The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

In other news.....

Gary Lineker has been praised for taking a thinly veiled swipe at Formula 1 following the dramatic end to the season which saw Max Verstappen snatch the world championship from Lewis Hamilton at the death.

The result sparked controversy across the world, and Lineker made his feelings very clear on the outcome while hosting Sunday night's BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

After highlights of the F1 season were played, the 61-year-old remarked: "That was the most incredible end to a season that had absolutely everything... apart from, possibly, a fair final lap."

:clapping:

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What is "fish"? "Fielder's choice"?  (A baseball scoring term.)

Australian fish and chip shops (at least those I remember) always had a choice of species.

generally haddock, cod, plaice or skate in most places around here. teh Magpie in Whitby

magpie menu

does a very wide variety of sea foods.. not cheap but very nice...

we like to go to Steels in Cleethorpes

Steels Menu

best fried fish I know.. served with bread and butter and pots of strong tea! Marvellous stuff!

and with that - goodnight to those who need their beds, Good Morning to our friends in Oz and Good afternoon to our North American correspondents.

Baz

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re: December birthdays

11 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I've had several friends with December birthdays who used to complain about that. Their immediate families were mostly quite diligent about celebrating their birthday properly but aunts and uncles tended not to be. I know several people who follow the European tradition of celebrating their "name day". For David that's commonly 29th December from King David which doesn't really help but, if you don't mind eating leeks,  you could choose St. David's day 1st March or possibly 25th June (St. David of Sweden) or any one of a few others.

I like the "name day" idea - so long as you have a Christian saint's name. Old testament names are popular in the US. Is there a date certain to commemorate "Noah"? I noticed "Axel" in the top 100 baby names for 2020. One presumes the parents are Guns N' Roses fans even adding the extra "e". According to one baby name website, Axel is Scandinavian in origin

I don't know why there isn't a tradition to celebrate Christmas-proximate birthdays for young, school-aged children six months out of phase. Better to have a birthday party in the summer.

My sister's birthday is on the ides of Ianuarius. My parents were always strapped after Christmas. Consequently her January birthday presents paled a bit compared to her siblings. On the other hand, one of my son's friends has a birthday on new year's eve - always a party!

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some years ago Dutch friends of ours came over here to stay and spent a few days in Scotland on the way. On arrival our friend Wim said that he had noticed quite a few dialect words in Scots that were either the same as or very similar to words in Frisian dialect.

Dave

49 minutes ago, pH said:

A Norwegian I worked with recognized some Scots dialect words, too. 

I think we can thank the Hanseatic League for a lot of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I think we can thank the Hanseatic League for a lot of that.

Frisian and English are quite similar in structure though not mutually intelligible in modern forms. There are many Frisian words that are identical in English.

Thank the Angles, Saxons and Jutes. The Jutes were neighbours to the Frisians. The Angles and Saxons moved through Frisia to invade and Frisians came with them.

How it got to Scotland is more interesting.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

$15 at Target - but yes, expensive for a bit of plastic used for a lark.

Yeah except sold out here, only online with a post-Christmas delivery...

I "considered dressing as Eddie on the swimming pool diving board, but both the wife AND kids vetoed that :jester:

20211220_ChristmasVacation.jpg.4c1a55cb99e2a63f936ce7a14cd9e057.jpg

NOTE: The inflatable RV was for THAT NIGHT ONLY, also vetoed for season-long use to avoid annoying the neighbors too much ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 13

9 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

SH!TTER'S FULL

Hilarious! And your wife wanted tastefully restrained lighting?

I remember my dad coming home with the Gene Autry Christmas album. He was so chuffed, having really wanted this and not been able to find it for years. I think his favourite song on that album was "Here comes Santa Claus" - which (or a variant recording) is on the "Christmas Vacation" soundtrack as the police arrive.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

15 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Yes, but we haven’t seen much sun yet. The last clear day was the day they were installed. So far we have according to the app saved a kg of CO2 which is equivalent to 0.01 trees planted. Trees must be the new comparison unit like London buses or elephants used to be. 

Here the standard comparison unit is "Sydney Harbours"  Eg -  ënough dirt to fill 15 Sydney Harbours needs to be excavated...." ëtc. 

Which is no use as a comparison to anybody because  A)  you cant see how deep it is,  or  B) know if they are counting  just the bit in the middle with the Bridge and Opera House or all the sticky outy bits  that run into  it like the Parramatta River as well.

34 and not a cloud in the sky! 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news a Happy Birthday to @BR60103 and warm wishes for the longest dark of the year.  Tomorrow offers the shortest daylight though I resist calling it the shortest day - they are all considered to have 24 hours even though we know that's actually fake news and we're always sold short by a tiny bit.  

But not the earliest sunset - that's already past. It always comes a couple of days before the shortest day so, not being an early riser, I always count the light returning from then.  

We're robbed of our 24 hours each day by 3m55.9s (and by social media by about 2 h 22m  though that does seem to be starting to fall)

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A popular offering for the fish and chips plate in Pacific northwest pubs is Halibut.  (There isn't usually a choice, but Pacific Halibut makes excellent fried fish.)

And is that why you (or others) go fishing? Just for the ....................................... no, I do not have the courage to type the word! :jester:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

So far we have according to the app saved a kg of CO2 which is equivalent to 0.01 trees planted. Trees must be the new comparison unit like London buses or elephants used to be. 

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here the standard comparison unit is "Sydney Harbours"  Eg -  ënough dirt to fill 15 Sydney Harbours needs to be excavated...." ëtc.

Not Olympic swimming pools or football fields?

I remember watching those "how it's made" type programmes with my son and we'd laugh where they would inevitably describe manufacturing quantities with pointless comparisons like "laid end-to-end they would, encircle the earth / reach the moon / whatever" 

A kg of CO2 would be 509l at standard temperature and pressure. (44.01g / mol).  I saw online someone post that a London bus occupies 112.5 m^3 *. At standard temperature and pressure you would need about 221 kg of CO2 to match the (squared up) space of a London bus.

* A 30' Routemaster is about 98 m^3.

EDIT:

I don't know how a tree planted is a fixed unit of CO2, unless it's per unit of time. As they grow, they keep on consuming carbon - even more when they get bigger. 50% of the dry mass of a tree is Carbon.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, polybear said:

The result sparked controversy across the world,

Gotta respectfully  say that  as someone who lives in another part of the world the only place I've heard anything about it is in your posts in ER!

Fish and chips here used to be a choice of flathead, bream etc or barramundi if you want to look posh, nowadays there's lots of junkfish from China being used. It's mushy and awful, makes even Flake seem good - that was  shark.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7