Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Wind is picking up, storm Malik is heading our way. Still no appetite since my recent bout of lurgy (not the lurgy I Hasten to add) but I started getting pains in my groin but by eating something the pains disappeared. Now that I've eaten something I need something to wash it down so kettle is on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Seems we have 66 mph(note not kilometres per ..........what ever is the metric equivalent of an hour lol) 

Well, I guess the nearest equivalent would have been the attempts at decimal timekeeping, as proposed during the French Revolution and actually used between late 1793 and 1795. In this system with ten hours to the day, 100 minutes to the hour and 100 seconds to the minute, noon would have been at 5.00 hours, midnight at 10.00 hours, and times in between could have been expressed as 2.74.30 decimal hours for 6.35 standard hours, for example! :keeporder:

Edited by NGT6 1315
Skipped a word!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Owltrol is highly thought of in the sailing fraternity, especially in the warmer bits of the USA if painting in summer. Yours true here at just above 5C, its not needed.

Thanks Q - does 10% sound a good starter for ten?

In other news.......

@Grizz is back!!! :yahoo:

Well the Artex has been fixed - so far it seems to warrant a :smile_mini2: ; as to whether or not this can be upgraded to a full-blown :yahoo: will have to wait until the ceiling has been painted.....

Apart from that it's been a morning (plus a bit) of researching/thinking about/buying bits for the Great Lounge Refurb.  I *may* start on wall fettling/sanding/filling any little gremlins etc. tomorrow.  If I feel like it, which is highly debateable cos' it's an A55hole of a job.

Perhaps the lads (and ladies) on ER would like to come and assist - I know I can count on you not to let me down.  Lads?  Lads.......?

OK, looks like I'll just have to eat all the cake single-handed then......

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Afternoon all 

We have been busy rearranging the garage.

I have put up a shelf over the workbench that is now a charger station for my drill and my new worklamp from Ikea is attatched

I have also used some shelving brackets to make a timber rack on the opposite wall so I don't have to walk over it all.

The shelf brackets have been waiting 10 years to be used I bought a bagfulfrom the bargain corner in Ikea for a quid thinking they would come in handy for something and eventually they have

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have also used some shelving brackets to make a timber rack on the opposite wall so I don't have to walk over it all.

The shelf brackets have been waiting 10 years to be used I bought a bagfulfrom the bargain corner in Ikea for a quid thinking they would come in handy for something and eventually they have

Shelving has been a keyword that popped up in my mind earlier, too. We have a number of stainless steel shelf components (it's a modular system which actually my parents had bought way back when we still lived in Ye Olde Countrie) which I didn't need for the section I assembled on the first floor landing. However, I might make use of the remaining components in the basement, as it's really good quality and very sturdy.

The downside is that the bag of yet-unused fittings for this shelf has apparently gone into hiding. I could, of course, devise an alternative way of installing the shelf floors (metal grids, really) using wall mountings from the home supply store, but I guess I'll be performing another search anyway.

Though I also just found out that the producer is actually still around and selling fitting kits separately, so that's a relief! You may have heard about them, actually: https://www.baltonshop.com/de/eur

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

...snip... Also on the related theme of engineering Limits & Fits the expression it fit's like a Sharp pain* In A Bucket is often used to describe a particularly loose fit. ...snip...

* A single, more descriptive word should be substituted here.  

Clam?

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Clam?

No,  substitute one word for the two words “sharp pain” (a thesaurus may be useful) :)

Nurses used to say this word when giving injections although now a days they seem to prefer to say “You’ll just feel a small scratch”.  I wonder why?:scratchhead:

Edited by PupCam
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Ben's not interested in going out either. But it's not the wind, but the pheasant massacre is very close, and was running right up to sunset..

If I remember, I'll mention Stuey to one of my compatriots in my MRC bubble. He was a regular volunteer guard on the Bure Valley Railway, till last year.

I can hear the BVR whistles while I'm sailing in Horning.

I've watched a model helicopter fly in at Coltishall, while I lived there.

Storm Corrie is on its way for Sunday night Monday, again hitting the north of Scotland with 80mph wide and us down in Norfolk with 60mph winds.

Yes 10% owltrol seems a good starting point if your paint is too sticky on the brush.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

I'd love to help you out Bear but I'm washing my hair that day ..... 

Hair??

:rofl:

Incidentally, Bear did try a substitute for the pukka Artex stippling tool - a hair brush with plastic prongs.  Whilst it did work to a degree it didn't produce the correct "stipple" pattern.

"No, that's no dandruff....it's Artex........." :laugh:

The afternoon was taken up by watching a film via the fire stick, followed by a new battery** into the watch and then some work on the college project (a dividing head attachment for the Taig Lathe.

** The battery was from Poundland - one of those Hyundai multipacks of various batteries, most of which are of absolutely no use and will end up in the bin.  A note scribbled on the pack tells me the last battery lasted about 6 weeks short of 2 years, so a fair deal; it sure as hell beats the exorbitant charges of a Jewellers Shop

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

No,  substitute one word for the two words “sharp pain” (a thesaurus may be useful) :)

Nurses used to say this word when giving injections although now a days they seem to prefer to say “You’ll just feel a small scratch”.  I wonder why?:scratchhead:

Just for my own amusement I thought I'd see what the Thesaurus had to say ....

image.png.9a2adf2432f4c1115abb79807d7120ac.png

I'm sorry but "Spasm in a bucket"  just made me laugh out loud   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enough already!

• Funny 13

Re: "Malik". 

It took me a couple of references in context for me to cotton on that this was some kind of named storm.

No storms here. Even a system that was supposed to bring a little rain tomorrow is breaking up and we might see a little drizzle interrupting our very unseasonal, brilliant sunshine. Blue skies prevail again today.

The same cannot be said of the US east coast where a nor'easter threatens to drop as much as 30" of snow on Cape Cod. Of course Florida being what it is, isolated iguana showers are forecast - the 'lizard blizzard' as some have punned. 

This is a thing apparently. Iguanas live in the palm trees. Their metabolisms slow down in cold weather and if it is cold enough they fall out of the palm trees.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Quick question based on personal observations……

When a storm rolls in, why the hell is it always windier when it arrives at night? I’m sure that the worst storms I’ve ever experienced have been at night…or are they just louder at night. Or does it just seem that way because generally houses, surrounding roads etc etc are quieter at night? 

At this point I should like to quantify the above by stating that I have had several quite exquisite beers this evening and could in fact be talking complete and utter spheres!!!

Kindest Regards to all….Grizz

35 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

@Grizz I think it's because its quieter at night 

I seem to recall reading that winds are created by differences in air pressure. Air will naturally flow from areas of high pressure to those of low. That is why high winds are associated with low pressure areas. Temperature also plays a part, a drop in temperature in an area of low pressure will cause that air to sink leaving more space for more air to fill and that air comes in the form of more and stronger winds. As night time temperatures drop so does the air making many storms stronger. That is why the winds seem to drop off come morning. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

For those who are interested in the great PNW, and they must be legion.

As Michael writes "No storms here. Even a system that was supposed to bring a little rain tomorrow is breaking up and we might see a little drizzle interrupting our very unseasonal, brilliant sunshine. Blue skies prevail again today." 

It has indeed been a longish, dry spell so far for January; the car is extra dirty which is a rarity so off to the car wash which will ensure the weather will change for the worse.

All the government problems have not halted GHs quest for more roundabouts.  These are not the kind familiar in the UK and elsewhere, but little circles that busses and trucks have trouble maneuvering around.  They keep popping up and three more have just sprung up.  In such profusion, the biggest problem is that some still don't give any turn signals leaving you waiting while the opportunity to merge slips by!

This has been brought to my attention as I have started driving again after hip surgery and a prolonged rehab.  Its been a while now but theres still more to come but at least its a start!   Another year and and another tax valuation but at least the house is appreciating nicely.  The taxes are supposed to improve roads but all we get are roundabouts while traffic gets worse.

All I have to do now is to be able to be able to run the trains - I still can't get down and get under!:o

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Like pushing a sausage up Briggate was the Leeds version. Briggate being quite a wide shopping street.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10