The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I suspect, Chris, you will be arriving up the A11 to Norwich , the show you wish to attend, I think, is to the north with a little bit of west of Norwich. So the only supermarket fuel I could recommend is:

To turn right on to the southern bypass, towards Great Yarmouth,

At the next junction turn left onto the A140 towards Norwich, 

And a couple of hundred yards on your right is Tesco's Harford bridge, where I used to work.

On fueling up turn back up the hill to the southern bypass,

rejoin it heading towards GY, 

At the second junction , that's the first after the river bridge.

Take the left Turn onto the NDR A1270.

After crossing 6 roundabouts, take the A140 slip road and head towards Alysham.

Yep the A140 that you were on at Harford bridge, but  going through Norwich is not easy anyway, and a major junction en route in town is being rebuilt.. it's chaos...

After that you need your map because I've forgotten the name of the village and the email invitation to the event is not on this computer.

However,  I'm going to miss the tie... Sadly I had intended to be at the event, involving small more accurate than commercially produced items, but instead I shall be doing more mile's than you are, and not arrive back till show closing time.

As for driving. Recent trials of the E10 fuel are not encouraging, a long journey Saturday indicated that at motorway speeds our little 1300 drops to 28mpg.. that's significantly down on 35mpg previously.

Ben the I want out Collie has taken me for his morning patrol, during which I suffered, yesterday he got a longer than normal long walk and my right hip is telling me about it.

No problems with adverts, but now I have a white bar across the top so if I hit the three horizontal bars, the result disappears beneath the bar so I can't do anything about it.

Time to reboot this computer strange other things are happening..

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

As for driving. Recent trials of the E10 fuel are not encouraging, a long journey Saturday indicated that at motorway speeds our little 1300 drops to 28mpg.. that's significantly down on 35mpg previously.

Sounds like a few calcs may be worthwhile to see if Super Unleaded would work out financially - that's still E5; IIRC the Esso option is actually E0 (no ethanol - so theoretically the best mpg?) though because of regs the pumps are still marked E5

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  Wet underfoot, there has obviously been a decent amount of rain overnight but it's now getting brighter.  We did go the the market yesterday then called at a friend's for coffee and cake.  A bitbof unspecified potterring was accomplished then after tea and after thechens had been put to bed, we chatted to Martin and Katie for nearly an hour and a half. Nothing major but very nice. Then watched Vigil .

Today the first task is to tidy the dining room. Not having had visitors staying for some time, 2 years worth of stuff junk has somehow gotbonto the table and any other surface it can find. We may be some time. If it stays clear some grass mowing may takevplace after lunch.

Very sorry to hear about your SiL Dave.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit nippy this morning but not cold enough to start the heating up, the thermometer is showing 23C. which at least shows that the house is well insulated.

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My wife's sister died yesterday.

(sorry to be a downer)

She's been in the hospital most of this year in intensive care.  It looks as if it was lung cancer (she'd been married to 2 smokers) and she was not allowed to swallow. She went into palliative care on Thursday.

Her son flew in and managed to see her before she went -- or was she holding on until then?  Dayle went in to see her on Thursday and had a bit of a successful conversation.

Very sorry to hear that news, condolences to you and your family.

44 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I've noticed a drop in fuel consumption since I started using E10 and I only just refilled on Saturday. Next time like PB I'll go for super unleaded. The car did seem to run better when I accidently filled up with super unleaded a couple of years ago. I won't be using the car until tomorrow at least as this afternoon I'm having a dilation eye test so I won't be here until later this evening when hopefully I can see the screen. Tomorrow my internet, TV and even land line will be down for a few hours so I might have to do some railway modelling.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Q.  From my base in Bedford I will be heading up the A1 to the Peterborough area and then taking the A47 round Kings Lynn towards Melton Constable.  A bit further on is Briston where the event is.  Most of the route is through unfamiliar territory and I am coming to the view that I should set off from Bedford with a full tank.

Chris

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a bit foggy this morning and it’s also a lot cooler than it’s been just lately and the fog appears to be getting worse as the day is progressing. If the fog fog persists I won’t be painting the fireplace as the air is too damp, I shall have to wait for a dry, sunny day with little or no wind. However, I do have to go out this morning to collect my new glasses, which I ordered and paid for just over a week ago. But in the current ‘climate’ I couldn’t just drop in and collect them, oh no, I had to book an appointment to have them fitted, so I will be attending at 10 o’clock. 

After that, as I am in the town centre, I’m going to do the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and I should just about have finished putting the shopping away when Sheila gets back from her Zumba class. We were given a load of apples last week, so I need to do something with them before they start to go off, I gave Vickie half last Saturday, so I shall get cracking with that task, there’s only about a dozen or so, but they are quite large, so I expect to get a decent batch of stewed apples by dinner time. 

As for the afternoon, I’ve no firm plans as yet, but there is always work to do in the garden. 

Back later. 

Brian

PS. David, so sorry for your lose

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The weather reports on BBC breakfast are coming from the Chelsea flower show. It was mentioned about it being on in autumn instead of its usual spring time show. I was thinking what about two shows a year or perhaps alternate spring/autumn shows.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the advert problem many people are having with RMW, I've found that for some reason if I use the iPad to access the site the only ad that appears is the one across the top of the page that offers the World of Railways subscription from RMW itself. Whether it's to do with the fact that it's a fairly old iPad with only a small memory I don't know - maybe one of our more knowledgeable IT savvy members would.

As others have stated, whilst appreciating that this site has to pay for itself somehow it does seem somewhat counter-productive to be losing members due to over intrusive advertising. And on a similar vein, does anyone know why Baz has dropped out of ERs?

Dave

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks damp out and is rather cloudy. The weather shouldn’t affect my loft clearing unless I run out of space in the spare bedroom being used to temporarily store stuff and have to start using a shed. 
Aditi has loaded her car ready for a trip to the tip. She plans to go after school traffic has subsided. 
I can’t comment on the fuel economy E10 theme as we don’t go anywhere that makes a comparison possible.  I think E10 was standard in other countries we drove through a few years ago and didn’t notice anything then.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Grammar
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My wife's sister died yesterday.

(sorry to be a downer)

She's been in the hospital most of this year in intensive care.  It looks as if it was lung cancer (she'd been married to 2 smokers) and she was not allowed to swallow. She went into palliative care on Thursday.

Her son flew in and managed to see her before she went -- or was she holding on until then?  Dayle went in to see her on Thursday and had a bit of a successful conversation.

Condolences to you and yours David

• Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all 

An early check in from me just done the school run and now having a mug of decaf.

Firstly may i extend my condolences to Dave for his loss.

I have a white banner ad across the top of my screen on my phone i cant see if I have any notifications on Rmweb.

Having just got back driving and a new car I have been experimenting with fuel (diesel) working out cost per mile on an excel spreadsheet by multiplying the litres filled by cost per litre divided by the mileage. I have filled up at 4 different stations now Including a supermarket the next stage is a premium diesel such as Shell vpower or equivalent so far with the limited data set I have there isnt much difference in cost per mile.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Thanks, Q.  From my base in Bedford I will be heading up the A1 to the Peterborough area and then taking the A47 round Kings Lynn towards Melton Constable.  A bit further on is Briston where the event is.  Most of the route is through unfamiliar territory and I am coming to the view that I should set off from Bedford with a full tank.

Chris

So that'll be A47, A149, A148. If you need it, there's a Tesco filling station just off and visible from, the Hardwick junction, where you leave the A47, for The A149. Very easy to access especially heading north toward the show.

That's the point we'll cross routes as I'll be coming down the A17, joining The A47 at the junction before, then I carry on the A47.

I could carry on round the A149 to within 5 miles of home. But that is a very long way round.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13

Greetings all from Sidcup which is grey and cool and has been slightly damp.

Condolences to David.

I am not particularly fussed by the adverts - they are a minor inconvenience for free access to the site.

Baz' last post here was along the lines of "So Long and Thanks for all the fish". Assuming we are not destroyed by the vogon constructor fleet, he'll find us here still, and be welcome.

Anyway, time for the first work meeting

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

The waiting game has now started, as I have placed offers with the agents dealing with the two properties which I would like to buy.  One almost gave me a heart attack, as the first person I spoke to said "it went under offer at the weekend" - however, when I spoke to her colleague, it transpired that the offer was, in fact, mine.

And of course, generic greetings are on offer from an ad free 45156, as I will now persist with using uBlock - which is currently blocking 6 ads on this page.  How I wish that we didn't have to resort to such measures, as I would accept a few ads, paticularly here, but I fear that the ads are going to be a permanent feature now, as Warners cannot support the site ad free.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Condolences David on the loss of your sister in law.

Good morning all from a slightly damp but rain free West London.

I've decided that today's the day I'll start preliminary work on the December edition of the Journal I edit- mostly twisting a few more arms  to get writing. Hopefully it won't be too much of a deadline rush as the day for sending it to the printer in late November starts approaching at full speed with no brakes pinned down but that'll probably still happen. 

On the E5-E10 question, I've noticed a small drop in MPG from when I first bought the car last November but I'm not sure when E10 was introduced. It's still far better than what I got from my previous car- also a Ford Focus-  and far less than the difference in price between standard (E10) and premium (E5) fuel.

In theory, I've always undersood that a higher octane rating alone shouldn't make any difference to the performance of an engine whose compression ratio makes it capable of handling the lower octane fue, a higher octance simply makes it possible to use a higher compression and therefore more efficient use of fuel (why diesel engines are more fuel efficient) and higher power from the same size engine. There may though be other factors at work particularly in modern engines (with variable timing ?) and in cars fitted with turbochargers which mine now is than my simple suck, squeeze, bang. blow, understanding of the four stroke Otto cycle. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I know the site costs money and I know there is a way to reduce or remove adverts.  For the amount of input and enjoyment I currently get from the site (ERs excepted) I feel it isn't worth that for now. 

If I'm not logged in l get all sorts of problems on my phone and using some browsers on a laptop or desktop.

The paid version doesn't seem to give any problems and when I joined that it was cheaper than the magazine subscriptions included.

On the desktop or laptop I use Firefox or Brave. Both are free and can be set for blocking ads which helps. 

I've noticed recently that some other sites have become almost unusable pn my phone because of ad banners blocking where buttons or content should be.

I understand our leader is currently looking into the issue and will report back later, unless of course one of the ads manages to devour his site access permissions. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. A parcel has just arrived, the third such parcel from Oxford Diecast. They are offering £100 worth of models for £50 which is pretty good value but its pot luck what you get in the parcel. As a result I now have three Eddie Stobart AEC tipper trucks, one arrived in each box. Not too concerned as I can either sell them on or use them for code 3's. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Bear's fun so far has included ensuring that all tile grout joints are clean and completely free of adhesive, dross etc. (I can afford to spend much longer doing this than the Tiler can/would).  Then all the base units were covered with one of those plastic drop cloths that are a quid in the cheapo shops - that should keep any dust out.  The wall units will have to take their chances.  Now I'm waiting for the Tiler to appear - he did warn he'd be late.  As a result of all this fun I forgot about a certain kitbuilt item that was ending on the 'bay - and missed out :banghead:- it sold for a fairly bargain price too, though of course the buyer could've paid a lot more if Bear had submitted a bid.  I subscribe to a sniping site too....

The parcel to Fraggle Rock is all packed up & ready to go - after Bear adjusted a cardboard box measuring 46cm to one measuring under 45cm in order to keep RM happy... :angry:.  All I need to do is drop it off at the Post Office - postage is already paid online; four quid to FR for a signed parcel seems like a fair deal.

Then the postie delivered new clock hands to fit the new clock mechanism fitted to Bear's railway room clock (no surprises there then).  It's now back on the wall and telling the time quite happily, complete with pendulum wobbling back n' forth.  Happy Bear.

edit:  Bear's "Multi-quote" (+) symbol has disappeared yet again - all I did was go and do something else for a couple of hours and it goes into a strop....:banghead:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I got the time wrong for my eye dilation test, its not until an hour and a half later :banghead: . Could be worse, I could have got it wrong the other way.

At least it isn’t a sunny day. Mine always seem to be on really bright days. For the last one I fully intended to walk home but it was so bright it was very uncomfortable so I phoned Aditi who came and found me standing in some shady shrubbery. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

I've been using a blocker for a long time. Every time I try to switch it off for RMweb, my security starts thowing wobblers at some of the embedded advert code. So, it stays on. I think the day that the site starts detecting and blocking the blockers, and very likely that will be a next step as more people get fed up with not the adverts themselves but the volume of them, will be my farewell. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all 

Some more pyracanthus clippings that were made yesterday have been cut up small clippings have gone in the garden bin larger branches to the bonfire pile.

I started filling a sack yesterday with clippings so I thought I would continue filling this morning. It had been left on its side last night. I stood it on end and started clipping then I saw the bottom of the sack move grabbing the shovel expecting a rat or mouse to come tumbling out I emptied it out and found a frog of all things he was quickly encouraged in to the thicker grass round the lavender bed.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5