Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I like the way Bear, PhiljW and The Lurker are thinking. There’s definitely a role for these chaps in Captain Cynical’s organisation.

The answers provided are - for the most part - correct. Question 3 I would argue is the box jellyfish as the stings are so agonising that you would spasm, go under and drown very quickly. As for 5), the trick question, if you knew about it then it wouldn’t be a perfect crime….

PhiljW is complaining that today’s quiz was too easy. Harrumph! I guess I’ll have to bring forward my next quiz (on musical instruments) and make it really hard!

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

PhiljW is complaining that today’s quiz was too easy. Harrumph! I guess I’ll have to bring forward my next quiz (on musical instruments) and make it really hard!

As I am completely tone deaf and sing like an elephant with his gonads gripped in a vice I think I will pass on any music question. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, and a dull but warm one it is, persisting down off and on, 18c, and a Fraggle at a bit of a loose end.  This may mean housework....pah!

A bit late on this morning too, but because I was distracted by a faceache link to this:

John Miles being from my home town, and as confirmed by the album cover at the time, he used the same barber as me!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

You only have @PhilJ W to blame for the following. He complained that this morning's quiz was too easy.

Here's a slightly harder quiz:

1.    Which is the odd one out: SOUND CITY, HIWATT, Mesa-Boogie, W-E-M?

2.    Annie Haslam was/is the lead singer with which group?

• The Victorian Era
  • Renaissance
  • The Middle Ages
  • The Enlightenment
  • Annie’s All-Star Band

3.    What do Joe Strummer, Steve “The Colonel” Cropper and Bruce Springsteen all have in common (apart from being successful musicians)?

4.    What is unique about Dave Brubeck’s Take 5 and who played the sax on the recording?

5.    “The Great American Songbook” is a genre brings together the best of American popular music from about 1920 to about 1960. Linda Ronstadt recorded 3 albums of songs from the Great American Songbook.

• What were the names of the albums?
  • With which renowned musician did Linda collaborate?

6.    Who is/was the “Chairman of The Board”?

7.    What caused fights at its premiere in 1913 in Paris?

8.    On which folk rock album would you find a poem by Robert Burns and who was the group that recorded the album

9.    In June 2019 someone spent $3.9 Million on buying a guitar, a record price.

• What was the make (and year) of the guitar?
  • Why was it so special?

10.  Arvo Pärt composes modern liturgical and classical music using the compositional technique known as i) Cacophony; ii) Tintinnabuli; iii) Chromatic Harmony

Bonus Question:

11. What is "Mother of Toilet Seat"?

Have fun!

Edited by iL Dottore
Date correction. Added bonus question
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I know # 2 but Neil has answered. #6 Chairman of the board is Frank Sinatra. I think # 1 is Sound City which is a studio. The others are all types of music.

Except HIWATT which  is a species of penguin.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I know # 2 but Neil has answered. #6 Chairman of the board is Frank Sinatra. I think # 1 is Sound City which is a studio. The others are all types of music.

Correction, the answer to question 1 is W-E-M, the others are amplifiers. IIRC W-E-M was a group.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

This may mean housework....pah!

Bear feels your pain, having just completed the bathroom - that's 2 hours 38 minutes of my life I'll not see again.  Still:

(a) It's very clean, and

(b) It's a bit like having your goolies whacked between two house bricks - it feels great when it's finished.....

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

5: Serco track & trace. 

:laugh:

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

.....yokel and herpes....

:laugh::laugh:

DHL?  Drop it, hide it, lose it......

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

OK Bear, how many LDCs did you require?

Oodles.  And if Big H is visiting it'll be oodles and oodles...

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Do you need to set up a "Just in Bear Time"  delivery system? 

Sounds good...

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Have you got plenty of hard standing for 8 off 40 Tonne articulated lorries?

If Puppers has the drivers, Bear has the space....

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

When should deliveries start?  

Ready....

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Fence.jpg.11d64313752c44b2458b10f7bdddebaf.jpg

Hmm....Bear thinks it's, well, somewhat subdued - that'll be down to Pupper's previous employment no doubt.

I was thinking more of:

image.png.07fbc9bb965f71831280fc35632ab330.png

- with:

image.png.0404a837122cb8158c5f2d6eb463b6ec.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Correction, the answer to question 1 is W-E-M, the others are amplifiers. IIRC W-E-M was a group.

Not a group but a company called Western Electrical Music IIRC who were some of the first people to solve the problem of how to get decent soubd to large crowds at festivals. When the fompany folded many if thevpeople went to work for the Cliff Richard Organisation. Cliff makes quite a bitnif money providing PA and lighting services.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5