The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It is interesting as pupcam has already stated to learn about what people believe might have been. Just like if someone turned left rather than right at some crucial point in history. There are quite a few authors who have proposed alternative histories. In deed I once remember reading about what would have happened if America had lost its war of independence and Britain had as a result become a commonwealth. Possibly no world wars?

Many thanks to Chris F re the custard powder scarcity. I suspect that Bird's - not the feathered variety before you ask, may have something to do with it as there product seems to now dominate. It is unfortunately too sweet for my tastes. I will continue my search.

So on that note I bid you good night and hope that tomorrow brings a change in fortune for my fellow ER's.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, apart from watering the plants this morning and late this afternoon, once again I’ve spent the day the rest of the day in the cellar, but things are now progressing at a quickening rate. The last 2 sheets of plasterboard that I had left have been cut and fitted, apart from the 2 thin strips which I didn’t have time to fit. These are for the narrow strip of wall on the other side of the inner door. They have been cut ready and test fitted, but will be fitted permanently tomorrow. I also think that there are enough decent sized offcuts to do the front of the chimney breast. So I’ll check these and measure them up tomorrow and if there is enough they will be cut and fitted too. I’ll then take some photos of the current state of the cellar when I’ve fitted these and post them tomorrow evening. At this point, all I have left to do is one complete wall, which will need just 3 sheets to complete.

After tea this evening, we settled down on the sofa, opened a bottle of Malbec and watched a couple of films. The first was ‘My Week With Marilyn’ which was very good cast and well acted. We then watched ‘Manchester By The Sea’ again another good cast and also well acted. We both thoroughly enjoyed them and would recommend them.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It wasn't to fight alongside the French that Britain entered the Great War. It was to defend Belgium which Britain had agreed to by treaty. In fact if one French soldier had set foot on Belgian territory he would have found himself facing British soldiers. It wasn't until later in the war that French soldiers were on any Belgian territory and then only under special circumstances. If Britain had stayed out of the war it probably have developed as you described but other factors would make it a very different society. The development of our democracy for one thing. One result of the war was female emancipation. Would this have happened in 1919? probably not (though it was bound to come but may have taken longer). There was also technical developments such as aircraft that were forced forward by war. War is also one way of keeping the human race in check. If all those young men hadn't died and carried on to produce offspring what would the world population be now? 

Various formations of the French 5th army was in Belgium by mid August 1914and were first engaged by German forces on 21 August in the vicinity of Charleroi.  Various French units were also deployed to the west of the BEF to reinforce Belgan forces and were involved in various in battles in Belgium, including First Ypres in 1914 and into the winter

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It wasn't to fight alongside the French that Britain entered the Great War. It was to defend Belgium which Britain had agreed to by treaty...

Thanks for jogging my memory, Phil. I had overlooked that (although, presumably, professional historians who know this period of history inside out would have not overlooked “Plucky Belgium“ [as the tabloids put it back then] when forming the contention that Britain could’ve stayed out of the First World War).  However, now that you have reminded me about the violation of Belgium’s neutrality as being a major reason for Britain entering into the First World War, for the life of me I can’t remember why Britain signed such a treaty with Belgium in the first place. I vaguely recall it being one of the consequences of defeating Napoleon.

10 hours ago, polybear said:

...Also, if Germany had  won WW1 they may well have gone on to think "Well, we did alright last time so let's have a crack at another country and see what else we can get...."

An interesting thought, although with the continent effectively being under control of Berlin (and I think that a German dominated continent would have eventually morphed into an EU like structure)  Imperial Germany would have probably looked to Africa (expanding its “interests“ beyond Namibia) and also to the Far East – competing with Britain to create a large empire.

14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

....BTW for those who are interested in such things a fascinating fact thing about the Great War was that its result brought the British Empire to its greatest ever physical extent while it probably gave the landed aristocracy more of a boost than the loss of its sons might suggest.  Another often overlooked fact is that a very large percentage of British loans to other nations during that war have never been repaid. [my emphasis]

Have a good day everybody and stay safe

Now here’s a thought: given that post pandemic the UK could do with a cash injection, what about calling in some of the IOUs? After all, the Americans didn’t cut Britain any slack post WWII after UK had spent so much men, resources and treasure keeping the Nazi Regime at bay while the Americans tooled up for an industrial war... I wouldn’t be surprised that, after totalling up the owed monies and adding compound interest on top, calling in these IOUs could be quite advantageous  for the UK.

9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

....Sadly, few decision makers had the necessary knowledge of modern warfare to advise this was a very bad (and very expensive) idea. .....Given time, another option may have been found. But the events of 1914's summer didn't give many people time to think at length....

Wouldn’t this be the political equivalent of that criticism made against the generals preparing for WWII, that they were preparing for a future war by re-fighting the previous one?

With the benefit of hindsight, it was clear that the red flags warning against the devastation of industrialised warfare were there (the American Civil War, the Boer War, the introduction of the Gatling Gun et cetera). Very, very few politicians are both prescient and erudite enough to foresee the likely outcome of action (or, for that matter, inaction), Churchill and his early 30s warnings about the rise of the Nazi state being one of the few that were.

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With the exception of the Soviet Union during WW2 it is remarkable how little the terrible cost of both world wars did to restrain global population growth......What is quite dramatic is the sustained increased growth rate after 1950. It makes me wonder just how much difference medicine, particularly the introduction of antibiotics, made to population growth....

9 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Or is it the number that survived due to the medical advances but the habit of producing children did not!

Whilst I agree that modern medicine has done much to improve people’s lives, I would argue that better hygiene, sanitation and nutrition has been behind the post 50’s population growth. Over the centuries high infant mortality has meant that having a lot of children was the only guarantee of having any survive to young adulthood, removing the need for large families (i.e. removing infant mortality by better hygiene, sanitation and nutrition) without removing the societal impulse for large families, is a recipe for unbridled population growth (interestingly, rabbits breed like, well, rabbits because of the high mortality from predation - at least in a balanced ecosystem).

This sort of change in environment without a change in underlying behaviour can often have quite interesting consequences. Quite a while ago (60s, 70s?) Glasgow was known as the “Heart Attack Capital of Europe” which was attributed to diet. Yet the Glaswegian diet hadn’t changed since the heyday of shipbuilding. What had changed was the environment: no unheated tenements, no hard physical labour, no walking everywhere etc., etc (and, yes, I know I’m simplifying).  Small things have large consequences (certainly they do if you believe in Chaos Theory).

Anyway, I’m off to bring the London Underground to a crashing halt by having a second cup of coffee (Chaos Theory again!)

Enjoy Sunday

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 12

Damp ish but not real rain, and no wind, (the weather here abouts, not me) so it looks like the Car may get more exercise than me this morning.

Great time in the Garden with our Visiting family yesterday, and other than that a quiet day was had.

Chocolate cake had been purchased in readiness for the said visitors, but much was left over, now this is NOT going to help me diet, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made to help the Good Lady dispose of it.:D

Have a good day one and all and stay safe and well.:dancer:

• Like 18

It was good to see Chris,  @chrisf on here this morning after the reports of the attempted murder in Bedford yesterday. https://news.sky.com/story/bedford-man-repeatedly-stabbed-while-sitting-in-his-car-12325851

Not seen Pete, @trisonic or Andy @andyram, or Ian @Oldddudders or Bob @grandadbob and  a few others, on here again of late, I hope they are all well.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now here’s a thought: given that post pandemic the UK could do with a cash injection, what about calling in some of the IOUs? After all, the Americans didn’t cut Britain any slack post WWII ...

What could the UK do to compel repayment? I’m reading a very interesting book: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Britain-Alone-Path-Suez-Brexit/dp/0571341772

which makes it clear that the US could pressure the UK in several ways, few (if any) of which would appear to be available now to the UK.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Any possibility of a link? 

I am flattered that you think me clever enough to make one.  The best I can do is offer some directions:

In YouTube, select 'search' and enter 'EM Gauge Society'.  There you should find several videos.  Select 'Lecture 4 - first generation dmus' and prepare to be captivated for the next 50 minutes.

Chris

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

Turned out nice again!

Well no, but at least it was dry, and I've convinced my self that the walk for the paper did my back some good, well it does feel a little less fragile.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Good Morning, although whilst the latter is, undoubtedly true, there is some much over the former!

Introducing the strimmer to the back garden is planned at some stage today although having seen @Andrew P's post, I fear my opportunity is diminishing.

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Thanks for jogging my memory, Phil. I had overlooked that (although, presumably, professional historians who know this period of history inside out would have not overlooked “Plucky Belgium“ [as the tabloids put it back then] when forming the contention that Britain could’ve stayed out of the First World War).  However, now that you have reminded me about the violation of Belgium’s neutrality as being a major reason for Britain entering into the First World War, for the life of me I can’t remember why Britain signed such a treaty with Belgium in the first place.

I recall a GRJ  trip to Brugge with a local tour guide. He told us that the second (preferred) language of Belgium is English! This, apparently, stems from the centuries old wool trade between Belgium and England!

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I am flattered that you think me clever enough to make one.  The best I can do is offer some directions:

In YouTube, select 'search' and enter 'EM Gauge Society'.  There you should find several videos.  Select 'Lecture 4 - first generation dmus' and prepare to be captivated for the next 50 minutes.

Chris

How's about this:

Happy Sunday!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Chris

Thanks for the link, Chris.  Despite my leanings towards steam since days too long ago to remember, as a proud owner of the 117, 121, 122, 128, and GWR railcars, and former commuter on some (the grown up version not the model!), I found this additionally informative and highly enjoyable - and excellent material for accompanying this morning's breakfast.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear started preparations for painting, but in a moment of madness decided that trimming the top off the last remaining tall end panel would be a Good Idea.  And it was - just in time too, as spots of rain started landing on proceedings just as I was packing away.  Job done :yahoo:

Now for painting....

• Like 16