The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, PupCam said:

The operative word in my statement was IF, the statement was of course completely hypothetical!  :D

Anyway, hasn't The Bear got a   MODEL RAILWAY   to build?   :taunt:

He has a model railway??!!:fan:

And I thought he was only here to share his life affirming experiences with cake and “Changing Rooms“ DIY :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

12 hours ago, polybear said:

…For your budget the choice is somewhat limited (based on Screwfix & Toolstation prices); Einhell do both Table and Bandsaw options and are German, so stand a fair chance of being available in Switzerland.  I've not read the reviews, just looked at the star ratings.  It's worth bearing in mind that people are far more likely to leave a bitchy review if they're p1ssed off that they are to leave a good review if they're a happy Bunny, which naturally slews reviews in the negative direction.

https://www.toolstation.com/power-tools/saws/c722

HTH

Bear

My budget is certainly far less than what I can actually stretch to, but I always limit the amount I spend on tools that I want to try out,

I don’t think it is wise to spend a lot of money getting a top of the line piece of kit that I end up using only once or twice a month or less. By buying a budget model, I can find out what my actual use is and then upgrade to a top quality model if usage is more than occasional.

I understand that in the UK and in the US it is possible to rent heavy equipment on an as needed basis, this is relatively unknown in Switzerland. although there does seem to be a movement, on environmental grounds, to just that. That would certainly be the preferred option, in the absence of which buying a budget item to test out is probably the next best thing (especially as nowadays the cost of a budget item is probably equal to, if not less than, rental).

Apparently, Einhell make the machinery for Lidl that Lidl sells as the Parkside range and the Parkside range is -  overall - considered to be quite adequate. Einhell, Metabo, Scheppach, Makita and De Walt can all be acquired in Switzerland, although choice of available models is limited (as always seems to be the case in Switzerland).

So now I am left facing a choice: do I buy on line - which will provide a wider range of equipment in my selected price range to choose from - or do I buy locally - with a more limited range but an easier “go back and bitch loudly” option (prices, at least at this level, are pretty comparable).

Thanks for taking the time for providing your informed insight my Dear Bear - in the absence of a 3-D food printer a virtual crate of LDC is winging its way to you :D

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, PupCam said:

I regularly have trouble with a poor performing PC (Desk Top).  In it's defence I'll add that it's pretty old, but I don't think being old is the cause of the problem per se….

I doubt that it’s the hardware - sounds like a software issue.

As I was clearing and reorganising my workshop in the cellar, I came across the user manual for the old DELL desktop tower that now resides in the cellar workshop as the workshop PC. I knew the machine was old, but I hadn’t realised how old: I got it in 2003!

A number of years ago, a friend of mine who is somewhat of a LINUX aficionado stripped the machine back to the BIOS and installed LINUX and the machine has been working flawlessly since then. Unfortunately, I’m a bit clueless when it comes to LINUX and so depend on my friend for the occasional LINUX upgrade and new hardware installation.

Even back when I bought the Dell desktop in 2003, Microsoft Windows was known as “bloatware” by computer geeks, I doubt if it’s any better nowadays.

• Like 16

Greetings all from a cloudy drizzly but not yet too windy Sidcup.

up before the rest of the house for Ocado who were on time - but for some reason none of the changes I made on Wednesday have been taken into account- so the rolled over bargain wine is no longer a bargain and the ingredients ordered for tomorrow’s tea are missing.

my preps for the storm we’re limited to moving the chairs off the decking and laying them in the lawn. Two were there anyway courtesy of Dudley.

have a good day all

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The wind (outside the house :rolleyes:) woke me at about 5.00 am and it's still gusting and quite wet.  Our weather warning here has changed from Amber to Red from 10.00 am so we're definitely not going anywhere.  Already had a warning from son Steve to stay put.  I did tell him I might be getting old but I'm not completely daft....yet!

Time for some breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning wild and windy here, not too windy about 40 mph, had a bit of snow, but now sleet again, many roads are closed, snow gates are expected to be closed on the high roads, but the main dual carrigeways(we don't have any motorways round here) are difficult to get through, Dundee to Aberdeen is chaos seemingly. Son in law went to work in Kirriemuir and they are closing the roads round there, so he might be stuck there for the night. Take care all and keep warm.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No need for a weather report this morning but the winds starting to pick up, someone must have told it about the red warning. Luckily I have a few spare roof tiles in store in case any are damaged. When the local authority/housing association reroofed their properties a few years ago I managed to cadge a few of the old tiles, fortunately I haven't had to use them yet. Apart from the usual morning reminder Arthur Itis has been quiet of late and long may it continue. Definitely staying in doors today.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PupCam said:

Blxxdy PC!    Perhaps it's time to replace it?

Whaaaaat??  Just think how how many Arduino's Puppers can get for the price of a new PC.  And a Fly Press.....

:laugh:

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Don’t know if anyone else is getting the same advert as me but Military 1st are offering some rather nice military spec flat caps. 

A Government Surplus Russian Army Flat Cap should raise a few eyebrows.....

10 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Purple is the highest warning level. I don’t envy sailors on the North Sea in particular!

Rumour has it that TheQ was last seen heading towards Holland at a hundred and twenty knots.  In a Coracle.....

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Do the students who don’t turn up or answer emails know?

It'll not stop them trying to claim a discount for loss of learning me thinks....

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

He has a model railway??!!:fan:

Er, well, <cough> a certain Bear may have a somewhat large collection of various locos and rolling stock (some RTR, some kit) plus some unassembled "Brilliant Baseboards" and other items too numerous to mention but as for, er, <cough> somewhere to actually run them <cough> well that's an issue that Puppers seems to remind a certain Bear of at regular intervals......

When the lounge and staircase refurbs are out of the way then Bear has no more excuses...

(I may squeeze in the resurrection and sale of a certain CB750 in there somewhere)

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And I thought he was only here to share his life affirming experiences with cake and “Changing Rooms“ DIY :laugh:

Changing Rooms??  CHANGING ROOMS??  Is that the one with Linda Barker and LLB going round f. up people's houses in a day?  I'd love a look round one of those rooms after it's been done - they usually look horrific on telly, I bet they're even worse in the flesh.

Bear would much rather be compared with Grand Designs.  I could live with that.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Wind has been increasing for some time but Eunice will not be at her peak here till 15:00 ish, I see all the TV companies are putting their reporters in harm's way.

I wonder what the risk assessment for such activities looks like - and how well it'd stand up in court in case of an insurance claim or prosecution?

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

When the time comes it'll take a big ladder, and two  long poles to push it back into place. Two because one needs to push the tile, the other needs to lift the tile above it to slide this one into place. They somewhat loosely lock into place, and about 1in 5 are nailed down.

Several years ago a neighbour lost a roof tile - when Bear went round to tell them (in case they were unaware) they said that it's being dealt with by the insurance company and the roofer was waiting for the scaffolding to be put up.  For one tile....

In other news.....

Bear up at silly o'clock (05-45 - but still a lot later than the 04-30 I used to get up when going to the Fun(?) House); medium Tesco raid carried out, blood letting done, letter posted, a minor Co-op raid, back home and all squeezed into cupboards by 09-05.  Result.

Now?  MIUAIGA methinks....

Bear Towers has been promoted to a red weather warning - starting now and lasting until 3pm apparently; the peak is at midday with gusts of 65mph.  I knew that mix of beans and sprouts was a mistake....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning 

It was absolutely belting down when I took Lucas to school he has even taken his ear defenders to school ready for Eunice showing up.

Sun shining here not much wind really. Wonder if we are in the eye of the storm

Sounds like a play doesnt it "Waiting for Eunice".

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well it seems that Lewis Hamilton has confirmed he'll be driving this year after all; the fact that Michael Masi was booted out as Race Director by the FIA just yesterday could of course be just a coincidence...

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3