The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We are all LED bulb now throughout the house. We do leave the middle floor light hallway light on for the kids if they get up in the night especially the eldest who would have to come upstairs to use the bathroom. 

We have stopped using the dishwasher so much now that I am at home it probably goes on once a week. Our washer is A rated. So is the fridge freezer. The radiators on the ground floor are turned on to the lowest setting its just hallway and kitchen 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My energy supplier hasn't yet upped the payments but I'm well in credit. In fact my account is in credit all year round. Last year I asked for and got a refund but this year because of the price increase but I will ask for only a small increase to match what I am using.

We are in credit too but the debit needs reducing as we are consuming very little electricity from the grid now. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Something that I didn’t mention early is that yesterday’s repairs to the lintel support are not up to standard, the builder has incorporated wooden beams into the support which obviously isn’t any good in the event of a fire.

I suspect Buildings Control would be (should be?) less than happy with that idea - do they still come and inspect critical bits?

33 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I realise that my woes are nothing in comparison to those of the people of Ukraine and like Natalie  feel sorry for ordinary Russians, tarred with the Putin brush and made to suffer.

Goodnight,

Robert

There must be many Russians who are less than impressed with what's going on - but have to be very wary about expressing it for fear of getting "a visit".  From what's reported on the news it's also pretty scary that many actually believe in Putin and that Ukraine is the Big Bad Wolf in all this.

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I have seen no post with any form of 'political' content , to me this would

have to be people saying that party X would do this while party Y did that

and party Z did nothing .

Agreed; many posts are submitted with no intended political angle whatsoever - but if you dig hard enough (or even just a little bit in some instances) then it's possible to interpret a post as being political.

Hmmm - is the above sentence political by any chance?  Bear's off for a lie down....

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Finally managed to extract a pine splinter, which came from the side of our chest of drawers, that I accidentally rammed up under the middle finger nail, whilst I was picking up my phone. After extracting the splinter I got a better look at it, it was roughly 6mm long x 1mm x 1mm .     :angry::angry::angry: Fudgefudgetyfudgefudgefudge that totally fudging hurt! Luckily when it went in it left 1.5mm sticking out…

Bear's suddenly feeling a bit queasy....

11 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Actually getting it out with my Stanley knife and the tweezers was the really fun bit. 

Barf.....:bo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Our energy supplier isn't doing fixed price deals except some bundles including various maintenance contracts at the moment. 

As things like halogen downlighters have failed the lamps have been replaced by LEDs so the whole house except for two places where traditional lamps are significantly better are low energy types.  

The heating is kept slightly low for most of the time, only being turned up if we feel cold. Little-used rooms tend to have the thermostatic valve set low but we do find that with the wind in particular directions some adjustments are needed. If you go to the top of the big hill behind us you can see all the way to Drax, in fact if you carried on for about 500 miles in the same direction the next big hill you hit is in Norway.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it seems that Mr. Abramovich may be a good guy (or there's hope for him) after all....

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich said he will sell the club - with the "net proceeds" going to benefit victims of the war in Ukraine.

The Russian billionaire, who took over in 2003, said money generated from his sale of the club will go to a foundation benefiting "all victims of the war in Ukraine".

It is not clear if his reference to "all victims" means just Ukrainians, or Russians as well.

But, he said it "includes providing critical funds towards the urgent and immediate needs of victims, as well as supporting the long-term work of recovery".

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've replaced all my light bulbs with LED's, I don't have a dryer and I rarely use the oven, its usually the grill, microwave or dry fryer. The dry fryer uses about the same amount of electricity as the micro as its fitted with a thermostat. And with a new boiler fitted only 18 months ago my energy consumption has almost halved.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We are all LED bulb now throughout the house. We do leave the middle floor light hallway light on for the kids if they get up in the night especially the eldest who would have to come upstairs to use the bathroom. 

We have stopped using the dishwasher so much now that I am at home it probably goes on once a week. Our washer is A rated. So is the fridge freezer. The radiators on the ground floor are turned on to the lowest setting its just hallway and kitchen 

We have forced air heating which uses natural gas and the thermostat set at 75F. Soon the weather will start  to warm and it will be turned down a bit.  Like many, we have changed out our bulbs and the bill comes to about just over $200 a month; which we can live with.  At our age its worth it!

Brian  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4