RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Dry and sunny again in North Somerset. 

Just a bit of watering to do, but most tubs were done yesterday. 

My friendly Ocado shopping app tells me I can buy a 600g tub of Birds custard powder for £2.10, which seems reasonable to me. Although I don't use that much, and the last one I bought 6 months ago is still half full. 

Acquired a whole bunch of 1970s railway prints, which I intend to photograph and store the digital images on my ext hard disk for 'reference purposes'. (Yes, I really am that nerdy). However, these ones have been printed on very glossy paper and I am still scratching my head how to do this without getting a reflection of my fingers holding up a mobile phone in each photo as well.  

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

we even designed the Centurion tank (which seems to have sold well to Switzerland and other countries).

And an air defence system that Switzerland seemed to get on with.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a beautiful sunny day here in England's northwest. Up late again this morning, so straight outside to the garden to water the plants. I'm now sat in the cellar about to start working on fitting the last 2 sheets of plasterboard, but first I'll need to move the few offcuts from the last few sheets that are currently leaning against the wall. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

But after the mugacoffee's been finished.

Really should not have said that. The finishing of said mugacoffee found idle hands straying to the South American river website and with a book that came this week in hand various fine brushes are winging their way to me - I blame a certain Iain Rice.

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

@iL Dottore unlike Switzerland (which seemingly can't give any of the war loot in its vaults back to anyone, the UK Post War was absolutely skint ( we didn't finish paying our  bestest buddies the USA off from our war "loans" until December 2006).

Bear wonders how long it'll be before the C-19 loans will be paid off?

We did have machining centers etc as time went on (the Milan anti tank missile had a single machining center which churned out thousands of missile bits a week when I was at St Eveneage in the Late 1970s.....

And how many machinists work there now?  Two....

The big problem we had was an inability to keep quality of parts and products  on the increase (mainly due to the bean counters)...

Not helped by the fact that some bright spark did away with roving inspectors some years back - the guys doing the work are now their own inspectors....:banghead:

12 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

One of the side effects of the medication I take for my swallowing issue....

Bear understands all too well just how significant this must be for you - Momma Bear had C. of the Oesoph. so I got to see first hand the effects, albeit (I suspect) a much more severe example.  I'll leave it at that....

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Puppers felt extremely weak and tired on Thursday, almost to pre-Pacemaker installation standards which it has to be said unsettled him somewhat.   On reflection, I think it was the response to the 2nd AZ jab, indeed MRs Puppers was feeling tired too although thankfully not to the same degree. 

Bear has just had No.2.....

Tess & Co. done - I'm pleased to say it was very quiet; six packs of Sultana Bran acquired, plus four packs of Sultanas - that should keep Bear going for a while (can you see what I did there?).  A few other bits, including a Tesco "Finest" LDC obtained - Bear would like to reassure readers that the purchase of this was purely as a scientific experiment only, and is in no way intended to satisfy Bear's craving for such items.  Just wanted to clear that up.  Initial findings report a distinct lack of gooeyness on top when compared to similar offerings from the Co-op :sad_mini2:; however the mention of "Lemon Buttercream" and "Curd" may well even up the score.  Expect a further report later.....

Bear saw buddy next door as I arrived back on the drive - buddy enquired if I'd like some more items to go to the charity warehouse later in the week.  Yes please.  Bear noted a nice example of a certain electronic device intended for the cleaning of jewellery whilst immersed in liquid.  I suspect this may not make it to the warehouse....:wink_mini:

Din din time approaches - chippie or the offerings of the Great Freezer Gods?  Decisions, decisions....

• Like 19

@iL Dottore unlike Switzerland (which seemingly can't give any of the war loot in its vaults back to anyone, the UK Post War was absolutely skint ( we didn't finish paying our  bestest buddies the USA off from our war "loans" until December 2006). Lots of people were available (and were, compared to new machines cheap) So Britain had to "make do".. despite that we did manage to design and build some advanced engineering projects (a number of very good aircraft, the first nuclear power station (Calder Hall) , we even designed the Centurion tank (which seems to have sold well to Switzerland and other countries).

Ignoring the (incorrect) comment about Switzerland, it seems that you have missed the point of the latter part of my post. It was Britain’s participation in both world wars that have led to many of the problems that are unique to the UK at present. By entering alongside France to fight Germany and Austria in WWI, not only did Britain lose an entire generation of men (a generation that could have brought so much to the UK in the teens and twenties of the last century) but fighting WWI also started Britain’s decline on the world stage.

According to some modern historians, Britain had no need (or reason) to fight alongside the French. Had the UK stayed out, the conflict would have ended differently. With a German victory over France likely (in 1917 much of the French Army mutinied) there would have been NO “stab in the back” myth (and no Treaty of Versailles or the socioeconomic factors of the Weimar Republic) to fuel the rise of the Nazi party. And with a Western Front victory, Germany would have had no need to send Lenin back to Russia to cripple the Eastern Front and give Germany more soldiers to fight the West. By Britain staying out of the fight, Nazism would never have arisen and Communism would have remained a “nutcase” fringe political ideology.

You refer to Britain’s post WWII penury - you do realise that this was the result of a deliberate US policy (as well as poor decisions of post-war British politicians)? During the war it was only after the UK had - quite literally - spent the last farthing, that the US grudgingly flogged Britain some knackered old warships at exorbitant prices and “lend-lease’ was definitely set up to enrich the US and beggar the UK. (another point for consideration, is the contention that had Hitler not declared war on the US, the US would have only been willing to fight the war in the Pacific against the Japanese). And post-war? Britain got 26% of the Marshall Plan money and used much of that money to prop up Sterling instead of letting the pound find its own level, using the  Marshall Plan money to invest in the UK (one of the driving forces behind the Marshall plan, was to have an expendable barrier between the US and the Soviet Union. A barrier that would be generally well disposed towards the US. And in regards to US motives, let us not forget that in an unguarded moment Kissinger said “America doesn’t have friends, it has interests...”).

You also refer to many innovations coming out of the UK. The UK has always produced superb scientists, engineers and other talented individuals, but sadly too much British innovation has ended up elsewhere to be profitably developed. The reasons are many, David Kynaston’s books about post WWII Britain are not only interesting histories, but also explore the reasons behind the loss of innovations to abroad and Britain’s other post WWII misfortunes (did you know that rationing ended in Germany in 1950, but continued until 1954 in the UK?). Kynaston’s history books are definitely both thought provoking and good reads. 

I am very proud of my British heritage and although I don’t view the UK’s past (or present) through rose-tinted glasses and I can be very critical of many things in the UK; I am utterly appalled by how many in certain social enclaves and “bubbles” in today’s Britain are so eager to trash, denigrate, ridicule and belittle everything “British”. (you don’t see the Italians beating themselves up because as recently as 1700 years ago, the Romans owned slaves!!!...)

Being self-critical and self-reflective are one thing, committing the equivalent of cultural and social suicide is something else...

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

It has generally been the case that British intervention in Continental wars has had the effect of prolonging them, with all that meant in lives lost and economic and cultural damage. Whether the outcomes had Britain not intervened been desirable is another question. For a long time, the actual outcomes were in Britain's favour - I did read that Britain was at its wealthiest per capita at the close of the Seven Years' War, which saw Britain replace France as the major colonial power in India and North America.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good AfterNoon, for it seems to be thus!

Shopping shopped; leg muscles aching from too much walking; contemplating setting the strimmer on the back garden.

For comment:

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear wonders how long it'll be before the C-19 loans will be paid off?

It could be a while! Switzerland has closed its borders to UK citizens and the inhabitants of other non-Shengen participants!

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

According to some modern historians, Britain had no need (or reason) to fight alongside the French.

At least not since Henry 5!

21 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You also refer to many innovations coming out of the UK. The UK has always produced superb scientists, engineers and other talented individuals, but sadly too much British innovation has ended up elsewhere to be profitably developed. The reasons are many, David Kynaston’s books about post WWII Britain are not only interesting histories, but also explore the reasons behind the loss of innovations to abroad and Britain’s other post WWII misfortunes (did you know that rationing ended in Germany in 1950, but continued until 1954 in the UK?). Kynaston’s history books are definitely both thought provoking and good reads.

May I cite the Harrier Jump Jet, the hovercraft, railways, the 'sports' of Rugby and cricket as a mere few examples?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

May I cite the Harrier Jump Jet, the hovercraft, railways, the 'sports' of Rugby and cricket as a mere few examples?

You may, although there have been so many it's almost churlish to single out so few!   

It's interesting to see different people's differing perspectives, none right, none wrong in this respect.      I wouldn't have thought of any sport related achievements but then, those that know me already know that have an almost total lack of interest in sport.   I attribute this to a complete failure of my parents and teachers to motivate me in that direction during my formative years and no, I'm not criticising my parents at all with that statement although the same cannot be said about my teachers.

However, I could provide a very, very long list of engineering, medical and scientific examples that I consider would support the original assertion.

Just don't get me started on the current trend to try and change or erase history and the achievements of notable individuals from the past just because some of the methods and conditions of the time that enabled those achievements and philanthropic gestures might offend some of today's miss-guided, "perpetually offended" band-wagon riders!

• Like 4
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

It's sunny, all over the place, so I hope The Q is having a good day  on the water keeping an eye of the competitiive  goings on.  Today was going well until I was called to collect herself + shopping from Waitrose.  Now i begrudge her not one bit that requirement for me to provide a taxi service and get the shopping home especially as it includes one part of tonight's dinner.  However it required me to navigate a town thronged with grockles of varying levels of stupidity (both walking and, unfortunately, driving motor vehicles) to alevel sufficient to merit the title of 'effin' clown town'. (with due apologes to the previous ownership of that term)..  Quite why people like to sit eating and drtnking outside a caff right next to one of the principal vehicle arteries through the twn (with no alternative route sensibly available) is utterly beyond me.

Anyway we got home, had a cuppa and a sarnie and then headed for Root One to purchase some garden requisites - which they didn't have so we carried on to the garden centre in Wantage which herself quickly rejected for visitation as there was a queue waiting to get in (I ought to compliment its management on their excellent social distancing control - especially as he's my cousin ;) ).  Nice drive home via a road which is great to drive on - when there is nobody in front of you.  Alas I had to follow a laggard in some sort of Vauxhall.

But it was a trip out, it did the battery chargea  world of good, and the passing country looked very pleasant so I'm not moaning.

Sankebite - cider & lager and reputedly exceedingly vicious stuff.   I'm somewhat worried about something I find, even on the 'net', that is called 'Bass ale' which appears to come in a bottle or tin.  Bass IPA came in a bottle, Bass on draught was, as a draught beer, what many would call ale - looks like language has taken yet another step backwards (or maybe it's just the beer?) .  Quite how anybody can brew a Burton beer properly anywhere except Burton (with the exception of a place to the east of Newport, now defunct) amazes me because the secret of most proper beers is in the water.

BTW for those who are interested in such things a fascinating fact thing about the Great War was that its result brought the British Empire to its greatest ever physical extent while it probably gave the landed aristocracy more of a boost than the loss of its sons might suggest.  Another often overlooked fact is that a very large percentage of British loans to other nations during that war have never been repaid.

Have a good day everybody and stay safe

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Where  I work, we are used to uttering the phrase "what you see is only the tip of the iceberg!"

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

However, I could provide a very, very long list of engineering, medical and scientific examples that I consider would support the original assertion.

Just don't get me started on the current trend to try and change or erase history and the achievements of notable individuals from the past just because some of the methods and conditions of the time that enabled those achievements and philanthropic gestures might offend some of today's miss-guided, "perpetually offended" band-wagon riders!

I am in total agreement!

Oops! Just had a thought: Advanced Passenger Train! A project involving Aviation Engineers to design a high speed train. BREL (rightly) took offence at this project and developed the HST125 Class 43 units.Ultimately, as is well recorded, the APT project was shelved. However, the concept was taken up and developed in Italy and resulted in, among others, the Pendolino trains!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Advanced Passenger Train!

An OU course I took more than 30 years ago used the APT as an example of an ill-managed project, and when Swindon got fed up and produced their own HST125 instead.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Morning (just, here!)

British innovations, don't forget Concorde, at least one of MY favorites...

Have a short spell to myself as Jemma and the Mrs are off looking at rental housing, Jemma and Brendan return imminent, well by mid-August probably.

The rental market is as crazy as the housing market here at present, everything disappears very quickly, so Jemma is checking/planning on identifying anything that's suitable, even to the point of renting it for a month or so without full-time occupancy if something suitable shows up!

Had a BBQ last evening, thought I was going to MELT out there given it was about 35 air temp., and the 400 degree BBQ added "a little extra" when in close proximity :O

Later today/tonight some roving happy hour in the neighborhood then dessert here with the kids and dogs. I've some outside "opportunities" to deal with whilst the ladies are gone, so not much hobby time again looks like. :(

23 first thing, bright relentless sun, going to break records for hottest early June today, may reach 38 around mid-late afternoon :jester::O

Thank <insert deity or other appropriate entity> for air conditioning!!!

Carry on, I'm off to melt away outside fixing sh!t :O :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

An OU course I took more than 30 years ago used the APT as an example of an ill-managed project, and when Swindon got fed up and produced their own HST125 instead.

Was it Swindon or BREL at Derby?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

And about time too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57368247

:yahoo:

A California judge has overturned the state's ban on assault weapons, describing the popular AR-15 rifle as "good for both home and battle".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57368211

:banghead:

There are nutcases, and there are seriously unhinged, deranged nutcases:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57358492

:scared:

In other news:

Bear is pleased (very pleased in fact - it's a heavy bvgger) to report that the tall decorative end panel is now cut & planed to fit.

The top of one other tall panel will need cutting at some point - but that needs careful thought before doing so.

There are three wall unit end panels still to do - but Bear is expecting these to be easier than those already done (and a lot lighter too).

As for din dins, the chippie won....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

41 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Afternoon all, been away at my daughters on Grandad duties, three days and come back broken, sore knees and back from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much exertion, I can no longer play football or walk miles it would seem. 

Not long back home from three weeks of grandparenting, including one week with no parents present. We stood up remarkably well to it, especially as it was performed at about 2000 feet AMSL and home is at about 50 feet.

Edited by pH
Autocorrect!
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4