The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, eating a choc chip cookie last night(sugar free...................and mostly taste free) and a huge filling fell out, luckily an emergency appointment in an hour will hopefully see a temporary one fitted to see me over the festive season............more muddling tokens gone..............oh and two new tyres for the @rse end of the car at £114 a pop, no doubt plus vat, looks like me and SWMBO are getting a tyre each from Santa then......................................bah humbug...................................

If your car is front wheel drive ask the tyre fitters to put the front wheels on the back and the wheels fitted with the new tyres on the front.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Sleet here now, 5c still but it feels pretty nasty out.  

Fire lit, I'm battening down the hatches for the day, the walk to the village shop soaked cold into my bones, my hips were seizing up, the walk usually helps but not today.  Looks like time to do the washing then.....:rolleyes:

My hips are playing up as well, must be the weather.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

A couple of Days ago or so Il Dottore said that adding a layer round the hull of Blue Moon would increase Buoyancy therefore overcoming her extra weight..

I have looked at this before and while a good solution there aren't any materials that are light enough, deformable enough to fit, to increase the buoyancy, but strong enough for the job..

So the alternative is the hull has roughly a 18 inch radius where she meets the water, I could make some add on pieces say 1 ft radius to fix on the outside of the hull covering from just below to just above the waterline . This would increase the buoyancy and allow the materials to be strong enough in a more concentrated area..

One thought has just come to me and I can't remember exactly what I did 23 years ago, when the frames were first made..

Did I just draw the six frames  to the dimensions on my plans or did I reduce the frames by the thickness of the hull skin before building...

If I haven't then the hull is about a half inch thicker all round, would that be enough? I have no idea, and the three dimensional maths is err.. um.. Fun?  a large ball park calculation gives about 35Kg extra buoyancy.

I'll send myself an email to remind me to try the different figures on the boat design programme I've since used on the hull (it was originally all done by hand..) https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/ and over the next few days get a tape measure out..

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Late on parade today, due in part to getting up late and then picking up Ava for her final sewing session before Christmas and also having a chat with one of my former work colleagues, who I haven’t spoken to for nearly 8 months. We had a nice long chat about work, family, Christmas festivities etc and we plan to chat again next year. 

As Ava is busy sewing, I'm not doing much, so a bit of reading/research will be on the cards after dinner. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!     (It's till Pre-Munch in Puppershire :lol:)

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In prep for Shock and Awe 2 we had to prepare three deployable systems. We scrounged up 3 Vietnam era army  containers, these are like mini shipping containers about 5 ft square with a single door in them. We sent them off to some  company to install a metal rack for the servers and network switch, add a truck Style aircon unit to the top and a distribution panel for power.

Just after Shock and Awe 2 - The Return of Bangy Bits was announced my model flying club had need of some vessel to store the mower and other essential field equipment.   Obviously, a half length container was the way to go so we started looking.    Hmm, containers were in very short supply with prices to match even for the rusty, beaten-up and dented ones.   Very unfortunate timing!

12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

That story fills one with hope for humanity.         Or not ...........

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Her indoors is off to moreasons so I am awake very early. (VER?)

I've just done a quick trip to the local Moreasons for a few bits.     Absolutely heaving and I couldn't get out quick enough.   I really don't like being confronted and confined with the marauding hoards!

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Er, hang on.....

BUT IT'S STEVENAGE!!!!!  :laugh:

There used to be a road sign that amused Puppers.    It said words to the effect of "Stevenage Tourist Attractions".      I could only think of one;  the slip road onto the A1M :lol:

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Things are looking serious in Japan:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59750613

I heard about the chip shortage.   That's why the car manufacturers can't build any cars at the moment ....... :jester:

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

A couple of Days ago or so Il Dottore said that adding a layer round the hull of Blue Moon would increase Buoyancy therefore overcoming her extra weight..

I have looked at this before and while a good solution there aren't any materials that are light enough, deformable enough to fit, to increase the buoyancy, but strong enough for the job..

I think you'll find  that was a Puppers' Patented "Out of the Boat" idea but I would be willing to license it to CC Industries (GmbH).    I was struggling to think of a suitable material to implement such Blue Sky (or should that be water?) thinking.    The only material that I know would work for certain is Unobtanium in one of its many forms.

In Other News

I've only got the roof of the old shed to chop up into Mondog size bits now.

I might then have a go at removing the peening on the Beeza's Big End nuts in preparation for splitting the crank.   I'll then need to gain access to a hydraulic press of 20T+  and of course suitable replacement components.     It also looks like the oil pump mounting face on the crankcase casting will need a skim to return to a flat, gouge free, leak proof surface which may well introduce the need for a shim and or seal to restore the geometry.    Somebody in the bikes past was a REAL bodger (not just an amateur such as myself).

Looking forward to the landing of my daughter in Puppershire later today.    Perhaps son-in-law (as they are not married should that be Partner-in-law?) will help an old duffer load up the Mondog with old shed?

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If your car is front wheel drive ask the tyre fitters to put the front wheels on the back and the wheels fitted with the new tyres on the front.

Just had that done, hence slicks on the back........................................

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Some good news at last:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59750160

Let's see now...126 charges with a possible 12 months for each shows real promise.

All we need now is a suitable person to act as Judge.  I understand that the prime requirement is for someone who owns Rainbow Socks.....

Any takers?  

In other news:

Whilst watching an old edition of Heartbeat during scoff time I was somewhat taken by a TV ad for a spotlight promising all sorts of weird and wonderful illuminations - all for the bargain price of "....from £249-99...."  They'll even throw in - out of the goodness of their hearts - a second lamp "...worth £150......"  I wonder how many fall for such B.S.?  Enough to pay for TV adverts I 'spose....

:rofl:

And finally.....

Bear's order for some decent watch batteries (from a jewellery supplier) arrived today, along with a much awaited new junior hacksaw - with wooden handle, for about two and a half quid:

image.png.ecc6085fa1ecf8178b76aa205e0d2195.png

Only what was delivered was this:

image.png.059e041d53ee35b22ea90fcdd8770814.png

Bear sad - a call to the supplier and they tell me the website picture is wrong.  They'd refund the price and not to bother sending the saw back.  Er, wrong.  I still get landed with the delivery charge for four batteries - and not the saw I wanted.  Eventually they refunded half the postage.  Seems ok.  I'm ok for Junior Hacksaws, by the way.  And some....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, polybear said:

image.png.059e041d53ee35b22ea90fcdd8770814.png

I'm ok for Junior Hacksaws, by the way.  And some....

Ah!    Outed!    You're a closet Junior Hacksaw collector!!

Do they have numbers Sir?   Do you record them in a little book Sir?

Suits you Sir!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16