The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Just as I was getting in the car this morning I had a text message from Vickie, saying that Ian is going to the tip today and will pick up the rubbish I’ve got ready for a tip run as well.So as soon as I’d finished cleaning out the washing machine dispenser I, put on my overalls and moved all my rubbish from the back garden to the front gate, ready for when Ian called. As he was calling this morning, I didn’t start moving the Christmas decorations until he’d called. Luckily, he came within about 20 minutes of me finishing. I was initially going to help him unload the tip, but Charlie was in the vans passenger seat, so I assistance wasn’t required. So after a quick chat, they set off and I made myself a muggertea and headed off to the cellar and moved the Christmas decorations and all the other clutter into the storage area and all was still done before dinner! 

After dinner I carried on sanding and filling the walls, (yes Pb, they are the very same walls plastered last year by my SIL Ian) there weren’t really too bad, but as I’m going to paint the walls a ‘SKY’ colour for the layout, I do want a nice finish. I’m giving some serious thought to using lining paper for the task, I have plenty in stock as I use it regularly for my decorating. I think I’m about 60% - 70% of the way there now and I think should have it all done by the end of the week. 

I don’t think I must dream much at all, but if I do, then I don’t remember them, thankfully I definitely don’t have bad dreams though.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

1975 still sticks in many a craw down here

"Maintain your rage",  :)

... later revelations it seems Charles was the go-to -guy for Royal advice about the plan.

I wonder. The Bonnie Welsh Prince would have only been around 27 at the time. He certainly was a go-between and interacted directly with the Governor General. Hard to imagine mum didn't have the final word not to intervene.

Also, on 2 October 1975, Sir Martin Charteris* confirmed in a letter that Kerr had discussed with Prince Charles the possibility that Whitlam could ask the Queen to dismiss Kerr.

* HM the Q's private secretary.

... the referendum would almost certainly have passed given the majority support for it at the time. The passing  of the Queen would have been a good point to break ties since we'd have to change all the stationery, stamps and so on anyway. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgent republican (small r) movement when the time comes. It would of course depend on a relevant parliamentary majority to propose anything remotely likely to pass.

Interestingly, the most popular royal down here remains Harry, even though he isn't one any more.

Unsurprisingly. I see that the Duchess of Cambridge is now the patron of English Rugby.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
link
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As to vag in thevUS of A.  

Jamie

Now this topic could become very controversial...and get closed down quite quickly! Perhaps a new topic "On Pussies"?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Funny 12

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I tend to avoid choosing fish as an option. I don’t eat duck very often at home ...

I think I've eaten duck at home only once (and I wasn't the chef de cuisine). I am very partial to duck. There are many applications of duck confit in particular, some of which are very inventive. Perhaps more goose than duck, but I did try fois gras once. It was delicious but I will likely never do it again from combination of understanding the gavage process (which feels brutal) and the fact that I had a bad night of gastric reaction to the 'richness' of fois gras. 

I do like fish and have rarely met fish I didn't enjoy - unless they were farm raised in a terrestrial tank.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I once found a Brown Brothers which seemed to have a squeeze of just about every red grape in it

Aussie winemakers are great about red blends. They are not as hung up about single varietals or famous combinations (like Cabernet-Sauvignon) as traditional European or American vintners.

In particular the Aussie trinity Grenache-Shiraz/Syrah-Mourvedre (originally from the Rhône) can be terrific.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I seldom drink wine and cannot recall when I last ate duck.  I ought to eat more fish than I do and I am on the lookout for a decent book on how to cook it.  When I do eat out, more often than not it is in a Wetherspoons.  On Sunday next I will need to find somewhere on the A1 south of Doncaster where a decent full English may be had but I seem to recall that eating places on the Great North Road are few and far between.  Wish me luck.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 19

9 hours ago, brianusa said:

….some of the worlds best food here and abroad from 'hamburgers and 'chips wiv everything'  to fine dining establishments world wide.  Incidentally, some in London are the best IMHO…

I definitely agree, of course you can eat very well elsewhere (especially in Italy, France, Spain), but London is probably the best place in Europe for eating out - in regards to variety, quality and authenticity (if you want to eat authentic Peruvian nose-flute musicians’ food? Then outside of Peru, London is the place to get it)

But outside of London? With a few honourable exceptions, the microwave and deep-fat fryer reign supreme….

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

…..I have seldom enjoyed the luxury of a true "fine wine" but can tell the difference between Plonk de Table and Vin Pretty Good.  I also enjoy finding the occasional surprise among the budget wines I tend to indulge in for personal enjoyment….

Unfortunately, I have had neither the time nor the wherewithal to learn how to discern the difference between a good wine and a very good wine.

As for budget discoveries - my best ever was the “Elvis Presley Wine” - which I found in a local wine shop when I was a grad student. At $1.00 a bottle I gave it a try. It turned out to be a very acceptable Pinot Grigio. The next day, I returned to the shop, purchased the remaining bottles (about 3 cases worth) - which spent the next few days in the bath having the garish Elvis Presley labels soaked off…

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

….If we are entertaining - remember that? ;)  -  then I'll trade up to around £15 / bottle and for a really special occasion or gift it's £25 / bottle.   At one level I can't help thinking that at the better end of everyday wines £40 for a bottle equates to around £10 a glass or possibly £1 a sip.  

Good Lord, I need to introduce you to my Vintner PDQ. We buy directly from an Italian cooperative and we average about SFr 15/bottle for very good wine indeed.

The most we have ever spent, per bottle, at the cooperative was SFr 25 and that was for an exceptional, prize winning, red.

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As to vag in thevUS of A. 

My dear James, you really do need to rein-in your spell checker.

Either that, or you’ve had one too many local brandies and you’re on the wrong forum :sarcastichand:

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

…..I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgent republican (small r) movement when the time comes. It would of course depend on a relevant parliamentary majority to propose anything remotely likely to pass.

From various reports and articles I’ve seen, it looks like the future king plans to streamline the monarchy. A Dutch or Danish style monarchy may very well be appropriate for modern Britain. The crown has survived all these centuries by being flexible and adaptable - unlike some other European monarchies who - quite literally - ended up on the chopping block. I see no reason why the British monarchy won’t adapt to a 21st Century, post-pandemic Britain.

On that regal note, I now have to prepare her ladyship’s breakfast chicken…

Enjoy Tuesday!

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Looked nice to me though I thought that course was fish. (It surprises me that it was duck.)

It's easy to avoid the diner/'bar and grill' chains if you know where to look.

Well spotted.. it was smoked trout fillets.. holidaying fingergepockingitis at large.  It was very nice.. 

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Just how much extra did you pay for the sea view dear?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Off to the Marie Celeste for my dianetic foot tickling. (They forgot when I delivered Drac a load of blood). Could be interesting to see if anything is happening about my medication (I doubt it!)

I will see @chrisfat Donnie as I am there playing trains this weekend.

Time to..get ready to walk to the Marie Celeste.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The crown has survived all these centuries by being flexible and adaptable - unlike some other European monarchies who - quite literally - ended up on the chopping block. 

Yes it's now about 400 years since a previous Charles met that fate.  Mind you when Charles 2 returned the surviving  Regicides had a rather short lifespan.

Good moaning from the Chatente.  We generally have a glass of red with our tea most nights and slightly more when friends are here.  Usually it's the local Merlot at €2.10 per litre from the wine box. Bottles tend to come from Noz a local pound type store.  They sell all sorts of remaindered bottles and we have had some lovely wone from them. We know them generically as Chateau Noz.  Several of our neighbours use the same source.

We also eat duck, usually about once a week.  It's almost a by product of the foie gras industry so is very reasonably priced.  It goes down rather nicely.  

Anyway, time to get the Hens up then it's off to get my flowing locks trimmed by Veronique. The supermarket will also be raided.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and mainly cloudy with a hint of brighter sky in the East.  Very mild at 10°C.

King Charles/George? Why not and why should he step aside?  Queen (Consort) Camilla?  Fine by me.  Don't think it's going to change my life.

Red wine with my evening meal is the norm here and I do have a liking for Aussie wines although other nations are allowed, even the French!  :yes:  I usually spend anything from £5 to £15 a bottle but recently was given a  Lidl red to try by a friend that only cost £3.49 and it was surprisingly good. 

Tea has been made for The Boss and I expect that she is now trying to think of some way to get me to "do something."

The only "something" I'm planning to "do" is wait for a parcel that is due between 9.30 and 12.30, unwrap it, inspect it and then play with it.  :locomotive:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a dream-free rock.  The rock itself is damp but 9c, NHN dryer and warmer.

Jamie's spull chicker is the cause of spilled coffee......:O

No idea yet what the day will bring, but application of the duster is likely.  Using the log burner intensively currently causes a lot of it, sort of grey dust fall-out on Chernobyl levels.  

Plenty decent eateries on the rock, but at a price.  Anything imported is at a premium of course, but it is quite possible to eat very well indeed using only local produce, much of which is very high quality.  Of course if your digestive tract can take them, the kippers are top notch, as Brighton Belle passengers made clear to BR all those years ago.  

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

On Sunday next I will need to find somewhere on the A1 south of Doncaster where a decent full English may be had but I seem to recall that eating places on the Great North Road are few and far between.  Wish me luck.

Chris

Sadly the days of Little Thief and Happy Excretia are long gone.  As for finding any form of proper Transport Cafe (not a Burger Van) along the A1 - let alone a decent one - are about on par with finding Rocking Horse Sh1t on Mars.....

In other news.....

Bear has a Bearmobile to wash - an activity that doesn't rate very highly on Bear's "Fun" spectrum at all.  Feels great when it's done though....

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well she's come up with "something" for me to "do" so I'm heading to the kitchen to prepare some soft boiled eggs and soldiers for our breakfast.  If that's the worst that happens today I can cope!  Makes a change from my normal weekday porridge as well. :D

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning, bright blue skies and sunshine, walks will be taken later, other than that, not much happening up here, sun is rising earlier each day and the birds seem to be thinking of nesting, not too sure winter has done yet though. Stay safe and well all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

It's still dull and still here, outside is much the same!  Mot much inspiration to get on with things, but the lack of wind should make the garage/layout room/workshop more habitable so will wander down there.  'Dreckly', as Gwiwer would say.  'Eventually' say the rest of us!

Might go for a walk first, just off the look at the rainfall radar to see if the window of opportunity is adequately long.

• Like 18