won't be the South Derbyshire battalion though........

My dear fellow, don’t you recall “The Man Who Never Was”? Our task force leader is certainly a wily cove who keeps his cards close to his chest.

As I type, highly trained minions from Captain Cynical’s <1* kuchenkampfkommando> are already storming CO-OP House, or not, as the case may be. I’m not saying any more...

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:

Captain Cynical is pleased to announce a talented and exciting addition to his leadership team: The Alpine Angel of Death (aka Mrs iD) and her two trusty canine companions: Throat-ripper (aka Lucy) and The Emasculator (aka Schotty) At a word from The Alpine Angel of DeathThroat-ripper will launch herself at a hapless enemy, rip out their throat - leaving them drowning in their own blood... Whilst The Emasculator, when unleashed, becomes a groin-high black and white missile of pain, leaving the target really wishing for an armoured Cricket box (and like the ancient warriors who kept the dried ears of their vanquished foes on a ring on their belts, so The Emasculator keeps a ring of dried.... well, you get the drift)

So please extend a warm minion welcome to our new companion in villainy

CC

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The Alpine Angel of Death (aka Mrs iD) and her two trusty canine companions: Throat-ripper (aka Lucy) and The Emasculator (aka Schotty)

Welcome aboard!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:

Captain Cynical is pleased to announce a talented and exciting addition to his leadership team: The Alpine Angel of Death (aka Mrs iD) and her two trusty canine companions: Throat-ripper (aka Lucy) and The Emasculator (aka Schotty) At a word from The Alpine Angel of DeathThroat-ripper will launch herself at a hapless enemy, rip out their throat - leaving them drowning in their own blood... Whilst The Emasculator, when unleashed, becomes a groin-high black and white missile of pain, leaving the target really wishing for an armoured Cricket box (and like the ancient warriors who kept the dried ears of their vanquished foes on a ring on their belts, so The Emasculator keeps a ring of dried.... well, you get the drift)

CC

Perhaps you've forgotten that you may have revealed the method of neutralising Throat-ripper and Emasculator? All one needs is a pocket full of sausage and cheese. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

As inclement weather is oncoming it eas decreed by The Management that excercise would be partaken a.m. Due to the forecast I suggested an e-bike blast to Holme Moss Summit. Not too bad on the way out but the return was rather chilly as I could see a storm approaching. 2.5 miles down to Woodhead Reservior in 7 minutes was like being blast frozen. We only caught the rain for a few minutes around Torside and completed the 10 miles back in 35 minutes.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Talking of nonsense it's time to look at the cracked Hitachi thread although there is some very good stuff there.

It seemed to have calmed down a bit when I looked last night.  I gave up on it somewhat after a dismissive comment about one of my posts. I don't know the person's background but as far as the post was concerned I have the T-shirt and skid marked underpants to prove my point.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...All one needs is a pocket full of sausage and cheese. 

Nope, these are highly trained henchdogs (like henchmen, but canine) - trained to neutralise the enemy first and scoff-up cheese and sausage second. Once they realised that the quickest way to to sausage and cheese was by going through the enemy, there was no stopping them...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dry and sunny in North Somerset, but thunderstorms are likely later - I gather. 

I managed to cut the front grass once it had dried yesterday, and I am hoping to do the back this afternoon before any rain arrives. 

It looks like the worst of the weather is going to the south of us, so I might get away with it. 

On the subject of Attendance Allowance for those in a care home; I have no idea about the precise rules, we just filled in the forms sent them off and they paid whatever they thought Dad was entitled to. 

If he gets it, I don't see why others shouldn't. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

South Derbyshire is yet again grey and damp, with a 66% chance of rain for the next 3hrs, which is not good as experience has told me the moment I hang out the laundry the 66% will become 100%

......and so it did :)

Here's hoping, in about 3 hrs, that the 22 doesn't become 100 as well.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. First up, best wishes to everyone who could do with some positive vibes.

Also, I’m happy to report that the paperwork for The Replacement was completed during a trip to the Toyota dealer this morning and will most likely be ready for pickup by Friday. :yes:

And now I need a snack, so, ta…

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Air support will be dependent on movement clearance from the authorities (SWMBO) and can only happen once the shopping has been done.

Dave

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

PB be careful of the one way system there it is absolutely diabolical.

Will meet out front with the camouflage. Don't be late as I've got to get back by 3 pm

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I am bidden to take the management shopping.

Well talk about a cunning ploy by the Co-op Board to hold the AGM on a Saturday.....really screws up any chance of a dastardly attack cos' all the Troops have been dragged off shopping by the SWMBO's.  No wonder Gulf Wars 1 & 2 both started on a Thursday, otherwise all the fly-boys would be telling the C/O "I can't, cos' the missus wants to go shopping for a new 3-piece......"

No idea if WB turned up or not - there was certainly no sign of him...

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Raining here. Sometimes it eases to drizzle. It looks brighter over Basildon now. 
I have no idea whether or not MiL gets any attendance allowances.  But it was nice to be able to tell her the carer wasn’t spying on her by logging going to the loo at night, just doing her job.  MiL isn’t accustomed to being told what to do and her current carer is rather “direct”. It may be accent or something as she is Russian. MiL is funding her care from her own income and she resents paying money that she thinks should go to her grandchildren. However she reluctantly agrees that it is better than being in a care home, as she is very determined to stay at home. 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Various bits of shelving made, more tomorrow. Just watching paint dry takes the time.

Crane pulled forward by 2ft, then the first lift showed it was too far forward, and so I pushed it back by 6 inches.

Boat lifted  by keel bolts, several times as I adjusted which three to use and where to site the hook..

Boat is now sitting on keel but propped so it don't fall over, hook left in place just in case.

The balance point of the boat with keel  is about 6 inches forward of the mid point. But that's without the rudder assembly installed. When installed in the boat my backside will be just behind that point.

I've decided,  I'll make a lifting plate for permanent use, a very short and wide triangle. The top of course will be the hook position, below that will be three shackles to attach to the keel bolt eyes.

Boat now set up  to be glued to keel tomorrow.

Ben walked, it is of course raining.. We got wet but not too much, as Ben cut the walk short, due to military aircraft noise and some shooting like noise..

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT:

CC

But apart from the implied threat why go to that extent?  As some of us know every adult Swiss male sleeps with a. state supplied rifle and ammunition under his bed so the dogs can carry on with their doggy pursuits. ;)

• Like 12

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Well talk about a cunning ploy by the Co-op Board to hold the AGM on a Saturday.....really screws up any chance of a dastardly attack cos' all the Troops have been dragged off shopping by the SWMBO's.  No wonder Gulf Wars 1 & 2 both started on a Thursday, otherwise all the fly-boys would be telling the C/O "I can't, cos' the missus wants to go shopping for a new 3-piece......"

No idea if WB turned up or not - there was certainly no sign of him...

You see PB I told you I was good at this camouflage lark.

Sorry about forgetting to confirm the indentification signals - copy of the financial times anyone?

I must say using the cover story that you were all anti-lock down protestors was very convincing. We Mancutopians are an upperity lot so that was a real brain wave. Mind you I'd work on the northern accent a bit more if I was you as you came across a bit Brummie when you started shouting your demands for more LDC through the load hailer.

Anyway got to rush as me mate keeping the back gate at Kew unlocked.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

Good Afternoon all 

The bridge in leeds looks like its going to be an expensive job.

Firstly the trailer will be over £100000 then there will be crane hire a 1000 tonner cost £1000+ and that was 18years ago that beast that is in the background will be considerably more. At one time there went many of that size in the country we had one pulled off a Bison job in Slough to go to i think it was the Southall rail crash. Baldwin's the crane operators had shipped most of their heavy lift cranes to the States. 

The trailer will be air suspension or road friendly suspension as it is technically called. It looks like the air system has burst.

Finally anybody working with cranes for loading lorries will be instructed Never stand under a suspended load and always plan an escape route.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, petethemole said:

Remember to wear a hi-vis vest over the camo, so they can find you.

Imagine

It is a pitch black night on the North German Plain. Three Challenger tanks are in an attack v formation moving forward..over the radio an excited cry of "TARGET TANK FIN"  one of the tanks has spotted a target using their Thermal Observation and Gunnery Sight.... then.. a flashing amber  convoy light pierces the night.. "RUDE WORDS" are heard over the radio..  

Of course this was avoided in the Gulf War.. they threw the convoy lights away!

Baz

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11