The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

For colour I wonder if my Grandad's old method would work. He spent a couple of years on the painting gang in the days when they mixed their own from linseed oil and white lead. He always put a bit of blue into the white paint to give a better finish. Just like your Granny putting Reckitt's Blue in the white washing to make it look brighter. 

Anyone remember Daz washing powder's "Blue Whiteness"?

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Previously I have always used oil based - and given the choice would do again; sadly the EU(?), having stuck their nebby in and banned many of the desirable (other opinions may exist) substances that made oil based paints the wondrous thing they were. 

Don't blame the EU for that. Here in Canada you can't get oil-based paints any more, either. I regret their disappearance, too!

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Hopefully the journey will go well

I am sure it will. Aditi has had conversations with various people she knows through her French group and they haven’t had any problems due to current regulations. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I have used some of those modern imitation water based quick drying paints. Absolutely useless in most cases except for the primer as a first coat on wood for rubbing down.

For my last paint job I used Dulux Non-Drip Gloss on Dulux Trade undercoat. Expensive, high VOC, but it went on well and seems to be holding up against the wear and tear of the kitchen. I never use paint which says 'brushes clean in water' for top coating woodwork. 

My thoughts entirely - I'm also of the opinion that water based paints don't withstand knocks nearly as well as oil based. 

9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Just like your Granny putting Reckitt's Blue in the white washing to make it look brighter. 

Bear still has some "Dolly Blue" in the cupboard; I see that Amazon are selling it now (I thought it was long gone), now called "Crown Blue"

9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

ps in my experience modern white oil based paint tends to yellow more if it is not exposed to daylight

Yes, there's a lot on the 'net about yellowing being worse in dark corners etc.

8 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

And I bet , should you move house,  some Philistine will paint the lot :(

My Boss & SWMBO spent literally weeks totally redecorating a deceased relative's house (every weekend, on a house 200 miles from where he lived) prior to sale.  The new owner didn't even move in - he bulldozed the place so he could build his own house.

Ever seen a grown man (almost) cry.....

8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Ava and I went into the kitchen and we once again made a tray of rocky road cake and like last week, she took most of it with her when she went home. 

:cry::cry:

In other news:

I see a young 13 year old GB girl has won a Bronze doing very clever stuff with a 4-wheeled plank of wood (making her the youngest ever GB Medal Winner); many of us were making Airfix kits at that age....

And I note that if "Total Number of Medals Won" were to count then GB would be in Bronze place; sadly they go by who's got the most Gold.  Fix.....

Bear plans to finally sort the Wall Tiles into different shades of colour as a starter for ten; I had primed up the Tiler for a potential "Bear will be ready" as from next Monday, but since I'm still waiting for the splashback to arrive it's looking decidedly shaky ......

And finally:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/sarah-gilbert-vaccine-barbie/index.html

Now I wonder if "Action Man" will follow up with a "Captain Cynical"......?

:laugh:

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3