The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Where's Tarquin gone?  Is nothing sacred? :laugh:

Bad press imho. Apparently all said Tarquins are insulating something or other by supergluing them selves to motorways. A lot of em look like an age group who should know better, or is it "early onset", or has the world gone mad? 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My guess would be that someone at the satellite provider has deliberately turned some knobs on the encoder to produce a higher level of compression to squeeze more content through a fixed bandwidth.

And make the upgrade seem better.  

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have to say that made me smile. No offense to your young nieces - I won't suggest any flirts' names.

I did notice the autocorrect had corrected first to flirt. I thought I had corrected it before anyone had noticed. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I’ve only got one such monitor connected to mine. Just to show that occasionally when getting a new pc it may be sensible to RTFM after connecting the Alienware PC to power, monitor keyboard etc I couldn’t see how to turn it on. I looked everywhere for an on button. Not sure what caused me to press the alien icon, I had  assumed it was a badge. I did feel silly. 

But on the upside you do get to choose what colour you want the on switch to glow/pulse..   Along with choosing the LED  lighting scheme for the  rest of the box and the keyboard , that takes a surprising time to set up. Too many choices!

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I saw the Big give advertised on You Tube the other day in the UK the Lichfield canal trust were asking for donations that were going to be doubled. They weren't the only charity involved.

"The Big Give" is now up and running - it ends at 12pm on the 7th December; any donations to charity are doubled at no cost to you (and I suspect Gift Aid with increase it yet further).  There's a huge range of charities - from The Big C to Hospices, Air Ambulances, Animals etc. etc.  There's even one for Bears :yahoo:

I even found one for Hippo's....I think......

https://donate.thebiggive.org.uk/campaign/a056900001tyfMVAAY

:laugh:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I did notice the autocorrect had corrected first to flirt. I thought I had corrected it before anyone had noticed. 

And the young ladies aren’t named after locos either!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

But on the upside you do get to choose what colour you want the on switch to glow/pulse..   Along with choosing the LED  lighting scheme for the  rest of the box and the keyboard , that takes a surprising time to set up. Too many choices!

The keyboard with led effects wasn’t available here with a full UK keyboard, only international layout. So I just ordered it with the fairly basic one. I do however like illuminated keys so I added a Corsair brand keyboard. The time to set up was basically to learn how to stop the rainbow and rainfall pattern effects and just have plain blue or white. I am very boring!

• Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The keyboard with led effects wasn’t available here with a full UK keyboard, only international layout. So I just ordered it with the fairly basic one. I do however like illuminated keys so I added a Corsair brand keyboard. The time to set up was basically to learn how to stop the rainbow and rainfall pattern effects and just have plain blue or white. I am very boring!

My home laptop is  a 17" DELL G7 which is pretty much  Alienware spec with all the LED options.  After 2 days of using it  with the keyboard and underside LED strips slowly scrolling through the entire colour spectrum via pretty colour pulsing effects  I too have set it to boring pale blue! 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

I even found one for Hippo's....I think..

The Birmingham Hippodrome wasn’t for Hippos! I must have been there to see pantos when I was little. There were pantos at the other theatres too. I am sure we also,went to the “Alex” (Alexandra Theatre) and on a junior school trip to see “Toad of Toad Hall” at the Birmingham Rep.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

My home laptop is  a 17" DELL G7 which is pretty much  Alienware spec with all the LED options.  After 2 days of using it  with the keyboard and underside LED strips slowly scrolling through the entire colour spectrum via pretty colour pulsing effects  I too have set it to boring pale blue! 

My car is installed with all kinds of led lighting for knobs dials and inside storage spaces. I have set them to very dull red. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The top one hundred names chosen for new-borns. And some that are so out of fashion that no child has been given them. https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/family/top-100-baby-names-2021-25575274#source=push

I was trying to decipher where this data actually came from. The article references a source called "BabyCentre" but links to another Daily Mirror page.  This seems like a sample of people who volunteer this information rather than actual demographic data.

In the US, the Department of Social Security keeps track with their Popular Baby Names website. (They register birth names for social security cards.)

You'll see a lot of names in common with the UK, though it does say this about "Tarquin".

Tarquin is not in the top 1000 names for any year of birth beginning with 1900.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... now its Theodore, Xavier, Kai and Beau. 

Pull the other one! ;)

Theodore? Like this:

image.png.9645912723233e2b77b8ffb40cdc9440.png

More seriously, for 2020,

Seven of the top ten NSW boys' names match in the top ten USA boys' names.

Six of the top ten NSW girls' names match in the top ten USA girls' names.

That's surprisingly consistent.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I am now getting spam eMails where the sender or title have the letters double spaced or certain ones replaced with numbers/symbols.

I suspect this is to confuse or elude the spam filter, the way some persons try to evade the profanity filter.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14