The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

fell asleep early, woke 01;30 pain in hip..

Lying on my glasses, amazingly they survived. 

Not slept since, but trying for more.

• Friendly/supportive 18

Good morning all,

Up very, very early as I had chest pain again (but now I know what it isn’t I just sort of grin and bear it).

I found Mike’s post very informative, this is the sort of thing that makes ER such a pleasure to dip into; apart from the usual stirring tales of expeditions to tess-coe land or adventures in plug replacement, there is also a lot of informed erudition and plenty of (frequently) black humour (are you allowed to say “black humour” anymore in the UK?).

One thing is very clear from Mike’s post is that the history that gets taught in schools (at least as I remember it) and generally understood by the public is a very sanitised and simplified version of the past. Returning to World War I for a moment, I recently read that the idea that the BEF were “Lions led by donkeys“ is something that didn’t surface until after the war. During the war, the general mood seemed to have been that the war was something that Britain had to do and you just got on with it....

Returning to ER and the various posts by various members, I note that there tends to be a tendency towards a “hang ‘em and flog ‘em“ approach to dealing with miscreants. Given the average age of ER posters (as at least as referred to in numerous posts), I suspect this robust approach to maintaining societal discipline reflects many years of experience in the real world as opposed to the various ER members being just one step away from donning the brown shirt.

And whilst on the topic of the real world, I am wondering how much of the fact that so many in local and national government in the UK have never really had a proper job in the real world has impacted on the country (c’mon, do you think an Oxbridge degree in PPE followed by one or two years working as a SPAD is a proper job in the real world?). Perhaps there is something to be said for the idea that no one would be permitted to run for, or hold, a public office without having spent at least 10 years as a salaried employee in a position that was not a safe sinecure.

Well, enough Monday morning dribbling from my part. I am off to walk the dogs (very early) and then I will take the car in for a service.

Have a great start to the week.

iD

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

This video is interesting, it shows the boats sailing down from  the start at Horning 4 miles before, and the then choices of route, the first choice is whether to go to port up the river Ant, the out going tide is at maximum, this year, and there is a large body of water Barton broad, feeding the outgoing tide.

You can see the boats slow as they turn up there, a calculated risk, lots of short tacking against the tide. On the fly back you see the second choice, a turn to starboard down to South Walsham broad, a much much smaller body of water and hardly any tide. 

Another couple of miles straight on is the third choice , up river to Hickling broad or  to sail down river to reach the bottom mark by tide change. Choosing which or both or neither of the short legs to risk before heading to the Bottom mark makes or breaks your race position.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

If its a Video8 device and working Puppers has a need for such a device to transfer old family V8 tapes to something more useful before it's too late!

It's a mini DV, sadly; however Puppers has a p.m....

In other news:

Oh, c'mon....."essentials"?? 

Firms are struggling to secure summer essentials like garden furniture, picnic baskets and outdoor toys, as consumers prepare to holiday in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57379810

Bear had better dash - painting to do (the final coat on decorative  end panel edges) before Bear undertakes a difficult and dangerous mission.  More later.....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Warning of shortage before there is. Aka a sales technique, and if there isn't a shortage you've sold your stock anyway..

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Wall to wall blue sky this morning so fortunately the pollen count seems to be reducing but I won't know until later this morning. Time to get breakfast sorted, be back later.

• Like 13

Hi Yuuu all.

Misty grey old start here earlier, but now looks a little brighter.

I didn't go for the walk, but may do later.

M & S Shopping due soon. We switched to them a few weeks back due to short dated stuff from Sainsburys, and the deals are just as good, the quality is better and as its delivered by Ocado  what they haven't got Ocado has. 

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Unlike yesterday, it’s sunny outside! Not a great deal on the cards for today other than tidying up in the cellar. I’ve a couple of strips of corner edging to fit to the chimney breast, these are cut and are ready to fit, there’s also jointing tape to apply. After that I shall mainly be cleaning up, the floor needs sweeping and then it’ll be several goes over with the mop. It’s needed a good clean for a couple of weeks, but I didn’t see the point until I’d finished putting up the plasterboard, as it was the cutting process that created most of the dust. 

Before all that though, I’ll head outside and water the camomile and pot plants. 

Dave. Good news about your dad, I hope his improvement continues. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

It’s very kind of you to wish us this each day, but you do realize you’re talking to ERs, don’t you?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just a quick check in here, house seeking not going according to plan, as some of the agents are not playing ball on our possible dates and times.  Will hopefully sort things out tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Oh, c'mon....."essentials"?? 

Firms are struggling to secure summer essentials like garden furniture, picnic baskets and outdoor toys, as consumers prepare to holiday in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57379810

Puppers seems to have a very different and somewhat jaundiced (old-fashioned probably) view of what is and what isn't "essential" in this day and age.   It certainly doesn't match the view of modern media.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Warning of shortage before there is. Aka a sales technique, and if there isn't a shortage you've sold your stock anyway..

Yes, and all that free advertising  too.  Well done to the BBC (again) .......  :banghead:

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

Warm and sunny here in North Somerset. 

Necessary watering has been done. I have tree branches to prune (according to SWMBO) but don't have the inclination to do it just now. 

I agree with Andrew P, M&S food is really good if you can afford it. In fact I compared some of their products with the Waitrose version and they tasted nicer to me, even though they are a similar price. 

And why would anyone buy Kellogg's Bran Flakes at £2.50 for 750g, when the M&S version are 90p for 500g and taste just as good to me? Similarly, Sultana Bran Flakes - Kellogg's 500g for £2.99, M&S 500g for £1.40. 

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Warm and sunny here in North Somerset. 

Necessary watering has been done. I have tree branches to prune (according to SWMBO) but don't have the inclination to do it just now. 

Not the right time of year for pruning due to the rising sap, could kill the tree, at least I've been using the dodge for decades and seem to get away with it lol.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

42 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not the right time of year for pruning due to the rising sap, could kill the tree, at least I've been using the dodge for decades and seem to get away with it lol.

Unfortunately, 'pruning' is not quite what SWMBO wants. My bad choice of words, apologies.  

Taking down the entire tree by stealth is her demand. If I could kill it she would be delighted, but I would still have to chop the dead branches and chainsaw the trunk. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

(Early) Afternoon Folks,

Just having a breather from the gardening. It a bit hot out there but as we’ve not be summons by anyone else we’d better make the most of the day. SWMBO is the head gardener so I just follow instructions. Been moving top soil and compost.

Anyway back to it.

Robert

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14