RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning bright and quite breezy which is a blessing as we are not used to this heat up here, I've become acclimatised to only having one day for summer now....................(It would seem I somehow forgot to wish every one a good night last night, sorry about that)

• Like 19

Just now, jonny777 said:

Am I surprised about the death and destruction from weather in Germany and Belgium? 

No I am not. Meteorologists warned everyone 30 years ago that this kind of extreme was going to be a regular occurrence, but everyone just laughed.... and carried on as normal. "Why should we listen to weather people?" they guffawed, "they can't even get tomorrow's forecast right". 

I agree, and even thirty years ago they got tomorrow's forecast right far more often than not. The problem is that most people don't understand probability so it's been very difficult for the forecasters  to include the level of uncertainty in public forecasts. In general, the public also don't understand the difference between meteorology and climatology and also want childishly simple answers to complex questions (the sort that populist politicians and the papers that back them are only too willing to offer them)

If the real answer to the question, "is it going to rain tomorrow" is that rain is unlikely that doesn't make the forecast wrong  if it does rain. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Warming up nicely but still plenty of cloud being blown in by a brisk NE breeze, if that wasn't there it would be el scorchio. The high pressure system will move eastwards by Sunday so no wind and no clouds so it will be hot! That though is better than what is happening across the North Sea. The low pressure system with all its rain that caused the flooding in west London is now pushed up against the Eiffel mountains and there its stuck but it looks as if the high pressure system will squeeze it out like a zit over the coming days. The death toll in Germany is not far short of 100 but with 1,300 people unaccounted for its bound to rise. Time to get on with the rest of the day, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

I am sick and tired of all the PC carp being thrust down our throats telling us what to think or do and to apologise for everything that our forefathers did in past centuries.

There is a world of difference between being told what to think and say and asking ourselves to stop and think about what a large number of our fellow citizens have thrust down their own throats everyday.  I don't feel personally guilty about the crimes of our forefathers- it wasn't me who committed them- but I do feel a responsibility as a citizen to be aware of them, to understand how they've been sanitised since, and the echoes from them that still influence our thinking today. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1