RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was in Vancouver during the 2011 post-Stanley cup riot and couldn't believe what was happening. We'd been out for a meal with my cousin and were just about to return to her place in North Vancouver when we became aware of lots of police activity and a crowd of very noisy people in the vicinity so putting two and two together we beat a hasty retreat. Fortunately our car was parked outside the danger zone so we didn't get involved but it was a bit scary. 

10 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I can't understand why people go stupid after winning or losing a sports final. 

7 hours ago, pH said:

When the Canucks made it into the final in 1994, the hype and foaming in the local media was just ridiculous. A writer in the ‘Georgia Straight’, the local ‘alternative’ paper, commenting on this, wrote that it was so heated that they had better win or there was going to be a riot.

It often doesn't matter if they win or lose. Some cities have a worse reputation that others; like the ironically named Philadelphia - it's chaos even when they win.

I was in San Francisco when the 49ers won Superbowl XXIV in 1990. I was hosting my parents and siblings on their first visit to the US and was completely oblivious of the consequences that we happened to be in San Francisco while their team was in the Superbowl. (The game was in New Orleans.) We were staying in the Marina district and it was a zoo when the game ended. I don't recall it being deadly.

• Like 12

Good morning all,

Up early again but surprisingly not for the usual unpleasant reasons. This time, I got up simply because I woke up. I went to bed relatively early last night (well, early for me) and woke up after six hours sleep. So not bad.

It has been a fairly gruelling week so far and we’re only up to Wednesday. I had thought that with Mrs iD and the Wolfpack being away in the Holiday Hovel I would be enjoying the luxury of “dolce far niente”, sadly this was not to be as work has been quite demanding. Not that I am complaining too much as every penny earned helps getting me closer to my goal of travelling to Japan and having an incredibly luxurious foodie and train-travelling holiday there. This website gives a good overview of the trains, some of which I plan to travel upon: https://www.japan.travel/experiences-in-japan/en/2913/. Interestingly, even though some of these trains are incredibly expensive (even by Captain Cynical’s standards) they are so popular that for some trains you have to put yourself down on a waiting list for when a reservation becomes available. And for some of the trains the waiting list is, I believe, in the region of one or two years! 

Japan has quite a lot of different (and diverse) tourist trains, ranging from the incredibly luxurious to the incredibly twee and cutesy. Many of which help keep small, independent and local railway lines afloat. Now, a question to both The Stationmaster and Gwiwer: can you think of any reason (or reasons) why Britain has not developed the tourist train like Japan has? After all both countries have a spectacular scenery, both countries have an extensive railway network and both countries have very interesting places to visit.

I can think of a number of potential reasons why the tourist train has not been as developed in Britain as in Japan, but I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on this.

I have been reading the various comments about sporting events and the mayhem that surrounds them and I cannot help thinking about parallels with Ancient Rome. From what I have read, fans of various chariot racing teams of the time would have a go at each other with swords, knives and the like. (I think even dedicated and brave coppers like Jamie92208 would happily step back and let them get on with it). Regarding modern day sport, for me, Panem et Circenses very much comes to mind, not only the sport but also the political and social factors surrounding the concept of Panem et Circenses. The parallels with Ancient Rome are certainly there.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, these ancient sports stars could make oodles of money, with the Charioteer Diocles retiring at age 42 after winning the equivalent of US $15 Billion! The highest paid sportsman in history - so clearly we are underpaying our primadonna football players!:O (do you think it might be a bit too churlish of me to also point out that in exchange for [potentially] huge wealth, the sports personalities in Ancient Rome also had a very short shelf life - with death - more often than not - bringing “early retirement” to their careers? Many [most?] were also slaves). Equally intriguing is what I have read about the original Olympics: inasmuch as the losing athletes were strangled upon defeat (something that many football supporters today might wish upon some of the players of the teams they support???)

And on that somewhat gruesome but nonetheless sporting note, I wish you all a Happy Hump Day.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2