RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a Windows update last night and on my toolbar has appeared a weather report,

That happened to me too. Having just restored the laptop from 'sleep mode' is what it currently says:

image.png.f28647b6cd47761dea2b2826e86fc5d1.png

My patio thermometer says it is about 76°F / 24°C but it is anything but sunny - there's a heavy overcast. Originally rain was forecast Friday through Monday. Last night (after only seeing rain on Friday morning) the Saturday forecast was changed to 'dry' with rain returning overnight. It was a (mostly) nice day.

Posting this I notice it is updated to:

image.png.dc3391991e79fd96b4be0571f0815af1.png

And lo and behold, there is a little drizzle happening.

I'm not too keen on this mysterious memory and cycle stealer suddenly appearing without warning, but I haven't turned it off yet.

EDIT

Relative to RMweb privacy settings, on Windows, I am not required to acknowledge them with each session, but there is this settings menu floating at the bottom of the browser (Chrome) window:

image.png.02f52b1aeec899098ea36fadf21df046.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It's here, chum; it's here, chum,

The second jab for you! *

We had ours this afternoon.

We have caller id on the phone. If there's no name and we don't like the number we let it go to the answering machine. Ours pops in after 2 rings. Persons who leave no message get no call back.

The American medicare system strikes me as much like car insurance  -- the govt requires you to buy it but from private industry.

* variation on WW2 song Second Front.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

The American medicare system strikes me as much like car insurance  -- the govt requires you to buy it but from private industry.

Not here in BC, it doesn’t!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance_Corporation_of_British_Columbia

Edit: I forgot - nor in Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Quebec.

Edited by pH
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

Greetings one and all

One of my little foibles is to study the Honours List for familiar names.  This stems from my time working in Westminster in the mid 1980s.  One of my tasks was to identify candidates for appointment to a non-departmental public body from the ranks of what might be loosely described as the great and the good.  It can be all too easy to overlook a knighthood or other gong and some recipients are understandably a bit precious about it.  One year my scrutiny picked up my opposite number in the Welsh Office.  When I spoke to him on the phone he seemed quite touched that anyone had noticed.  Over the years I have found quite a few names that I either knew personally or with whom I had had dealings.  The latest list has a few interesting names.  I spotted the CBE awarded to Rick Wakeman and the MBE to Engelbert Humperdinck.  Only the latter was for services to music!

Robert Erichill, I am happy to share my unfamiliar route to Interlaken.  I would have taken it last year but the trip fell victim to quarantine requirements.  With the mantra “if at first you don’t succeed …” in mind, here goes:  Rail Liverpool St to Harwich International, ferry overnight to Hoek van Holland, metro to Rotterdam Alexander, rail to Utrecht Centraal, rail to Frankfurt and five hours in an ICE to Interlaken West.  The main group, aka the herd, will leave St Pancras International at the crack of noon, spend the night at Aachen and reach Interlaken via Koln, the Rhine Valley and Basel.  I regard the journey to and from Switzerland as part of the holiday and like to ring the changes when I can.  

A few days earlier than I had expected, the new Bellowhead CD arrived yesterday.  The CDs that repose in the legendary hessian bag will be miffed that they must wait still longer to be put into the CD player.  Tough!  I need the excitement!  On a barely related subject, I can’t help wondering who will be serenading the G7 leadership with sea shanties on the beach in Cornwall.  Would Fisherman’s Friends be a bit obvious?  

Best wishes to all, especially all the sick and missing.

Chris

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ek its ot already, off for the paper and then back to tune into GB News for the start of its first broadcast at 7-30.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

MBE OBE, in the military known as My Bxxxxy Efforts and Others Bxxxxy Efforts.

Ie the MBE was given to those earnt it themselves.

The OBE was awarded to those ordering others to do do the work, but got the gong themselves.

Dad was on the honours list once, he holds an obscure medal issued to a limited number of civil servants . So not only do you need to earn it, someone else has to die to leave a space for it to be issued again.

GB news will at least give an alternative news channel to watch, hopefully it will try to be different.

Sky news and BBC news often show the same things, RT is the anti America Channel,  while being different Al-Jazeera is often subtitled which means unless you can give it 100% attention you can't follow it if you have to look away.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

On a barely related subject, I can’t help wondering who will be serenading the G7 leadership with sea shanties on the beach in Cornwall.  Would Fisherman’s Friends be a bit obvious?  

Chris - The Bryher's Boys 'welcomed visitors' at Falmouth

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/singers-g7-summit-cornwall-sea-shanties/

Du Hag Owr was the group who sang on the beach

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9675913/Sea-shanty-group-serenade-world-leaders-beach-G7-summit.html

More CDs for the collection . . . ? ?

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@polybear i can't understand the Surveyor mentioning the height of the Windows  but I can understand the comments on the foundations of there was to be structural movement due to the foundations the Surveyor would be judged to be negligent. It's all.An bottom covering exercise really. The buyer will most likely have specified a homebuyers report which is more in depth than a normal mortgage valuation but not quite as in depth as a structural survey 

The Surveyor made no mention of the foundations; Bear was merely pointing out that the Surveyor was moaning about the windows because they didn't meet current regs. - many, many other things won't meet current regs either - such as the foundations for example.

Pulling a property up for not meeting current regs is just nuts**, as I very much doubt any of us live in houses that meet current regs to the full letter of the law, unless they were built last week.  And even then if they were examined in detail then I'd bet a LDC that a non-compliance (probably several) could be found without trying too hard.

(** With the exception of certain High Rise Buildings, for example, that may feature a certain type of cladding.....)

In other news:

Bear has an appointment with a paint brush today; also a sanding block and quite possibly a small strip of lining paper.  Michael Fish is predicting 27C for Bears today - so I've cancelled running the Marathon.  Just when I was soooo looking forward to it too :laugh:.  Poly's don't do hot - unless it's overseas, but there's little danger of that for the foreseeable.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

More CDs for the collection . . . ? ?

Never say never!  What I heard of Du Hag Owr was encouraging.   Well done to those concerned for avoiding the bleeding obvious.  I'm not decrying Fisherman's Friends, far from it as I have a ticket for a concert that they will give in July next year, but they are not exactly lesser-spotted.

Chris

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Pulling a property up for not meeting current regs is just nuts**, as I very much doubt any of us live in houses that meet current regs to the full letter of the law, unless they were built last week.  And even then if they were examined in detail then I'd bet a LDC that a non-compliance (probably several) could be found without trying too hard.

Absolutely!   Unless we live in some amazing high tech property that continually morphs so that it remains compliant  with the current, evolving (and probably contradictory) regulations that can never happen.

An example; my son has just moved into a newish property (2010) and the downstairs toilet which doesn't have a window doesn't have an extractor fan or ventilator ..... Next door's has (well, that's a reg that's been in place for years) but it looks like the builder just forgot or couldn't be arxxd! Looks like he'll have to get someone to install a suitable ventilator (as Puppers really isn't up to such antics these days).

I fancy Mr Bear could soon be over-run with LDC!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a pleasant morning. Quite warm already. We have eaten our breakfast and we will set off round the M25 to Enfield later. There was going to be an intercontinental Zoom call in the afternoon but the Delhi resident family members have pulled out as they will be at a funeral. There could be a lot of traffic heading to the seaside resorts today but hopefully both this morning and tonight we will be going in the opposite direction. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning-ish.

A warm but dull start to the day enlivened my driving the washing machine.  House-husband stuff.

Not sure what we're meant to be up to, no doubt orders will be issued.

Travel back in my merch days was organised by the company, the general idea being that you arrived at the port as the ship did, or left the ship and went straight to the airport.  This didn't always happen, as you might imagine!  I had a week in Gibraltar once, waiting for a seat in a flight home, and 5 days in Hong Kong similarly.  Also a few days steaming hot in Dubai awaiting arrival offshore of a poorly tanker.  Didn't like that much. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. According to the weather thingy its now 22OC outside. I might venture out later but will have to beat a hasty retreat if hay fever rears its ugly head. Now muggatee time, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a bit of a dull start to the day here in England's northwest. Up late again this morning, so straight outside to do the garden to water the plants.

I'm now sat in the cellar about to attack a pile of receipts that need shredding. Today will only spend the morning down here as we are going to James' new house for tea. He moved to Preston in March, so this will be our first visit there and we are both looking forward to it. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Incidentally the 'Privacy' symbol mentioned by Ozex also appears bottom right on my safari screen when I'm on RMweb.  As for 'compliance' it reminds me of the servicing twits from British gGs who kept on saving the air flow into the living room (where the back boiler was situated) didn't comply with current regulations  - trouble was the flippin' regulations had changed twice since we put in the air grill.  I reckon they were just after work.

Have a good day folks and stay safe.

I had the same when my gas supply was renewed after a leak. The vent that was perfectly OK for the gas fire/back boiler suddenly became unsuitable. They were most upset when I asked a builder friend to instal the vent they said I needed at a fraction of the price they quoted. 

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. No problems with the fridge freezer now as its chilling everything nicely. Not so the TV, it keeps going into scan when it is switched on, I will have to locate the instruction book buried somewhere in a pile of magazines.  Apparently there is a serious shortage of salad vegetables, lettuce in particular as there is no one to pick the crop. Most of the pickers came from Eastern Europe and due to Brexit they no longer want to come to the UK. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently there is a serious shortage of salad vegetables, lettuce in particular as there is no one to pick the crop. Most of the pickers came from Eastern Europe and due to Brexit they no longer want to come to the UK. 

There are plenty of people in the UK who are capable, if only they could be @rsed. I did say that Brexit would mean more people who think they are owed a living for doin' nowt might find Brexit a shock, now just to find a suitable 'incentive'.......

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5

15 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Robert you do seem to get to visit some interesting places Penistone and Thurgoland.  

Thurgoland interesting I’m not sure about that! But one snippet of information, John Stones, current England football international, who’s playing as I type, was brought up in Thurgoland and went to penistone grammar school.

Its also where mil lives. 
Bye, Match resumed,

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Add information
  • Like 14