The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Is it not that when the surrounding soap does wear down you can place it on the washbasin so that it remains dry and doesn't degrade into a sticky mess 

Bear uses one of these gadgets - seems to work rather well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353354179837?hash=item52458ce4fd:g:55MAAOSw-1NfdCuW

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Does the Bear know imperial leather soap comes in 5 bars for the price of 4... In pound shops. So to me they are a cheap bar.. and yes they still come with their silly individual plastic wrappers and labels.

Bear can't recall if he was aware or not....can't remember the last time I was in a Pound Shop.....

56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

This afternoon I will be making a cake for the inevitable shenanigans Mrs iD has been concocting “unbeknownst to me” :huh:

iD

And buon compleanno to iD from this Bear too.  Did I hear mention of Cake?

In other news:

Bear plans to fit the decorative end panels (two tall, two short) to the kitchen base units, then start work on the end panels (there's three to do) for the wall units; these should be easier to do as they are much smaller and lighter - and since the tops and bottoms of the wall units are straight then no scribing is necessary on these edges.  So it'll "just" be a case of carefully cutting to length and planing one long edge where it contacts the wall.

Bear still has four tomato plants that require re-potting too.....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear uses one of these gadgets - seems to work rather well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353354179837?hash=item52458ce4fd:g:55MAAOSw-1NfdCuW

Bear can't recall if he was aware or not....can't remember the last time I was in a Pound Shop.....

What? It's one of the best sources for minor items used not for their real purpose, for an unmentionable Hobby. When it all goes wrong ibuprophen is cheaper there than anywhere else.. oh their disposable breakoff craft knives are cheap too.

you'll be saying you don't go in "The Works" either..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12

Good moaning all from the boring borough. 

All quiet on the East Wickham front. 

A fast congratulations to Flavio for managing to complete another solar orbit. 

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday young Flavio and many more of them.  Retirement is an interesting word and I remain unsure what it actually means because it appears in many respects to be no more than swapping one sort of work for another sort of work depending very much on what swmbo requires to eb done around the house/garden or economics decide what might be done to add to one's pension.  I retired for the first time at the grand old age of 52 and started drawing my railway pension immediately in order to avoid sending the family down the mines.  However as I was offered some consultancy work more or less immediately I wnen on to what is now called a zero hours contract with another employer and after some intewresting jobs, including some time in Australia, I retired from there (basically because I ran out of work) at the grand old age of 57 but in that case I had to wait until I was 65 to receive their pension (just over £13 a week).  But having left them I then began doing odd bits & pieces to help out a mate and he covered my expenses although I 'retired' from that at the age of 70 when he sold the business (no pension from that one).  But I still do various bits & pieces although it is largely  unpaid 'hobby stuff' such as research for manufacturers (various) in respect of certain things GWR.  Oh and of course I still have to respnd to swmbo's requirements although it is now a lot harder building  garden walls and laying concrete than it used to be as arthurs -itis isn't too keen on such activity.

Fences - round her all the contractors erect garden fences so the good side faves uor garden except for those adjacent to the road where the good side faces towards the road.    i'm having a lot of these :bo_mini::bo_mini::bo_mini: thoughts from reading how Andy P plans to spend his day - definitely better weather than the last time I passed that way (on a ship)

980084038_P1010749copy.jpg.56a3ebc6c3969c5bbe9220e88de4c381.jpg

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

As for retirement the boss was discussing the lack of prospective candidates with the recruitment agency now employed by the company. Seemingly the pool of  possible people is the lowest it's been for 30 years.

I think this is Because:

Many companies stopped training in order to save money..

The military which provided thousands of properly trained electronics personnel, is a shadow of it's former size.

Many companies de-skilled jobs, which mean there is no progression path to train up people gradually.

I gather it's much the same in lexicography, except that there never was a supply of suitably-trained ex-military personnel.

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Off out later.

The Good Lady is visiting a friend in Gosport, so I have my Beach chair and binoculars in the Car and will head to either Alverstoke or Lee on Solent and park up on the water front for a couple of hours watching the Ships ply Southampton water whilst they oil their gums.

I'm also putting my small Art bag in the Car in case I get inspired to do some sketching. although there is little of interest to look at close up as its just a Beach.

Tally ho, and slice the main brace and all that, see you later chaps, and chapesses.

I've seen some very interesting things on beaches. I've even been able to trainspot from a couple.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

What? It's one of the best sources for minor items used not for their real purpose, for an unmentionable Hobby. When it all goes wrong ibuprophen is cheaper there than anywhere else.. oh their disposable breakoff craft knives are cheap too.

you'll be saying you don't go in "The Works" either..

Bear's lack of attendance in a Poundland store is purely down to steering clear of town centres due to C-19.  "The Works" is a similar example, though I've found them to be less interesting in the last couple of years as a lack of any decent r*ailway books (or indeed ANY such books on that subject) seems to have been noticed.  I can only dream of the full range of publications by Wild Swan being available at clearance prices.....

As for Ibruprofen, Bear has a PPC so it comes for free :D - though I'm pleased to say my need for such sweeties is only occasional (famous last words....).

In other news:

Bear is a Bozo :yes:.  I realised this morning that if the end of a tall end panel is to be painted (two MDF sealer coats - with 2 hours between coats, followed by 2 coats of Dulux White Satin - with 16 hours between coats) then the smart thing would be to paint the bottom end of the panel - and not the top end as Bear has done :banghead::banghead:.  Out with the paint brush......

The other tall panel is fitted, as are the two short panels.  Work has started on the wall unit end panels - one is marked & ready to cut (it fits on the end of a single wall unit); thought is being given to the other two in order to decide if it's a good idea to do them now or wait until the row of cabinets to which they fit is on the wall & aligned for the final time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's lack of attendance in a Poundland store is purely down to steering clear of town centres due to C-19.  "The Works" is a similar example, though I've found them to be less interesting in the last couple of years as a lack of any decent r*ailway books (or indeed ANY such books on that subject) seems to have been noticed.  I can only dream of the full range of publications by Wild Swan being available at clearance prices.....

Books? they do books?:D, paint brushes, acrylic paint, artists tools, crafting clay,  all sorts of goodies for the unmentionable..

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Birthday greetings Flavio

Was the Poundland in the Big City a Woolys Neil? ( I know it is called something else just cant recall what at the mo)

Mornin awl

I really can't remember for sure but it might have been Woolies, it's now called 'Dealz' but is Poundland in disguise.  I shall ask the Oracle when she returns from work!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1