RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW I always thought that half and half was a half of bitter with a whisky chaser

Indeed it can be, particularly in Scotland.

I used "half and half" for what many in Britain might call a "black and tan" (which can sometimes specifically be a stout floated over Bass ale). Due to associations with the RIC, that term doesn't go over well in the Republic of Ireland or at least with Irish expatriates running Irish pubs in "the colonies".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once had a bottle of Drambuie break inside a packed suitcase when going away on a detachment. 

:cry:

I saw a duty-free bottle of Drambuie being dropped and breaking on a cross-Channel ferry. A crowd quickly formed round the spill - if we couldn’t drink it, we could at least smell it!

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW I always thought that half and half was a half of bitter with a whisky chaser (as I did in the Ardvasar arms on the Isle of Sky many years ago - it had a fabulous top shelf of malt whiskies so I started at one end ,,,,, )

Subtle difference, but I always knew it as “half and a half” - a half pint and a half gill (though by then it would’ve been a quarter gill or even a fifth).  And it was a half pint of heavy or export - bitter had not reached Scotland when I was drinking those.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, chrisf said:

At times I despair of members of the public and rest my head in my hands at the tosh which they utter.  According to the lunchtime news, some folk in my part of the world are worried that the much-discussed East-West rail link will carry freight as well as passengers!  What in heaven’s name could possibly be wrong with that? 

Chris

I remember reading (long time ago) some learned person arguing that since railways were initially built to carry goods they should not carry passengers.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The only time I have ever had Drambuie was either neat or in Scotch to make the taste more palatable to me 

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Isn't Drambuie and scotch called a snakebite?

I once had a bottle of Drambuie break inside a packed suitcase when going away on a detachment. The first two days were mainly spent doing laundry.

G'night everybody.

Dave

I've always been of the understanding that a Snakebite is half lager half cider.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

There’s a Stanley Cup (ice) hockey game in progress in Las Vegas at the moment. The temperature outside the rink is 41C!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

My editor carries the last entry in which I quoted someone in this thread.

We shopped today. Drove to hardware store which carries the flavour of coffee I like (my treat following the first plain cup) and an indoor-outdoor thermometer. I've had two go on the fritz this year. I picked the one with the biggest numbers.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple Hare,

Nearly 8 hours sleep in three pieces I really needed that especially as it's all I'll get for the next 36hours.

Ben the alarm clock Collie was an hour late, or or actually correct for a weekend.

The seaweed inspectors say we had an inch of rain over night, everything is dripping out there. The rain has however cleared now.

A part loaf of bread has spent the night defrosting in a cool bag, keeping the breakfasts for the race crew cold., They are issued free to 3 rivers race officials who don't wish to return to the club house for their breaky. This will be the first bread I've had in 5 months, a one off occasion, I'll be making non issued breakfast and sarnies shortly. 

A kettle is on, and a muggacoffee will also be made.

Time to get a move on, I'll hopefully post a picture of two of the day later..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Mornin'

Nowhere near enough kip :(

However time to get up an at 'em. A few o' the smaller jobs on mi list could be completed before beer outing early this afternoon. But first a job that ain't on mi list - breakfast! Rather fancying a bowl of strawberries and honey yoghurt topped off with fruit and fibre cereal accompanied by a bucket of tea.

Might be a little while before I look in again later. In the meantime, here's hoping Saturday is good to all, stay safe, well and sane.

ps South Derbyshire is bright and sunny but cool (at the moment) but the forecast is for 22°C and sun at beer o'clock :)

Edited by leopardml2341
Adds weather report.
  • Like 19

That BIG BRIGHT thing is back and sending lots of warmfulness here abouts this morning, a good sign for the day ahead one hopes.

I have a busy weekend of nothingness planned so will be doing some of that with my eyes shut, probably after coffee, and lunch, before watching the F1 Quali highlights at 17.30.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was in full voice early (4 am) this morning but getting up and moving about soon quietened him down so I went back to sleep for a couple more hours.

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

It appears that I am on YouTube.  The presentation that I gave a couple of weeks ago was recorded and has been shared with the rest of humanity.  I have not dared watch it yet but I sincerely hope that the technical hitches at the beginning have been edited out.  Those who can face listening to my commentary will surely discover how it was that I never made a career in broadcasting.  They will also share my surprise that I have been invited to repeat the presentation – to a different audience, naturally.

Chris

Any possibility of a link? 

Time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

41 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I have a busy weekend of nothingness planned so will be doing some of that with my eyes shut, probably after coffee, and lunch, before watching the F1 Quali highlights at 17.30.

37 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just been informed that ........

Just when you thought it was safe to make your own plans........ :mosking:

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

We did , however have a bean counter problem. As in investments could only be made if a guaranteed 10% profit could be guaranteed.

As evidenced during the building of the Channel Tunnel!

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Rushing again due to the need to ride trains on rails,  two and three.  ;)  Anyone awake enough to sus that?

iD's comments leave NHN wondering where he features in the list of three.....but in terms of trying to bring about change and efficiency in his own little bit of the NHS, he tried, not always successfully. 

Robert/Eric - we are listening, my friend.  This is a supportive place.

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1