The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Last night at home I discovered that one of the books I purchased at Tolworth was already in my collection.  It's a good book, but not that good.  Oh dear.

I'm sure we all have felt your pain at some point; I've now resorted to "a book list" (there's also a trains list, and a kits list....) in order to (hopefully) avoid such happenings.  As @TheQ has mentioned, one of the tricky circumstances is when the publisher changes the front cover design, thus making the "I haven't got that one" scenario all too easy.

53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And to complicate matters, there’s the vexed issue of how they should be eaten, namely:

1. Buttered only
  2. Buttered, then jam.
  3. Buttered, then jam, then clotted cream
  4. Buttered, then clotted cream, then jam
  5. Unbuttered, jam.
  6. Unbuttered, jam, then clotted cream
  7. Unbuttered, clotted cream, then jam

And if that wasn’t enough, there is also the troublesome issue of “jam purity”: Is strawberry jam the only one, true, companion to scones, or are the “lesser” jams - such as raspberry or blackberry - also permitted? (Discuss).

42 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

What about types as well,

plain,

sultana,

cheese,

cherry.

almond

and probably other.

For me just jam but occasionally nothing at all. Either raspberry or strawberry.

Favourite is cherry, then sultana, plane and then cheese.

No almond as I have an allergy to them.

Anyway better get a move on, places to go.

Number 2, buttered, strawberry jam for this Bear

Number 1 at a pinch, though I'd feel cheated; number 5 would feel, well, strange.

Definitely sultana, though plain or cherry is much better than now't.

In other news:

The Beary shoulder/arm/paw is showing definite signs of improvement today :yahoo:, though leccy work will continue to be postponed until (hopefully) tomorrow.

So to keep myself out of trouble today I hope to rig up a smart in-line switch to control the lights in a display cabinet that lives in the Conservatory.  Though to do that I need to be able to open "Alexa" on the tablet - and despite all attempts the Alexa App refused to play nicely last night.  B'stard.

I also have a recently purchased very small four-wheeled object to be tested (only via a rolling road).... 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TheQ said:

You be keeping suxmethonium, away from me. That be rapid death..

cholinesterase deficiency be a major problem.

The research was of course because of the very much delayed recovery from anaesthetic of some people and the 'paralysis' that the said 'relaxant' caused.  Cannot this remember the name of the prominent initial research doctor but remember seeing her with a permanent disability as a result of said chemical

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. After yesterdays exertions I'm taking it easy today. I had a few rumbles from Arthur Itis and Si Attica last night and a bit of stiffness this morning that a long hot soak in the bath soon dealt with. Muggatee time, be back later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Greetings all from a grey Sidcup. A quiet weekend is in progress although nerves are coming from upstairs as Elder Lurker has his first ever job interview/ trial day tomorrow; a job going at a school near Blackheath station as  a SEN TA. It comes with training so will be ideal for him if he gets it as that seem to be what he wants to do.

we will watch the F1 later and I am slated to hoover and cook lunch in a bit (Hairy Bikers’ chicken paprikash).

i pronounce scone to rhyme with gone despite being a lifelong southerner. Not fussed about the jam/cream debate as I don’t like cream. Dropscones we’re known as Scotch Pancakes as a child, and like Baz they were covered with golden syrup. Welsh cakes were made by my Welsh grandma and known as Bakestones.

anyway better get on with the chores

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings

After breakfast in the ‘Spoons at Victoria station I attended the Tolworth show yesterday but stayed for only two hours.  One reason was that my legs started hurting like crazy and I was grateful for the generous provision of chairs in the venue.  Thankfully the pain has gone this morning.  If it returns I suppose I had better consult the vet but let us hope that it does not come to that. 

Chris   

I would suggest one of these @chrisf,

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/mobility-aids/rollators-and-wheeled-walkers/rollators-with-seats?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-HJw6t6sH2flpCtwhVGMfyelRLQpB9EhjsoFrgOp7WmYI6QsJJPYIgaAk34EALw_wcB

I have had one for about four years. You still get to exercise your legs without putting too much strain on them and of course you have a seat handy whenever you need one. They also make an excellent shopping trolley at exhibitions etc. They fold up to go in the car and are quite easy to erect. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

On 13/11/2021 at 14:18, Dave Hunt said:

Re Rick’s point about respect and courtesy, a while ago I opened a door for a woman and stepped aside to let her through, whereupon she spat, “Sexist,” at me and stepped away from it until I had entered. She then swept past and glared at me. I used the term woman as I don’t regard such behaviour as ladylike.

Dave

I'd be tempted to have punched it in the mouth and then say "if a bloke talked to me like that, that's my response"

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

13 hours ago, brianusa said:

Coming to the US, I can see why.  Our double bathroom has at least four on each wall with real switches, no string dangling from the ceiling!  We have survived for the last twenty years in this house:)

Brian.

A question arises though, why? I cannot think of anything I would want to plug in whilst in the bathroom.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

A question arises though, why? I cannot think of anything I would want to plug in whilst in the bathroom.

A former girlfriend had a washing machine in her bathroom: quite common in France.

I wanted to wire it with a fixed fused output but I was advised that the electrical regs insist on a socket.

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Well I think I've caught up, only went away for a day and there's "hunners" of posts to read. We had a very pleasant meal and the two tearaways that pass for Grandsons were on best behaviour, I had a mixed grill in this small village pub in rural Perthshire and I couldnae manage a pudding afterwards, but after adjourning back to the daughters for cake, I did manage a small piece of that before the hour long drive home. Had a walk round the fields earlier, I do like an autumnal walk in the stubble fields, though these days minus a shotgun and armed with a pair of binoculars instead.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It won't be that fast - the railway barriers are down again at Ford for the next six trains to pass!  :jester:  

Indeed, although the most I've ever noted has been 5! (However, one can always turn left with the gates down and head towards Arundel!!)

A couple of years back, Yapton Crossing was converted from AHBC to CCTV and in the survey, it was logged that the barriers were down for 40 minutes per hour!

I am researching an article for our Right Lines Ezine on the local signalling practices to try and shed some light on why Ford and Yapton crossing are not car-friendly and need to book an audience with the local MOM to get the correct operational information!

• Informative/Useful 10