RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Clear Prop, Contact!

4 hours ago, polybear said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58352098

Bear got the princely sum of two hundred notes (with strings attached on what you could spend it on - and yes, they wanted receipts) for 20 years service (many companies give now't).  Forty years is somewhat better at a grand (IIRC - Puppers?) but I missed that by 18 months (that anniversary is actually due in a few day's time).  I could've delayed early retirement to get it - but it works out at roughly £12-80 a week bonus for a year and a half of my life.  Don't think so......:no:.  Of course, they could've done the decent thing and said "close enough - have it as a leaving prezzie".  Puppers is currently on the floor wettin' himself larfin'.......

Quick!!!!!   Pass the mop .......

In all honesty though, you can see why the "Shall I stay an extra 18 months" fails the Cost / Benefit Analysis every time unless you work, for example, for Apple.   

As I've said numerous times;  Life is too short and you're dead for a very long time!

4 hours ago, polybear said:

https://greenwoodmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk/product-category/oo-turntable-kits/

Telephone calls result in a "busy right now, so send me an email" message - and emails don't get answered.  Now if there were hoards of other companies offering similar products then I'd be walking....but sadly that isn't an option.....

It's not at all clear what you actually get for your £115 (other than you don't get a motor).  Do you get a decently engineered bearing, drive and indexing system for example or is it just a load of laser cut ply?    If it's the latter and I wanted to go down that route I'd definitely be investigating "investing" in a laser cutter and DiY as, once the turntable bits were done the world would be your laser-cut Oyster.  It can't be that hard to do ...

Sorry, sorry, sorry!    I'm sailing perilously close to the topic that must not be mentioned!     

I'll give myself a severe telling-off and a slap round the chops with a wet kipper.

Alan

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/08/2021 at 15:06, TheQ said:

Only with webbed paws..

Funny that you should mention that...

At yesterday’s consultants conference one of my colleagues stated that they had just come back from a holiday on the Norfolk Broads so, naturally, the expression “Normal for Norfolk“ came up. And yes, along with local variations – such as “NFB” in the neurology notes that one of my colleagues often saw when working in Norfolk (NFB standing for “Normal for Barnstable“) “ Normal for Norfolk“  is used by medics working there (although apparently now frowned upon).  Another colleague chimed in saying that when she did her rotation through one of the hospitals in Norfolk she often saw newborns with polydactyly (although the extra digit was removed surgically before the infant was discharged). Leading the medical cynic to wonder if the gene pool in that part of Britain is as shallow as the Broads themselves.

This got me thinking (again) about how fascinating the human body is. apart from atavism and the “switching on” of genes that should not be “switched on (or “off” for that matter) resulting in things like her hirsutism, polydactyly and the like, modern cell biology has really thrown up some interesting findings: for example, we share over 95% of our DNA with the great apes, 84% of our DNA with dogs and a surprising 60% of our DNA with bananas and 45% of our DNA with cabbages (there are unkind colleagues of mine who would point out that the latter two findings would explain much about many of the patients that they see). Humans have also incorporated DNA from viruses, bacteria, funghi and other microorganisms into our own genome during our long climb up the evolutionary tree.

I could witter on for ages about all the fascinating things that biology has turned up (or in some cases - thrown at us), but I don’t want to bore you. But I will leave you with an interesting fact from my student foetal developmental medicine readings: The Y chromosome (the very definition of masculinity) is biologically not necessary; humans are viable with 2X chromosomes (women), one X chromosome (XO [Turner’s Syndrome] are viable females  - though with notable developmental defects) or even with 3X chromosomes (XXX [Trisomy X]  are viable females and the extra X chromosome can express itself as anything from total normality to severe disability) whereas there is no viable YO karyotype. Y monosomy is fatal in utero. And the so-called “super males“ (XYY syndrome)  are viable although the extra Y chromosome doesn’t bring any benefits (and can actually be detrimental) 

So Gents, it goes to show that that old expression used to describe one’s female partner (“the better half“) is a lot truer than you may care to acknowledge….

Have a splendid science filled weekend!

Edited by iL Dottore
Error
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

It would be interesting to do a genetic study of those in Airedale apart from suspected in breeding you didnt get a village idiot you had a village of idiots. Woe betide anyone who strayed into Fryston pit village outsiders were definatley not welcome. There was a play park built there as part of a regeneration scheme that was filmed for Channel 4 it was presented by Kevin Mc Cloud. The Council used to recieved complaints if outsiders used to take their kids there.

There was a lovely board walk built alongside the banks of the Aire starting at the bridge over the Aire at Castleford leading down the bank towards Hicksons but that was left to rack and ruin and arguments over who maintained it. Infact the structure was condemned we were not allowed to go on it. The picnic area the path led to was lovely full of old fridges and used drug needles we once filled a sharps bin to the top. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Reading Flávio’s post prompts me to mention that I am re-reading “Trilobite!” by Richard Fortey. The part I am reading now is discussing trilobite eyes, which uniquely were made of calcite.

it goes on to discuss how the genetic clocks in rna and dna have been used to determine that sight first emerged somewhere between 750 and 1250 mya. This means that there are at least 200 million years of evolution between then and the first known trilobites. Numbers like that are almost beyond comprehension. Trilobites went extinct at the end of the Permian, a run of some 300 million years, around twice as long as the dinosaurs were around, and 150 times as long as humans.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Trilobites

Ah. Takes me back to A-level then BSc geology. My palaeontology lecturer had other interests too. Not least of which was his garden railway using parts and rolling stock found, begged, bought or scavenged from the quarries he visited as a geologist. 

Sadly all was not well and he ended his own days being found in the gents one morning hanging rather than the more normal posture one might adopt. 

And they are tri-lobites rhyming with “why” because they had three lobes. Not the often-heard and apparently Americanised “trill-obites” rhyming with “will”. 

Imagine a woodlouse with three rows of segments not one, flexible at each joint and living in the sea. Not exactly related but vaguely similar. 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Trilobites went extinct at the end of the Permian, a run of some 300 million years, around twice as long as the dinosaurs were around, and 150 times as long as humans.

Just goes to show what an arrogant and self centred species H0mo sapiens is. We’ve only been around for a very short while in Earth’s long history and because we have opposable thumbs, stereo vision, can use tools and have mastered fire we think we are the Lords of Creation.

Who is to say that we were THE first technological society to inhabit this planet. 500 million years on a geologically active rock like our planet Earth would certainly eliminate all traces of a technological society.

I wonder if, in another 500 million years, the descendants of man or alien species were to come across our planet whether or not they would find any trace of our society.

”Deep Time” is pretty scary and awesome to contemplate…

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's plan for the day includes more squirting of silicone sealant around a door frame

Failed.....

......a little bit of the G word.....

Tick :yahoo:

Well actually it turned out to be a big bit of the G word - which explains other failures.

Bear happy.

...........some more items to go on the 'bay

Failed.....

....and then make it up as I go along......

Tick - including talking to buddy next door whilst doing the G word, helping him load someone's car with a chest of drawers that SWMBO had sold on the 'net instead of taking it with them on moving day, and delivering a jumbo bag of bird seed to buddy over the road (I'd purchased it to use it my own back garden - until I discovered that Tweety Pie has a habit of sorting thru' the seed and lobbing the dross he doesn't like on the floor - whereupon it grows.....).

I've got enough weeding to do, without Tweety upping my workload :angry:

I'll also attempt to make contact with the proprieter of the following company - and not for the first, second, third or fourth time :angry: - to discuss the potential purchase of one of the following:

https://greenwoodmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk/product-category/oo-turntable-kits/

Failed....numerous times.....:banghead:

And finally.....

Bear received a parcel today that I hadn't a clue what was in it - and nor had Mrs Hermes Delivery Lady.  It turned out to be my new stainless steel polished flip-top soft-close kitchen waste bin :yahoo:

If only the lid wasn't dented it'd be very nice....:angry::angry:

So onto Amazon to request a replacement/return - only to discover I can't yet because I'd received it before the predicted delivery date.  Now what sort of Bozo comes up with a rule like that??

:banghead:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Late again.

Old Farts bike club day, nice run out all the way down to port Erin for a slap-up brunch, then coffees in Peel, like a bunch of marauding Vikings.....or something.  Perhaps not...... :lol:

753804258_20210827_1328251.jpg.863fede53a85bfcbc02374f6e850d527.jpg

Geoff (closest) is an honorary OF at 40, he's Mick's son and a thoroughly nice bloke. The rest of us....err....aren't 40!

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought it was the upper Spen Valley, where is a game the whole family can play.....

Jamie

Mmmm! The more you interbreed, the more likely for homozygous recessive genetic defects to appear (as genes come in pairs, a dominant gene just has to be present once for it to have an effect on the organism, whereas a recessive gene has to be present on both chromosomes for it to have an effect on the organism) - although it’s a lot more complicated than Mendelian genetics would have you believe.

Interestingly, whilst human reproductive behaviour is certainly influenced by the environment (i.e. society) there is one behaviour - or rather avoidance of a behaviour - that seems to be pretty much hardwired into a human being as it is present in every single human society on Earth. And that is the prohibition against mating with a close relative. Those small groups of people that do manage, for whatever reason, to override this hardwired avoidance behaviour tend to end up not only looking almost identical with one another but also tend to go the whole six fingers, no chin, buck teeth, imbecile route (Look what happened to the Habsburgs).

To be honest, the number of ways things can go wrong with a human being before they are even thrust into this cold heartless world makes one wonder how we actually manage to survive as a species at all.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Studying Geology at A level certainly gave a feeling of the insignificance of time especially when i was doing A level Religious Studies dealing with events that may or may not have occoured 2000 years ago when you dealing with millions of years

At least the events which may or may not have taken placr over six days to create Life, The Universe and Everything* are described in the correct order. Whether those who wrote about such things around 2000 years ago had any real concept of the true age of the Earth is unknown but they were certainly smart. 

There are other parallels. The flood of Noah’s time has been equated with the great Cenomanian Transgression or one of the Polar ice-melt events. The parting of the Red Sea has also been described in geophysical terms as a credible and actual phenomenon and was apparently not unique. 

* With a nod to the late Douglas Adams 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

To be honest, the number of ways things can go wrong with a human being before they are even thrust into this cold heartless world makes one wonder how we actually manage to survive as a species at all.

Sounds a bit like the Vogons before they destroyed earth for the Intergalactic Highway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

27 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There are other parallels. The flood of Noah’s time has been equated with the great Cenomanian Transgression or one of the Polar ice-melt events. The parting of the Red Sea has also been described in geophysical terms as a credible and actual phenomenon and was apparently not unique. 

These have also been linked to the Santorini explosion of 1646BCE

Mavor, James (1968?) The End of Atlantis

I have it somewhere.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

This got me thinking (again) about how fascinating the human body is. apart from atavism and the “switching on” of genes that should not be “switched on (or “off” for that matter) resulting in things like her hirsutism, polydactyly and the like, modern cell biology has really thrown up some interesting findings: for example, we share over 95% of our DNA with the great apes, 84% of our DNA with dogs and a surprising 60% of our DNA with bananas and 45% of our DNA with cabbages (there are unkind colleagues of mine who would point out that the latter two findings would explain much about many of the patients that they see). Humans have also incorporated DNA from viruses, bacteria, funghi and other microorganisms into our own genome during our long climb up the evolutionary tree.

Horses and Donkeys are further apart genetically than human beings are with chimpanzees. As horses can be mated to produce mules and hinnies so its quite possible for humans to mate with some species of ape.

20 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just goes to show what an arrogant and self centred species H0mo sapiens is. We’ve only been around for a very short while in Earth’s long history and because we have opposable thumbs, stereo vision, can use tools and have mastered fire we think we are the Lords of Creation.

Who is to say that we were THE first technological society to inhabit this planet. 500 million years on a geologically active rock like our planet Earth would certainly eliminate all traces of a technological society.

I wonder if, in another 500 million years, the descendants of man or alien species were to come across our planet whether or not they would find any trace of our society.

”Deep Time” is pretty scary and awesome to contemplate…

Given that the universe is billions of years old and in that time many solar systems would have come and gone its a distinct possibility that intelligent life that could have developed into a technological society and that could have disappeared without trace before planet Earth existed. And even when Earth disappears in a supernova there is the possibility that a future civilisation will arise that is still cosmic dust at the moment.

17 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Mmmm! The more you interbreed, the more likely for homozygous recessive genetic defects to appear (as genes come in pairs, a dominant gene just has to be present once for it to have an effect on the organism, whereas a recessive gene has to be present on both chromosomes for it to have an effect on the organism) - although it’s a lot more complicated than Mendelian genetics would have you believe.

Interestingly, whilst human reproductive behaviour is certainly influenced by the environment (i.e. society) there is one behaviour - or rather avoidance of a behaviour - that seems to be pretty much hardwired into a human being as it is present in every single human society on Earth. And that is the prohibition against mating with a close relative. Those small groups of people that do manage, for whatever reason, to override this hardwired avoidance behaviour tend to end up not only looking almost identical with one another but also tend to go the whole six fingers, no chin, buck teeth, imbecile route (Look what happened to the Habsburgs).

The Habsburgs have nothing on the ancient Egyptians. DNA analysis has confirmed that Tutankhamen's parents were brother and sister and their parents were half siblings. This resulted in him suffering many congenital defects and probably led to his early death.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5