RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Like many here I find that RMWeb has been slow over the past few days.

Hearing about the download speeds some of you suffer when I first went on the Internet in 1996 it was dial up and I had 33.6kb.

I am on the Whitchurch, Cardiff exchange which was a pilot for Fibre to the cabinet in 2009 and now has Fibre to the premises if you wish - I took that option and this is the speed this morning

Untitled.jpg.198fa578be537ec6768f5c8d8039bd68.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny and cool Charente.  I did try to get on a few hours ago but gave up in disgust, thi gs were so slow. That pattern on a morning has now been the same for several days. The ads are getting annoying on my tablet, they take up over a third of the screen.  Anyway we have been to the market and had their vin chaud, or mulled wine. It was excellent.  Hopefully  I will be allowed to the shed to strangle so e wires this afternoon.

Regards to all especially to BoD.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was everywhere this morning but is slowly retreating. Yesterday my arm was sore where I had the booster jab almost two months ago. Then I didn't notice any side effects, delayed action?

3 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Unusual - no postings for 4.5 hours especially from the regular UK members - has RMweb been broken overnight ?.

I was asleep but it's very S-L-O-W this morning as it was last night before I went to bed. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Financial stuff dealt with and much shredding of paper has been done.  I actually managed to jam the thing by putting in too many sheets at a time but that has now been rectified.  Currently having a break and a muggatea whilst waiting for rugby to start but will have to take The Boss out to Nicki's but that will coincide with half-time. :yes:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Most requests to RMweb have timed out before service today.  This post may be an exception.  I'm sure Andy is onto it but the competing demands of many members choosing to use it as a free service and of a large and quite busy site having to be paid for largely through commercial advertising might not be conducive to a good night's sleep.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

It's like wading through sticky mud at the moment! If I don't rate a post the odds are It's because a large black box has appeared saying that there is a problem rating this post and won't go away.

When I get that I just click on the X in the right top hand corner, it then disappears. I then carry on to the next post. When I get to the bottom of the page I scroll up and most of the ratings I have given are visible and the others appear after a minute or less.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear spent the morning hoovering and refitting light switches and a mains socket as promised; having woken with a headache which still hasn't gone away (plus the Tigger Bounce has a somewhat lower altitude than normal) I'm currently awaiting the results of a DIY Covid test.......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

I gave up earlier after getting a 500 error - not one I had seen before.  Seriously peezed off with it currently.  NHN o-grams may be in short supply soon as a result, you'll be pleased to note.

Had a nice lunch out with Jayne and Mrs NHN, all the way down in Port Erin.  A friend is due round any moment for some archery tuition, setting his new bow up and some technique practice - we have a 'safe shot' down the garden with a substantial back-stop, old quilts and kingspan!  Private land to the rear also but nothing gets through that far unless Mrs NHN upgrades to a howitzer.

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

RMweb Seems to be working now at 14:41..

Afternoon Awl,

Electrics didn't take long this morning, we now have heat, blowing in the bathroom. Even though this heater is on its low setting  it appears to put out more heat than the same rated old heater... I'll give it the full trial shortly when I go for a looooong soak in the bath, my undercarriage is aching.

Lathe is now in its new home, not quite fully fixed down yet as it might need adjustment.

It took some prising away from its old home, I moved it in 3 pieces, not the six it first arrived in.

While still apart, it was the opportunity to give it a good clean, grease and oil.

The motor and drive has had a test run, ok but I won't put a load on it till it's fully fixed down, a combination of bolts and screws are required.

All its tools were previously mounted on the wall behind and to the end.. the non motor end that is.. and they are now. No temptation to reach over a rotating chuck.

I've removed Ben's hiding place in the workshop, I make so much noise in there he won't stay in the workshop anyway..  this gives more storage.

I'm working on having an area for each set of tools to be stored. One has been allocated and occupied by sanders and expendables,

Below that will be the angle grinder and it's bits and pieces.

I think Ben's former space will be jigsaw and nano bade saw, disk saw, with manual saws as well and the rubbish bin beneath , it wasn't working being beneath my seat.

I'm now resting after Ben's long walk. Once this muggacoffee has gone it's time to test that heater.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I have been absent due to various issues, and also due to the now much debated outages on here, which have been going on intermittently now for up to a week - I won't give up on it, as I do like the banter and off railways chat on here, and anyway, I was one of the very first members of both RMWeb, and also ERs - I date back to the days of LisaP4 and the original Fat Controller, as well as many old ERs who are no longer with us.  Some just disappeared and we can only presume that they too are no longer with us.  In those days, ERs progressed by about four or five posts a day!

Anyway, for the first time since last Sunday, generic greetings are, as ever, on offer.

Had a few problems with the packing and boxing up - never seen so many banana boxes in one house - probably more in the back of Morrisons or in a banana warehouse, but hey, that's the way of the moving (sometime soon  never).  And the stress is getting to both of us.

Also there's been a few problems domestic, largely the washing machine, which seems to be taking longer and longer to complete its cycle, and seems to be having problems with balancing the load before each spin.  Today's final spin took over 40 minutes before it kicked into the spin part of the cycle  - should be 15 to 20 according to the user guide - and a phone call to Indesit elicited an estimated wait queue of 35 minutes.  I suspect that the machine has moved - would this be a possible cause, answers on a postcard (will be quicker than answers via this site at present).  The other is the microwave, which has gone dangerously rusty after about 2 years (out of guarantee, of course and I'm sure that rust would not be covered and would be put down to inadequate wiping).  We wanted the same make and model, as it's cheap and we know how to work it, so don't need to sit there for hours with the control panel and user guide in the other hand.  Well, this was a problem as Argos didn't have any in any colour and as it's an Argos brand, it wasn't avaible elsewhere.  Well they finally came in - increased in price from £49.99 when we bought the last one to £54.99 when we were searching for it the other week - now back in stock at £63.  Had to buy one as the old one is now getting dangerous.  And also the Argos website does not allow to to check and reserve now - only buy on a click, pay and collect basis.  Time to find a new supplier of domestic appliances, methinks

Regards to All

Stewart

This JUST arrived in my inbox - I know there's a couple of MLT fans among us ERs.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had to chase the foxes out of the back garden for the third time today. Its advisable to discourage them at this time of year as the vixens are looking for suitable dens. As delightful as fox cubs are they can pong a bit. There is a large number of foxes here at the moment. So much so that there's not enough food for them and as well as that many are suffering from mange. It looks as if the will have to be a cull before long.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

And then slowed down again, 

SWMBO has approved new light and heater in bathroom..

SWMBO is talking of getting a young friend for Ben,  off to look at the net again borders are between £500 to £1500.

Rough collies between £2000- £3000.

Ouch 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

A cold day spent mostly in the garage here in Puppershire.

I was asked if I could open out the bore on a component of a tyre fitting machine by a friend.   The bore in the very odd shaped object was about 26mm and needed to be 29mm.   Unfortunately the object has an arm which is longer than the bed clearance on the Myford so I had to mount it on the vertical slide, centre it and then contrive a boring tool to go in the chuck.   After a false start and a few problems relating to interrupted cuts (the bore has 4 threaded holes which emerge into the bore) we got there in the end.

I'll have to get back onto the telescopes polar alignment gizmo now.   Although unfortunately it looks like opportunities for star gawping will be severely lacking in the next few days :mad:

RMWeb still gives the impression of being broken to me.    Slow to load, the add attachments box just says "Loading ..." and the emoji box only half loads.      While we are on the subject of emojis am I the only one that thinks the selection presented is "comprehensively poor" - there's more than enough of them but 95% of them are as useful as a chocolate fire guard and the ones you actually might want are hard to track down.     Perhaps its me  ....

Anyway, I hope all those suffering or having a difficult time of it are OK and the SPTs are still on duty for BoD.

Alan

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, laurenceb said:

If I don't rate a post the odds are It's because a large black box has appeared saying that there is a problem rating this post and won't go away.

This message is usually the result of your second attempt to rate a post. When performance is poor and there is no apparent response to clicking on the rate post button, it is easy to inadvertently click twice. In this case, your first rating might (or might not) get registered and the second inadvertent click pops up the "there is a problem rating this post" box. I can't count how many times I have seen this.

While page loading certainly can be dependent on waiting for third-party websites to load content (including, potentially, timeout errors), most of the comments about performance today are directly related to the RMweb site itself, rather than the advertising.

Things like rating posts, opening the emoji dialogue button, are all core javascript functionality of the editor in the website software and are independent of advertising which is fairly static once the page is loaded and the video popup is closed.

As of 8:00pm GMT the site appears to be working nominally - not at top speed but completing tasks.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 45156 said:

Also there's been a few problems domestic, largely the washing machine, which seems to be taking longer and longer to complete its cycle, and seems to be having problems with balancing the load before each spin.  Today's final spin took over 40 minutes before it kicked into the spin part of the cycle  - should be 15 to 20 according to the user guide - and a phone call to Indesit elicited an estimated wait queue of 35 minutes.  I suspect that the machine has moved - would this be a possible cause, answers on a postcard (will be quicker than answers via this site at present). 

Assuming the machine isn't (a) wiggly and rocking on the floor, and (b) it isn't a single, large item of washing (such as a large bath towel) being washed then if the drum is bouncing all over the place I'd guess at a busted drum mounting spring or maybe a duff drum mounting damper (both these items are external to the drum - the springs at the top and the dampers at the bottom - or at least were on my old Bosch machine).  Both should be cheap and a pretty easy fix.

Last option would be whatever electronics there are to detect the actual vibration - sensors etc.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

SWMBO is talking of getting a young friend for Ben,  off to look at the net again borders are between £500 to £1500.

Rough collies between £2000- £3000.

Ouch 

Will Ben be a happy doggie at this possible plan?  I'm guessing such breeds - and younger ones - are in short supply at rescue centres?

In other news......

Bear tested negative :yahoo: - and large pink pills seem to have chased the headache away for the moment....

A quiet afternoon - some box watching, some snoozing, some fighting with RMWeb....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

BBC TV programme about skiing - the only skiing we get really!

Thank you. I am watching an NFL playoff game despite bright sunshine and blue skies, though it is only 5°C. I did walk this morning. It was difficult to judge the right clothing. It warmed up about 4°C in the hour I was walking.

After today there are only three games left in the NFL post-season.

Your mention of televised skiing made me think of the NBC broadcasting network (who have spent $Bs to broadcast Olympics for several Olympiads yet) and are not sending commentators to China for the Beijing winter Olympics. It will all be done from a studio in Connecticut, much like presentation of the Australian Open tennis is here. (Having said that, it won't matter to me either way.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5