The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

........and six more bars of chocolate making 24 bars in all.  I just hope I don't go off it now.

Dark choccy?  This Bear was never "on it" :nono: :bad:

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The company "Christmas box" arrived to day, 

Two small packets of biscuits

Two small chocolate bars,

One Scottish marroon bar.

One bar of tablet biscuit.

Jeez, their generosity knows no bounds.....(where's the Emoji for "Tight-ar5ed B'stards"?)

It even makes Bear's (and Pupper's) place of punishment look good - and the best we saw was a two quid bottle of plonk (wasted on a Bear that doesn't drink) and a small box of cheap (very cheap) "designer" choccies (with about 8 in the box) made by some bunch you'd never heard of (a box of Roses would've been much better).  When you throw in the free chrimbo din dins in the canteen (sorry, Restaurant...) then our cup really did runeth over.  And out of the goodness of their hearts they'd give us chrimbo eve afternoon off (but if you wanted the whole day off then it was a whole day's hols :angry:) - in practice the only reason they did this was to get the site cleared and shut down nice n' early.

In other news......

Bear has finished the framework for the boxing-in of the pipework :yahoo:- all that remains is to cover it with plasterboard (and with luck I have enough off-cuts left over from the kitchen refurb - plus bits scrounged out of NNN's skip some months ago - that I'll have enough to do the job).

And finally.....

Bear's G-Clamp made at school some forty-odd years ago - and still used today; the only thing to be aware of is not to go silly with the tightening as the frame is cast aluminium and therefore not as strong as a steel jobbie:

363317588_IMG_22041.JPG.830441a30c8dee36ba84ca561e171857.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Evening

Bit of a lay in this morning fell asleep in chair last night watching tv Mediaeval dead on Blaze the first episode was on Agincourt the second on a battle on a Swedish island in the Baltic sadly it didnt involve Volvos 

Today has been putting up outdoor xmas lights we start tomorrow inside 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After this mornings sunshine it turned grey and damp, even a bit of drizzle as I left Tess Coes. Terrible news from the USA re. tornado's. Report here.

https://www.today.com/video/tornadoes-threaten-eastern-us-after-ripping-through-6-states-128474181512

The death toll might be in excess of a hundred.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

... nope climate change won't stop them , there are golf courses in Saudi,

I don't think "the tour" (substitute "PGA", "European" etc as appropriate) will be willing to play on those 'novelty' courses for diehards in places like Saudi or Coober Pedy or Antarctica etc.

Where it might hit the fan is PGA tour events like the Waste Management Phoenix open - now that beneficiaries of Colorado River water will be on severe water restrictions. All the golf resorts in places like Arizona* and southern Nevada (think Las Vegas) are going to be in trouble.

* There are a number of 'desert' courses where the par 3s are natural (sagebrush, rocks and rattlesnakes) with traditional tee boxes and greens / landing areas but a stupendous amount of Colorado River water is involved nevertheless.

My casual observations are that PGA tour events seem to be experiencing more lightning and rain delays with increasing storms but that's not data driven.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Terrible news from the USA re. tornado's.

Nocturnal tornadoes are much deadlier. During the day, people are better able to heed warnings.

This storm system was forecast to include nocturnal tornadoes, but they are capricious and highly localized. *Most* people could go to sleep safely - with tornadoes you just never know who is in danger until the very last minutes.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It always amazed me how green the golf courses were on Tenerife 

I miss going I would have quite happily moved there

A lot of that is due to the rich volcanic soils. That is why many peoples have taken the risk of living close to volcanos.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That is why many peoples have taken the risk of living close to volcanos.

Given the low frequency of serious eruptions, (often several generations) the 'risk' of living near volcanoes (other than places where they are very frequent like Iceland or Hawaii) is perceived to be low for any given year and largely ignored until it becomes a problem.

It's no different to people who build homes on barrier islands in the American southeast. They will be devastated by hurricane storm surge eventually, but the period between serious storms at any given spot might (in the old days) have been longer than the lifespan of a beach house and in the meantime, the location is highly desirable. (Climate change makes a big difference in this calculus.)

Ignorance is often a factor and I mean that literally. I had already committed to move to the Pacific Northwest when, on an airplane, read an article about research and implications of the Cascadia Subduction zone earth quake of 1700. People of European ancestry had lived here for more than 150 years with no real understanding of the geological forces at work. (Of course there were indigenous oral traditions, but they were dismissed as legendary rather an interpretation of actual geological phenomena.)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After this mornings sunshine it turned grey and damp, even a bit of drizzle as I left Tess Coes. Terrible news from the USA re. tornado's. Report here.

https://www.today.com/video/tornadoes-threaten-eastern-us-after-ripping-through-6-states-128474181512

The death toll might be in excess of a hundred.

The pictures of the wrecked Amazon Warehouse are something else; I believe people are still missing from that site alone

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

The pictures of the wrecked Amazon Warehouse are something else; I believe people are still missing from that site alone

CNN (on television) is showing a video of pitch dark night where lightning flashes illuminate a huge tornado.

Drone footage from Mayfield, KY shows complete devastation of the town. Based on that, the Mayfield tornado was exceptionally large. CNN reported that some of the tornadoes were on the ground (leaving a path of destruction) for 200 miles! (This is staggering.)

There's a freight train "derailment" (blown over) in Earlington, KY. One photograph shows a bulk grain hopper (blown off it's wheelsets) well over a railcar length from the track.

The region roughly between St. Louis, MO and Nashville, TN seems to be where many of the worst tornadoes touched down heading to the northeast. The Amazon warehouse is in the outskirts of St. Louis.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CNN (on television) is showing a video of pitch dark night where lightning flashes illuminate a huge tornado.

Drone footage from Mayfield, KY shows complete devastation of the town. Based on that, the Mayfield tornado was exceptionally large. CNN reported that some of the tornadoes were on the ground (leaving a path of destruction) for 200 miles! (This is staggering.)

There's a freight train "derailment" (blown over) in Earlington, KY. One photograph shows a bulk grain hopper (blown off it's wheelsets) well over a railcar length from the track.

The region roughly between St. Louis, MO and Nashville, TN seems to be where many of the worst tornadoes touched down heading to the northeast. The Amazon warehouse is in the outskirts of St. Louis.

I visited the area when I went to the US forty years ago. The storms appear to be following the Shenandoah Valley. I passed through and stayed at many of the places named in the news report.

4 minutes ago, pH said:

From the link to the train derailment in Michael’s post above:

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/w_1100/https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F211211101924-11-midwest-weather-kentucky-1211.jpg

Look at how far the two cars on the left have been moved from the tracks!

I notice that the grey car has left a gouge in the earth.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And also Camelford in Cornwall where one once forded the River Camel but which now offers the luxury of a bridge!  Not a name of Cornish origin despite being translated into that language as Roskammel but coming from the Brythonic name for the River Allen which is now known as the Camel, plus the English "ford".  It has been associated in literature with Arthurian legend and the Battle of Camlann which is also attributed to Queen Camel in Somerset.  .

That's a Lot of Camels...

• Agree 11

Vile weather today. Not deadly or freezing like other places, but windy and rainy.

I missed my daily walk yesterday, having a fasting blood test at the doctor's and was keen to get out this morning. Opening the door the wind was howling in the fir trees and very heavy rain was falling. Even with rain gear this was going to be miserable so I opted out.

My house has generous eaves, but the windows are wet. As is my patio furniture, despite a very substantial roof over the patio with plenty of overhang.

Hours later, it's less intense and the grey sky is brighter but the rain hasn't stopped. The same rain is falling on the MLS cup final which is underway in Portland. I had contemplated getting a walk in when the match is over. We'll see.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15