The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Fist and mog first thing this morning but has now been burnt off. Arthur Itis was having a go this morning suitable anti-inflammatories have been deployed. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Indeed. But it is clear that when it uses MUST or MUST NOT, it is stating the law. Quibbling over this point won't get you off if you're caught parking on the pavement in London!

I'm not disagreeing with that, but charging someone with an offence under Rule 443 or whatever of the Highway Code isn't going to get you far in Court, but Section XX of the Road Traffic Act 1985 (IoM version - don't know the UK act date) will.  Yes it refers to the law, but the Act is the law.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Morning awl (whether it is Good or not remains subject to verification!)

No major plans for today other than to just bumble along Saturday fashion.

However:

8 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Something that puzzles me,  it's an offence to drive on the footway but not to park on it. How do you get on without driving? Thus committing an offence

Ergo, every driver who parks on their own drive is equally guilty, usually needing to cross the pavement so to do!

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I can understand why. Sometime ago, being vaguely interested in the topic of public transport, I read an interesting article that indicated installing a tramline would positively affect the economic well-being of the area the tram line serves, whereas running a bus line to the same area did not. The reason  being that a bus line can be moved, altered or even taken away without notice and without any sort of cost, whereas once installed a tramline is pretty much there to stay.

Having said that, not all towns and cities are suitable for tramlines and sometimes the decision to go for a tramline is based on the council’s vanity and desire for a “prestige project“ rather than need and/or practicalities.

Hardly a landscape by Constable, Eh?
But I suppose after about a year of almost complete house arrest any sort of alternative view would be most welcome. Although from your post, I get the impression that watching the t****s go by was the prime mover for the restaurant’s selection.

I am currently playing a post-zombie apocalypse first person shooter game on my PlayStation. And in this game the hero spends as much time killing other humans (anarchists, nut-job cultists, brigands et cetera) as he does fighting the zombie hordes. Which is a very pessimistic but undoubtably realistic view of where humanity would end up after such an apocalypse.

Given this inherent tribalism within human nature, reviving the numerous kingdoms that existed in the British Isles before the Romans arrived would be more than possible. It would work if the devolvement to various small kingdoms followed the model successfully employed by the Romans. In other words once tribute had been made to Rome (or as would now be the case in the UK: London, or perhaps London, Cardiff or Edinburgh depending on the kingdom’s location), each little kingdom would be fairly free to do pretty much what it wanted (set it’s own laws and taxes, etc). If nothing else, the (future?) existence of little kingdoms within the British Isles - each with its own band of warriors and traditions - would make sporting fixtures - such as a Lancashire-Yorkshire game of whatever - very, very interesting to say the least.

The other thing to consider would be, for each kingdom, how the monarch (King or Queen) would be enthroned? There have been many different ways to the throne throughout history: matrilineal succession, patrilineal succession, by popular vote, through the auspices of the military or the priesthood….

And then there is who would be enthroned. A King Baz of Yorkshire, perhaps?

During my teenage/young adult years I had many interesting discussions with my late Father and Uncle about many things (history, politics, philosophy, art…) and I remember one observation made by my uncle - relevant to the discussion above - that a large number of small nation states (kingdoms) is preferable to a few very large nation states because (the inevitable) conflict between small nation states would result in few casualties and less destruction than conflict between large nation states!

For the rest of today I have a verein engagement (although I’m feeling completely asocial at the moment) but tomorrow will be blissfully free of any sort of engagement….

Enjoy the weekend!

iD

Sounds like a model based on the Cantonal Switzerland!

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm glad to report that after nearly twelve weeks and a lot of lost sleep dealing with sometimes unco-operative officialdom, Dad is now back in his own home. Fortunately I had a couple of very friendly, helpful and efficient officials as allies along the way, one of whom told me that the way Dad and I were treated at the stage of his transfer from hospital to a nursing home has caused 'a volcano' in the medical/care sector hereabouts and that I will more than likely be asked to get involved. For the present, though, Jill and I are just glad that Dad is back and are busy getting him settled in. I spent a lot of time yesterday with Dad making sure that he can get around his house safely and Jill is spending a couple of nights there as a precautionary measure whilst I am taking care of provisioning and cooking. Luckily his living less than a mile from our house makes it relatively easy in that respect but since we are planning on being away next weekend we need to make sure that everything is sorted out beforehand. I've also arranged a house cleaner and gardener for him and a very good friend will be keeping an eye on him and helping him whilst we are away.

Other news chez nous is fairly unimportant and can wait for now.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Dave

Great report Dave, you can now almost have a break, (sorry to use that word) with less worry and stress.

Chill out Man.:D

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I wasn’t awake earlier to notice the fog and mist Phil mentioned. It is quite pleasant now. We are off to Enfield later to see MiL but it will be at Aditi’s sister’s house. I can’t remember when we last went to her sister’s house.

Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm not disagreeing with that, but charging someone with an offence under Rule 443 or whatever of the Highway Code isn't going to get you far in Court, but Section XX of the Road Traffic Act 1985 (IoM version - don't know the UK act date) will.  Yes it refers to the law, but the Act is the law.

Splitting hairs surely? The Highway Code states the law; if you infringe a MUST/MUST NOT statement in the Highway Code you are committing an offence. If I say to you: "according to the Highway Code, you must not park on the pavement in London", I am de facto stating the legal position; you are rendering yourself liable to prosecution under the relevant legislation.

Anyway, there's a bit of a grey - or rather, muddy brown - area round here, though not outside our house. Further up the road there is an area of nominally grass verge, about 2 ft wide, between the curb and the tarmac footpath. Since these areas are routinely parked on they're mostly not particularly green! This is a sore point with some people locally, especially the folk with immaculate lawns (not block paved over) who maintain that bit of verge in front of their property to the same standard. What do you think, in terms of the Highway Code?

The real hazard over the last couple of months, both to motorists and pedestrians, has been the gang brood of Canada Geese (and what they leave behind).

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Can I just clear up the Highway Code business. The Code is created by statute and approved by parliament. It does not however create any offences that can be charged.  Those come under the various Road Traffic and Road Traffic Regulation acts plus thecHighways Act and others, including rather surprisingly the Offences against the Person Act of 1861.

However the Highway Code is very useful in proving an offence of Reckless, Dangerous or Careless driving or one of driving without due consideration for other road users. These all used to be sections 1 to 3 of The Road Traffic Act 1988.  The way to use the HC was to interview the driver and ask them if they were aware of the relevant provisions of the Highway Code for the circumstances. If they answered yes, which they usually did, then they had convicted themselves.  Simples. The HC was thus a code of good practice.  

It's over 25 years since I last wrote law notes to start PNLD and some of the names may have changed. 

Cheers.

Jamie

More like revision notes then?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a beautiful sunny day here in England's northwest. Up late this morning, so straight outside to do some work in the garden. So far I've done some dead heading, weeding and I've planted the plants we bought yesterday along with a few others that are now big enough to plant.

I'm currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having a well earned muggertea. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. The TV is no longer going into scan mode so it looks as if the problem was at the cable end. Time to nip down to Tess Coes for some bread and milk, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all (from the newly independent republic of Yorksher). I confess I identify more as a Yorkshireman than an Englishman, though, joking aside, I don't take it that seriously. One 'problem' with trying to do so may be my mixed racial heritage. Because they were all white, it isn't immediately obvious, but all four grandparents were from different countries. Being a 'mongrel' doesn't bother me but it does mean I have draws to different parts of the world. I won't spoil a nice afternoon by discussing details but let's just say I do sometimes wonder what it's like to have ties only to one place. I have some sympathy with those in and from Cornwall and their claim to nationhood (and maybe more, politically speaking) but the land mass currently known as the British Isles has been claimed by and settled by many different tribes and groups over the years. Just where do you draw the line? To pick on just one county, Kent, it has been an independent country in the past, though even within that there's a division between the Men of Kent and Kentish Men. Romney Marshmen were mentioned last night... 

Good news from @Dave Hunt, I hope you continue to get the necessary support. (Is there a Home from Hospital scheme in your area?) - I found them to be very helpful with my mother's problems. Fingers crossed for his recovery. 

Scanning through the comments on parking, I have this vision of a motorist with his own tow truck, with a crane on the back, following him around, so that when he parks on the roadside, the truck lifts the car onto the pavement, avoiding the problem of driving the car on the pavement to park on it. A little extreme perhaps?  

And now back to work... 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2021 at 06:02, chrisf said:

When I finally reached town the nature of the other secret became apparent.  The bank no longer opens on Thursdays.  It used to open an hour later on Wednesdays and I had got used to that.  Oh well, what would life be without minor irritations?

We are having similar issues with our branch of Barclays in Lancaster, though it remains (for now) open five days a week - but not on Saturdays however only with restricted hours - machines until 4.00, but counter (if indeed you can convince the guards staff that you NEED the counter - I found that the best way is if you are dealing in cash to include in the amount deposited or withdrawn some coins - machines can't cope with them) and as usual COVID as the excuse - I have noted, though that many branches are now opening only four days a week - and Kirkby Lonsdale has now been cut to two days a week from 9.30 to 2 - and the only branch that I have seen that opens on a Saturday is in Ludlow (but they are not open on a Wednesday!)  I fear that this is going to be new normal evem with COVID under some sort of control.  I would happily not deal with any bank now, but it is impossible.

Afternoon All

Sorry, but yet again, I have not been able to catch up.  So as with what is now my norm, I can only offer the generic greetings to fellow ERs;

Was up by 07.00 this morning, as we had a lot of paperwork to catch up on, and some new moving calculations, as the removal estimates have come in at about twice what we'd expected.  On removal firm has quoted on the basis of a four day move, which of course will ramp up the costs, and I don't think it is necessary - of course the estimator is on a couple of days off - Friday and Monday, so I can't query this with him.

A6 tomorrow unless it's rained off.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

‘ afternoon all from red dragon land.

sunneeeeeee :sungum:

G time spent sitting in sun (& spot weeding...er hum).

just started watching Wales match...

• Like 16