RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report but RMW appears to be OK at the moment. Just had to chase the foxes out of the garden interrupting their love making. Over the next few weeks I will have to stop the vixens from making any dens. Loveable as fox cubs can be they can make an almighty pong. Time for lunch, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Regarding: "pecorincino", I'm guessing this is what is called pepperoncini here in the US (actually friggitelli).

It was my spelling. What I meant was what iD referred to as spaghetti olio, aglio e peperoncino although I've only ever seen the garlic placed before the oil in the name.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Why do some veggies have a downer on cheese?  Isn't the farmer actually doing Mrs. Cow a favour by feeding, caring for and milking her?

Bear uses chilli flakes for DIY chilli oil.  Great for giving the pizza or pasta dishes that certain "kick"....

The 'uphill both ways' was because the route from home went up a hill, then descended before emerging onto the road where the school was. So coming home also had a significant uphill.

For cheese - some of it uses rennet, which is what is off-limits for true vegetarians.

I used to have some chilli flakes, but (like everything else in recent years) couldn't get any when I had used them all up, so got the dried chillies.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Caloo Calay - at long last, my mortgage offer has been corrected and issued for the fourth time - the one we got last evening still had a major error how the hell can a major lender get the address of the property that they are taking as security wrong? 

Now that could have some real benefits - you stop paying the mortgage and someone else gets their house re-possessed....:laugh:

21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

......so back to the path dodging dog muck, if I find the person who bags it then leaves the bag on the path, I may just make them eat it

We'll be most disappointed if you don't video the event as it happens.  Bear predicts it'll be a Youtube sensation.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Ooooh yeeeessss. 
My delivery has arrived. 

Direct from a tiny 15th Century stone outbuilding behind the Blue Anchor pub in Helston which has arguably the longest unbroken history of brewing its own ales in the UK. 

Not the everyday “Middle” either but the potent “Special” at 6.6% ABV.  Puts hairs on your chest, this stuff. Which may be why I have a few :jester:

I shall enjoy one of these later. I’ll be back dreckly for more. 

76DE9D3D-FC5B-4B10-A64B-FE95F0D57230.jpeg.bf8d89a3055ae422f8bf18bc0916861b.jpeg

Visited the pub about 40 years ago. I don't think they did bottles back then.

The draught beer came with about 10mm layer of yeast in the bottom of the glass.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I looked at the same osb board in our local Wickes and I have decided to use that for mine although it comes out at £17ish compared to the £14ish of chipboard its lighter and according to the sheet of paper tgat was in the pack it can hold more weight even though its 3mm thinner

The Wickes osb board that I got is 18mm x. 300mm x 1220. £17 per pack of three. No other choice really as I am not going to shops. The osb makes the house smell like a forest in Austria! We once bought some pine woodshaving stuffed cushions from a farmers market in Austria. The seller said if they lost their smell we should just put them in a sauna for a while. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

For cheese - some of it uses rennet, which is what is off-limits for true vegetarians.

Also for some the slaughter of the male calves that are produced when the milk cows produce young is also an objection.. All sorts of milk substitutes get fed to the remaining calves so milk can be produced in quantity for humans. 
I asked Aditi’s Dad what happened to the male calves in Hindu culture. He said they were not slaughtered but kept as draught animals. Aditi’s Mum’s family kept a buffalo for milk instead of a cow but at one stage had specially purchased a brown cow which was thought better for one of her sisters health.  

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

some later point to provide a few details/pictures.

That will be great. I was going to ask about one of your Facebook photos but couldn’t find it again. You were visiting somewhere and included a photo of a rare wolf. Was that a stuffed exhibit in a museum or a live one in an animal park? It looked quite alive!
Welcome back.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Those pesky foxes are at it again, but at least this time it was a quickie, about ten minutes tops. Will have to collect my new glasses tomorrow, two pairs virtually identical. My old ones are still doing their job, there has been little change in the prescription for years but the frames are getting very loose so they have to be replaced.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Ooooh yeeeessss. 
My delivery has arrived. 

Direct from a tiny 15th Century stone outbuilding behind the Blue Anchor pub in Helston which has arguably the longest unbroken history of brewing its own ales in the UK. 

Not the everyday “Middle” either but the potent “Special” at 6.6% ABV.  Puts hairs on your chest, this stuff. Which may be why I have a few :jester:

I shall enjoy one of these later. I’ll be back dreckly for more. 

76DE9D3D-FC5B-4B10-A64B-FE95F0D57230.jpeg.bf8d89a3055ae422f8bf18bc0916861b.jpeg

I'm, jealous, very jealous indeed. It's been a long time since I've had one of those. They didn't sell it in bottles last time I was there, but, if you took you own in they would fill it for you, so I took a few with me! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

I'm BBBBAAACCKKK :) ...snip... For now, here's something fun and of interest to most here I'm sure ;) ;

...snip...

Onward...

BTW, my "applause" rating is for the train ride, nothing else.  I find multi-subject posts hard to rate so I usually rate the part that I like the best, or IMNSHO is the most significant. Based on your video, I would like to ride the VVR if I ever get out that way.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a punctuation error.
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Collingwood never win either but at least Carlton fans have more than one tooth! St. Kilda, on the other hand, celebrate a spike in the local birth rate nine months after every win

I have a story that contains both those teams! (and both won enough games once to play each other in a Grand Final...) Are you comfortable then I shall begin. 

Whenever US software experts come over we take them to a few standard Australian style experiences -patting the kangaroos at the Euroka camp ground  down the road from work, a hamburger with beetroot in it and a Rugby League or AFL game.  

One time two (both ex Marines) came over and we took them to a Sydney Vs St Kilda game at the SCG.  After explaining the rules (kick it between the two big posts and don't get caught with the ball) they were set.

One guy watched with an air off bafflement for the whole game at lack of protective clothing  but the other one had an epiphany. It was like he'd found God after a life in the wilderness.

He couldnt believe this game existed without him being aware of it and his whole life before was wasted because there hadnt been AFL in it.

He returned to the US with armfuls of St Kilda merch, (he chose  St Kilda because he preferred their colours to Sydney)  and started a US chapter of the St Kilda fan club. Got involved in spreading the AFL message  among the unconverted US like a missionary amongst the heathens and convinced enough curious people that he got a small comp going. 

He still keeps in touch with us, and he returns here every year for the St Kilda preliminary game and has been devastated by the Covid retrictions stopping him for the last two seasons.

He returned here for the 2010 final  - St Kilda against Collingwood and got to go twice since the first game was a draw so he extended his stay so he could attend the replay a week later. 

And as a fairytale ending to the story he appeared in a crowd scene on the TV coverage of the first grand  final after Brendan Goddards mark that put St Kilda ahead briefly. He is the guy in beard and sunnies the camera sweeps past at the 26 second mark. Of all the 100,016 spectators there it was a miracle he got on the telly and now immortalised on youtube  and he still talks about it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, BoD said:

the new Highway Code rules.

Old or new the Highway Code, which is not itself law but interprets and is supported by the many laws pertaining to road use, requires that drivers of all vehicles SHALL STOP when persons are waiting to use a marked pedestrian crossing unless there are lights to indicate that vehicle traffic may proceed or otherwise directed by a constable in uniform.  

That covers all kinds of crossings from the now less-common Zebra and its even less common (and widely misunderstood) cousin the Toucan and other variants through to complex intersections where several roads meet and where a pedestrian phase is normally incorporated into the traffic lights.  

"All vehicles" includes pedal cycles, unpowered scooters, powered cycles and powered carriages of any kind when using the roadway and would if updated probably also include skateboards and powered scooters if in the road.

Permitted exemptions include emergency service vehicles travelling under blue lights and sirens and any vehicle which is so close to a crossing that to stop and permit pedestrians to cross would be likely to cause a road traffic accident.  Basically you can still go if a light turns yellow right in front of you but the onus in upon you to check the footpath when approaching Zebra and other "uncontrolled" crossings; if someone steps into the road to cross from the footpath they have right of way no ifs or buts.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just had to chase the foxes out of the garden interrupting their love making

Oooooohhhh my ears :O  Not something we look forward to.  Soooooo noisy and such an awful sound.  They're worse than drunken students in the car park at 3am :jester: 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The foxes are quiet now, they've either finished or gone elsewhere. Their favourite place for a den seems to be old rotten tree stumps which the vixens dig out. I had a couple in the garden but I filled them with broken tiles and they didn't come back. Now to tackle Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

That was a pair in an enclosure at Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum . Hardly a "museum" we decided as it's really an outdoor exhibit collection with walking and hiking trails, some paved some unpaved/gravel. The unpaved are further out into the desert and you're quite likely to see coyotes, javelinas (a wild pig/boar) as well as anything that flies and crawls - if you're lucky.

We visited that place in 2013 and found it very interesting. Apart from the ‘exhibits’ you describe, the humming bird enclosure was fun - being ‘buzzed’ by several of them. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1