The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A decent amount of sleep overnight.

I need to empty the Beast of items we don't talk about here but first.. time to wield the Shark and make the house presentable for visitors this week.

I listened to Radio 5 live last night coming home. It was a talk show programme about the CoVids.. one entertaining man suggested that anything involving taking away his "liberty" was wrong but couldn't come up with a way of helping the NHS other than pouring money into it.. but he did mention he didn't pay a lot of tax.. so he can infringe the liberty of over 75% of the population by not taking any precautions like..wearing a face mask or telling people he hasn't had the jabs.. Pah! What a durak!!!

Stay safe.. mugatea awaits.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not bad for a man who appeared for the defence for Ronnie Biggs at the Great Train Robbery trial although he did reportedly send a donation to the Jack Mills fund as well

One thing you can rely on with Lawyers is that they'll never let guilt get in the way of a pay cheque.....

A friend of my Boss was MOST upset that he'd lost a defence case (it was a murder case - and the guy was banged to rights).  My Boss:

"But it was blatantly obvious he'd done it!!  :angry:"

Lawyer:  "True - but it doesn't look good on my record that I've lost a case....:cry:"

7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Said cake has now been placed in a @polybear-proof container and hidden away.

:rofl:

7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

@polybear will be pleased to note that the last courgettes of the season have now been used for more cake. When filling and topping have been added tomorrow it will be for immediate consumption as I need to demolish it within seven days of production.

Courgettes?  In a cake?  Not sure whether to be intrigued or :bad: - at present I'm tending towards the latter....

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Yum Yum.  Cooking fat and baby wipes strike again, no doubt.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

They sometimes show NASCAR here on the digital channels. After about 5 laps I have absolutely  no idea who is winning since it seems just a continuous  unbroken loop   of cars to me - I guess its an acquired skill.  

I'd only watch it for the crashes.

In other news:

Bear has an appointment with a scraper today.....Day One starts here.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s definitely an early rise for me this morning, a lot earlier than I’m now used to! Breakfast has been consumed and I will shortly head off to give a little more blood ahead of my up coming op. Once that’s done, I shall complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix before returning home. After that the rest of the day is as yet unplanned, but no doubt that may change. 

Thoughts as ever with Simon and Rick’s wives and hope they both get some better diagnoses. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've always thought it was the front row at a Cliff Richard concert only there they have no teeth.  

Jamie

They do have teeth but they leave them at home as they glow in the UV light.:jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A few squeaks from Arthur Itis this morning but now he's gone back into his box. Not a lot to do today except a visit to Tesco's for a few things. Other than that there's things that shouldn't be mentioned on ER's.

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Whats going on there? Surprised to see this result in todays news. It was only August when the UK and US were way out in front of us vaccine-wise and we were a basket case, looking on with envy , but the numbers there seem to have slowed right down and now it looks like we are doing a Steve Bradbury*.

vaccinessmall.jpg.f0ebde149e6b0c0b3a582a66654e56ac.jpg

A lot of the drop back in the US is down to social media.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Courgettes?  In a cake?  Not sure whether to be intrigued or :bad: - at present I'm tending towards the latter....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/therewillbenutmeg.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/floras-famous-courgette-cake/amp/

It's included in Nigella's 'Domestic Goddess' book. You can also make it as a chocolate cake.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It used to be that British physicians were renowned for their incredible  diagnostic skills, that doesn’t seem seem case here. Although if you were to listen to an acquaintance of mine – a senior oncology consultant in the NHS - it is because the training and the immediate after-training working experience isn’t as demanding and rigorous as it was when he was a registrar. He also claims that many of the young doctors nowadays couldn’t even begin to shoulder half of what he had to shoulder as a registrar. Something I think that holds true in many areas today (and you ought to hear what my [retired] GP friend has to say about female, part-time, GPs. Uncomplimentary is the least of it).

Sadly days long since passed. Now you are lucky if you can get past Sister Drac to see a locum or work experience GP, whose  diagnostic skills totally depend on the ability to work a keyboard and view the NHS website

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

Firstly, I am saddened to hear about the various trials and tribulations of the SWMBOs of some of our ER posters. I do hope that definitive diagnoses can be arrived at and proper treatment plans put into place. My best wishes for a speedy resolution.

It used to be that British physicians were renowned for their incredible  diagnostic skills, that doesn’t seem seem case here. Although if you were to listen to an acquaintance of mine – a senior oncology consultant in the NHS - it is because the training and the immediate after-training working experience isn’t as demanding and rigorous as it was when he was a registrar. He also claims that many of the young doctors nowadays couldn’t even begin to shoulder half of what he had to shoulder as a registrar. Something I think that holds true in many areas today (and you ought to hear what my [retired] GP friend has to say about female, part-time, GPs. Uncomplimentary is the least of it).

It’s interesting to note that “tape delay” is still being used as a term nowadays, given that everything is done digitally. Tape delay is used in many areas of entertainment, but the one I’m most familiar with are those tape delays used in rock ‘n’ roll. Apparently, the very best tape delay ever made was the Binson Echorec, long out of production and incredibly temperamental  (even when new). Not the best machine to take on the road, yet at one point it was said that the only two people who know how to keep a Binson Echorec functioning on tour were David Gilmour and his guitar tech. The few Binsons that are still around go for silly money whenever they (rarely) come up for sale. 

Whilst on the topic of music, It’s interesting to note that vintage high quality musical instruments now cost more to buy than when they were bought new. For example: even without an association with a famous guitarist, a 59 Gibson Les Paul can go for $500,000 or more! Something that can’t be said of much else (art and cars certainly always tend to go up in price - but what else?)

To be contentious for a moment, I want to claim that the following guitars are “definitive“ and every “new” type of guitar since are just derivations of these originals

• Gibson Les Paul
  • Gibson SG
  • Fender Telecaster
  • Fender Stratocaster
  • Gibson ES family (ES 335, ES 345, ES 355 etc.)
  • Rickenbacker 300 series

as a sidenote, I have to say that having acquired one of each (apart from the Rickenbacker) I found all of the above eminently playable, except for the Gibson SG. However, not playing all of them on a regular basis (and on a strong “recommendation” by the Alpine Angel of Death) I have slimmed down my electric guitar collection to a Les Paul, two Strats (one home-made from a kit project) and a Tele. Interestingly (or least interestingly to fellow guitarist gearheads) I tend to go through phases whereby I tend to play one guitar almost exclusively. Currently my “go-to“ guitar is my Gibson Les Paul Gold Top.

Despite having reduced my collection, I still suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and I have been toying with the idea of buying one of these as a test bed for DIY modification and upgrade https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cst_24t_emerald_flame.htm

And on that sort of rock ‘n’ roll note, I bid you a great start to the week!

iD

Charlie Watkins' WEM copycat was a very usable echo unit popular with rock bands on the road, not quite a Binson I'll grant you, but it worked, pretty sure Pink Floyd used them as well. On guitars, pretty sure John Monteleone would claim not to be a copier and I'm certain some would claim his work superior to any instrument produced, I know Mark Knopfler reveres his.

Have a look at this

Guitar Stories Mark Knopfler SkyArts1 - YouTube

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Blue sky with some clouds and sunshine but it probably won't last as some heavy showers are possible along with the chance of hail and thunder.

Rugby watched as usual yesterday and once again Saracens showed no mercy.  Victims this time were Wasps who didn't do too badly for a while but they have about 15 players sidelined with injury at the moment and a couple more were added to the list yesterday.

Steak was pronounced excellent last night.  It's the reason we always go to this butcher but this seemed even better than usual.  Mind you the chef did take some credit....:whistle:

Watched some TV in the evening then tried to watch a film before the FI but dozed off halfway through.  Woke in time to see most of the race (dozed off again for 10 minutes).  After that I took some time to finish off the rather generous amount of Highland Park I'd poured myself so didn't get to bed until 2.00am.  The Boss woke me at 8.00 with a cuppa and it's taken me until now to surface properly.

Now trying to decide what to do today.. I've actually put my "decorating" clothes on but enthusiasm is waning fast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Definitely! Courgettes are known as zucchinis in North America. Anyone who grows them usually ends up with far too many to use as vegetables themselves and gives them away to friends. A common way to use them up is in cake baking.

Our next door neighbours grow them; we don’t. So we regularly get their extras. A favourite use of my wife’s for them is this: 

https://stylesweet.com/blog/2019/6/5/turn-an-abundance-of-summer-squash-into-this-lemon-zucchini-cake . I think you might approve. 

My daughter-in-law also does a mean chocolate zucchini cake. 

Thanks for the tip, pH. A friend of ours grows them on her allotment but doesn't eat them herself so she gives them to us. We're knee deep in the damned things!

Dave

• Like 10
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oops the water level is a little higher than normal.. But those warning signs say not to park there at a normal high tide..

246569524-169732935330657-768899504775617556-n.jpg.d16c231681be340716ee75c46987695e.jpg

Is insurance invalidated by being brain dead. I hope so.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks for the tip, pH. A friend of ours grows them on her allotment but doesn't eat them herself so she gives them to us. We're knee deep in the damned things!

Dave

If you BBQ, then dirty courgette is a nice side dish. Split lengthways, rub with olive oil and SPG (salt pepper garlic), and lay them skin down directly on the coals until they start to blister. yum. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

We usually grow courgettes. About three plants seems sufficient for us. If any hide under the leaves and grow to marrow size we give them to neighbours who like the larger variety. However what we don’t eat get frozen. When we had a huge surplus one year they were turned into courgette and ginger jam. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

If you BBQ, then dirty courgette is a nice side dish. Split lengthways, rub with olive oil and SPG (salt pepper garlic), and lay them skin down directly on the coals until they start to blister. yum. 

Split them lengthways, fry in better till the white side il golden brown, then tip into a dish with so it, sprinkle with cheese then 20 mi utes at Regulo in the oven.  Delicious.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Fortunately your pair of acquaintances opinions don’t match my experiences over many years of being a patient. My GP is excellent…

You have indeed been lucky. From many of the experiences posted on ER, others seem not to have been so lucky with their GP.

All my friends and acquaintances who have worked in the NHS in different roles and who have moved to Europe or the US to work as clinicians or to work in the medical industries all say the same things: The frontline of the NHS (Doctors, Nurses, Technicians) is usually pretty good, The rest of the NHS? Overly bureaucratic, inefficient and in places downright incompetent.

One of my ex-NHS friends was telling me last Saturday that during his surgical rotation he and fellow students were to participate in a 7:30 am procedure. When 7:30 came around, there was no patient to be operated on. Why? Because there was no porter to take the patient from the ward to the operating theatre. “No problems” said my friend and some of his colleagues, “we’ll go to the ward and get the patient ourselves”. They weren’t allowed to do that because “they hadn’t been trained in the correct manner to push a gurney“. The net result: a poor patient had his/her surgery cancelled and a group of surgeons, an anaesthesiologist and the operating theatre nurses were left standing around twiddling their thumbs until the porter eventually turned up and the second patient scheduled for surgery that day was wheeled into the operating theatre.

As long as people refuse to admit that there are flaws in the NHS (a lot of which have nothing to do with funding) and that the NHS is not the envy of the world and start to have a grown-up discussion about what the NHS is for, how it should be funded and how do you Futureproof the system, then I do not see the present postcode lottery in terms of excellence of care as changing any time soon.

• Like 5
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Because there was no porter to take the patient from the ward to the operating theatre. “No problems” said my friend and some of his colleagues, “we’ll go to the ward and get the patient ourselves”. They weren’t allowed to do that because “they hadn’t been trained in the correct manner to push a gurney“.

It must have been a long time ago. Perhaps the nurses who pushed me to the recovery ward on recent visits had been trained.  

• Like 15