Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

During my next phone call to the manufacturers we discussed trading standards, their CEO's address, goods being fit for purpose, the meaning of life and other topics and it was agreed that the 'engineer' would visit again, my having made clear that this was the last chance for them to sort it out before refunding me not just for the cost of the mis-named heater but it's installation.

Was there also mention of an Air-Strike by any chance?

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

LDC REPORT.:spiteful:

Not as good as the normal Lemon Cake as there was no lemon cream inside, just the lemon icing on the top and light lemon flavour to the actual cakie bit.

DISAPPOINTED = YES.:notme::cry::cry:

Bear feels your pain......:friends:

The Co-op ruined a perfectly perfect LDC by ditching the yummy bit in the middle :angry::angry:, reducing it to "very nice" status.

In other news:

Cornice fitted?  Check*

Access panel fitted?  Check

Sink sealed?  Check

Window sill sealed?  Check

Now the kettle is being descaled.....

Bear's Total B*llshit Of The Day Award:

Goes to Evo-stick, for printing the words "Trade Only" on a tube of clear silicone sealant - purchased from one of the sheds.  Do they (and other companies doing the same) think that we'll be impressed by such drivel?  Sell it to me for a trade price and then I'll be more impressed.  Is that a rant?

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I imagine the brass at the beginning would be a very effective alarm clock :)

Especially as my clumsy attempts to pause it restarted it.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Many years ago a history teacher friend had a  part time business printing leaflets and business cards. He had an offset litho machine in their garage. He had no trouble providing a printed letterhead to prove trade status for all kinds of place that only sold to trade customers. 

He didn't live in Knebworth did he?   There used to be a chap with a little printing business in his shed or garage in Knebworth.  He did excellent work, very good value for money and a colleague used to use him quite regularly for various printing jobs.

Alan

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Quite enjoyable visit to the toy fair. Bought a few bits and pieces though one or two traders were conspicuous by their absence. Feet are sore and a bit of eye lid inspection is called for so its be back later.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all

Before lunch today I managed a three mile brisk walk before it started raining.  It;s not actually raining much in W. London but I am hearing the odd rumble of thunder.

A close family member is out of hospital which is good but still sounds quite weak. 

Yesterday I went to a BBQ in Richmond, ate and drank more than I'm accustomed to these days and. expecting grey and rain, was probably hatless in the sun for a bit too long so felt slightly jaded this morning. I went there and back by bus- it's an awkward journey by rail involving three or four legs by tube. It was about an hour each way on two buses including some waiting time,  and it was again interesting to see who was and was not wearing masks now they're not legally required (they are by TfL as a condition of carriage but that's not being enforced and half the public don't seem to know anyway) Fortunately the buses weren't crowded and all the windows were open on the upper deck.  

It was my birthday last week so my present to myself was a couple of books from the half price sale that Editions Loco-Revue are currently holding. One on the Blanc-Argent thing-with-parallel-metal-bars a metre apart and the other, that I've wanted for some time but not for forty quid, on the Correze thing with parallel metal bars a metre apart that ran along the side of rural roads in the Correze département of remotest France. It was the last of these in France powered by gaseous water to survive though plans to rebuild part of it have come to nothing . The books arrived very quickly accompanied by a triplicate customs declaration that clearly nobody had looked at so at least one company in the EU has figured out how to send stuff to third countries.

I now have to write an obituary which is a sad duty but well deserved by its subject who I knew tolerably well.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear successfully descaled the kettle - and then the 'effin lid hinge went and broke....:angry::angry:

And that definitely is a rant.....

So now a new one has been selected and ordered and is due to be delivered tomorrow from South America.  At least Bojo paid for a large wedge of it using one of Bear's vouchers resulting from C-19 testing.

Incidentally, one thing I will say about a certain company's "Prime" membership is that it is possible to purchase certain items cheaply and get them delivered very quickly; an example is a pack of four AA Batteries for the princely sum of 99p delivered.  They didn't make much profit on that little number.....:laugh:

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We are told by the weather womble on the radio to expect thunderstorms, the radar shows nothing

They are all over here thundering on the Wombles themselves.  Our warning was upgraded from Yellow to Amber an hour or so ago with threats of lightning damage to buildings but so far - thingies crossed - all we have had is intense humidity, moderate rain and a lot of thunder rumbling in the distance.  The radar shows it to be bad a few miles away however.  Wimbledon is among the places to not be right now.  

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies.....

image.png.82f8c23264093277a85faf3f7cb4d46a.png

image.png.fb757810ac963ab6d998cd78f292a10c.png

image.png.c0d4a9f8c3b21ed34720c0f3288ed615.png

image.png.3af402fbcf9025828b11777df64b9c36.png

image.png.d6b0e5321d15a1dcf23fae767ac09cfb.png

image.png.7932046dcfe050f6ad015db98b1c20bc.png

image.png.382c7ba0a6daec0246c8bafc44b2bec9.png

image.png.45fd0a613ea805507516c6bb1ff8dda6.png

image.png.422e99a70f1d6d528a9ca9bfc7bea62d.png

image.png.3a6f43eedda9d2b6538c214fe4af2263.png

image.png.b108b399fc14fffa7495d539c6841378.png

image.png.96b7c5c5d72f50fb44fc75c9ee25ebf6.png

image.png.003781703ecbbe75b1f9a0181e54e163.png

image.png.b987f6c09fca9546dfaedb51f2a9a313.png

image.png.dbb6d02d4bf830fc28cad9a2024c9ffc.png

image.png.a6f8e126c386bbce9efea21df86326e2.png

Someone asked me,

“Now that you’re retired, do you have a job?”

I replied, “Yes I am my wife's driver, porter, handyman and sexual advisor."

Somewhat shocked, he said

"I beg your pardon, but what do you mean by the last one?"

"Very simple. The wife has told me that when she wants my f****** advice, she'll ask me for it.”

Longest Nerve In The Body

Did you know that in the human body there is a nerve that connects the eyeball to the ?

It's called the Anal Optic Nerve, and it is responsible for giving people a sh1tty outlook on life.

If you don't believe it, pull a hair from your ass and see if it doesn't bring a tear to your eyes.

My public service is done for the day!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

They are all over here thundering on the Wombles themselves.  Our warning was upgraded from Yellow to Amber an hour or so ago with threats of lightning damage to buildings but so far - thingies crossed - all we have had is intense humidity, moderate rain and a lot of thunder rumbling in the distance.  The radar shows it to be bad a few miles away however.  Wimbledon is among the places to not be right now.  

Its just past Waterlooville from Pompey and on its way N/E as I speak, started about 3, and the last rumble was about an hour ago.

ENJOY.:D

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear successfully descaled the kettle - and then the 'effin lid hinge went and broke....:angry::angry:

And that definitely is a rant.....

So now a new one has been selected and ordered and is due to be delivered tomorrow from South America.  At least Bojo paid for a large wedge of it using one of Bear's vouchers resulting from C-19 testing.

Incidentally, one thing I will say about a certain company's "Prime" membership is that it is possible to purchase certain items cheaply and get them delivered very quickly; an example is a pack of four AA Batteries for the princely sum of 99p delivered.  They didn't make much profit on that little number.....:laugh:

The point of Amazon is not to make a profit on anything for decades, but to pay no tax in as many countries as they can declare a loss in. The point of Amazon is to bankrupt all the competition, and then they will be able to charge as much as they like. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has been in full voice this afternoon, sure sign that there is dampness around. I did hear the patter of rain earlier during eye-lid inspection  but there can't be much of it as the road beneath the trees opposite my house was bone dry, just enough to set A.I. off.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

MOrning, 18c and heading upwards quickly once more.

Taking the friend out again in the kayak, he's trying to decide if he's going to buy one so we're off to a different place, Derbyhaven way down south, and the place where the first Derby horse race took place - not Derby in the UK.  The earl - or was it Lord - Derby owned Fraggle Rock at the time.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

The point of Amazon is not to make a profit on anything for decades, but to pay no tax in as many countries as they can declare a loss in. The point of Amazon is to bankrupt all the competition, and then they will be able to charge as much as they like. 

I refuse to buy anything from robbing, scheming bunch of...........(insert expletive here) I would rather pay more elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, it would appear this morning's post, didn't, until I started the computer again this afternoon!

Q, Mrs NHN doesn't have any truck with target archery, all those sights, balancers, diddlers or whatever they are called, are considered cheating in her branch of field archery, it's intuitive shooting only, and also no compound bows (although one guy does use one, his scores don't get included in the club records).  Debs (and most of the field archery club!) considers target archery as *&^%$£"! boring.....  Also, being as the distance to the target is constant, they don't move, there's no trees in the way, and they have have all those gadgets, how on earth can they actually miss?  There is a target club here, they're a snooty lot, a couple of the folk shoot there too just to get more shooting time, but don't much enjoy it other than the opportunity to shoot longer ranges than there generally are in field.

Kayaking went well again, but friend Geoff has found there is a world shortage of the damn things, so can't actually get one he likes.  He will be joining us next year by the look of it.

• Like 17