RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cut n' paste the text/whatever into a new file maybe?

Tried.  Failed.  But thanks.  Also tried reformatting to change margins etc.  No dice.  

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Tried.  Failed.  But thanks.  Also tried reformatting to change margins etc.  No dice.  

In that case a large axe can work wonders......

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

In that case a large axe can work wonders......

Not needed. 

I saved the .doc as a .pdf instead and magically it printed!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Not needed. 

I saved the .doc as a .pdf instead and magically it printed!

Thats happened to me, but how it happened is a mystery as I'm not sure how I got it to work.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats happened to me, but how it happened is a mystery as I'm not sure how I got it to work.

Native docs use installed fonts outside the document, Write on am Mac in Helvetica and print at work where the system doesn't have Helvetica and you'll get Times Nee Roman on your printout.

PDFs have fonts defined with the document.

The printer has only one thing to think about when printing PDFs.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Got the Tanglewood up - then the G word was uttered - this time it did mean Garden - it's small, but still a bit back breaking, as some of the plants which 30747 wants removed are quite deep rooted - and we both needed to do a of pulling.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 16

56 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I apologise for the aromatics drifting from the Hill of Strawberries.

Something has emerged from the rear of the cat which defies description but is some form of previously-unknown-to-science semi-liquid.  I'm not sure yet whether that area on the carpet will ever be clean again.  He's normally perfectly healthy and is a house cat.  So it's not something he has picked up from a fellow feline and we, to the best of our knowledge, are also in good health and not liable to pass anything on to him.  

We shall keep him under close watch for the next couple of days.  Meanwhile the windows are as open as the security fittings allow, the fans are all on and the air will clear eventually.  We hope!!!  

One possibility is that your cat may have a parasitic infection. Nematodes (the eggs) and Protozoa (the cysts) can often be found on grasses, in puddles and in other seemingly innocuous areas. But it also possible for an indoor pet to pick up a parasite - these usually come in via insects entering the house. Some common pests such as cockroaches can transmit some parasites and it is not out of the question that mosquitoes can find their way into the flat and they do carry parasites (although the risk IS low)

It might be an idea to call the vet for advice (and be prepared to collect a stool sample for analysis)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

One possibility is that your cat may have a parasitic infection. Nematodes (the eggs) and Protozoa (the cysts) can often be found on grasses, in puddles and in other seemingly innocuous areas. But it also possible for an indoor pet to pick up a parasite - these usually come in via insects entering the house. Some common pests such as cockroaches can transmit some parasites and it is not out of the question that mosquitoes can find their way into the flat and they do carry parasites (although the risk IS low)

It might be an idea to call the vet for advice (and be prepared to collect a stool sample for analysis)

We shall keep a close watch on him for 48 hours and if matters return to normal then we shall assume all is well and it was "just something passing through".  His manner is normal now as it has been all along - there is no crying or indication of pain or discomfort.  If he continues to produce highly aromatic material and other than in his tray then the vet shall be called on Moanday.  If there is a significant change for the worse then we can take him to Medivet at any time.  

Dr. SWMBO, who admits to being "noseblind" to feline urine, has reported there is no untoward smell in the room concerned now.  I might have done a good enough job of the clean-up at first attempt.  Foul and stomach-churning though it was.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Arternun awl,

Thankfully, in the past few days I have not had to wrestle with recalcitrant IT, boilers or gobby fowls. Or deal with decorating. However, despite supposed to be taking it easy, my blood pressure has been increased by DWP, the car playing silly *'s and the NHS. (Yet more very inaccurate 'advice' from the latter, leading to unpleasant consequences, not unlike Gwiwer's cat. Useless b'stewards...). And the weather has been more than a touch chilly, mainly due to the wind. Hail yesterday, with quarter-inch stones. Harrumph! (Or 'pah'...)

No further sign of JCBs on the fields or any earnest (possibly bearded) types wandering round with clipboards. (Yes, I stereotype, it's one of the few honest pleasures left to the prejudiced...). A few (grey) rabbits scurrying around, some entrances/exits to burrows have probably been disturbed. Fewer curlews flying around, I wonder if their nests have been smashed by the diggers? 

Some air taken earlier, a little gentle G-word activity done. A fair few hundred seeds sown, setting things up for a late summer show and next year. I've used as many bee-friendly/traditional english cottage garden types as possible. Toadflax is derided by many but it's pure catnip for bees and I think the flower is attractive anyway. If any ERs have a hankering for whitebells, PM me, I have plenty and have been thinning them out. Likewise ox-eye daisy and garlic mustard seeds. 

A little forbidden activity indulged in. Because of what's happened over the last few years, the house is rather full and just as I'm trying to sell things (furniture, books and muddling bits) to create some space, we have a dramatic cost of living increase and a marked reluctance of many folk to spend money on non-essentials. More 'pah'. Or 'turdycurses'. Anyway, time to reduce the height of the kit mountain, if only by a few %. 

20 young men going round in circles quickly watched earlier. 'Thanks' to the current TV deals, no need for an ER tomorrow and the necessary news moratorium until mid afternoon won't be an issue as there's some useful G-word stuff/air-taking to be done in the morning. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2022 at 17:18, PhilJ W said:

Before committing myself I have checked the ratings of the company, only one complaint, they couldn't fix his eight year old clapped out boiler straight away.

8 years old is not old for a boiler and especially not so at the price that they are.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

8 years old is not old for a boiler and especially not so at the price that they are.

Apparently it hadn't been serviced at all in that time and the owner didn't want to wait for the replacement parts. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good Afternoon all 

A few points 

Our original Potterton boiler failed miserably after about 9 years due to corrosion it was deemed irreparable.

That eBay listing for the caravan was a classic although not quite as funny as the Amazon review for hair removal cream.

Between sixth form and Uni I worked for a builder friend of my Dad one night me and my mates decided to hit the Southern Comfort. I was sick in the night but still went to work the next day we were concreting. I have never felt as bad in my life and have never touched southern comfort since I can't even stand the smell.

We have changed a light switch and swapped a single gang socket to a double gang usb socket. We have 2 more to change. 

We have tidied up a bit and took a load to the tip but it was full of the Easter Fit bunnies.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There was an attempted break in next door last night. About midnight I heard a loud banging next door, then it stopped but then started up again about five minutes later. I went to investigate, switching on the hall light before I opened the door but when I looked I couldn't see anything. This morning next doors front door and a window were damaged. I gave my details to the police and reported it to the local neighbourhood watch which elicited another witness who actually saw the two perpetrators, not that she will be able to identify them as it was too dark. They wouldn't have got much as the house is empty (its a buy to let). And they're not very smart trying to break a reinforced window with a lump hammer in the night, the whole estate must have heard them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Something has emerged from the rear of the cat which defies description but is some form of previously-unknown-to-science semi-liquid.  

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Not sure what Bear's having for Tea tonight, but it definitely won't be chocolate custard...🤮

Seriously though, I do hope kitty is ok. 

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There was an attempted break in next door last night. About midnight I heard a loud banging next door, then it stopped but then started up again about five minutes later. I went to investigate, switching on the hall light before I opened the door but when I looked I couldn't see anything. This morning next doors front door and a window were damaged. I gave my details to the police and reported it to the local neighbourhood watch which elicited another witness who actually saw the two perpetrators, not that she will be able to identify them as it was too dark. They wouldn't have got much as the house is empty (its a buy to let). And they're not very smart trying to break a reinforced window with a lump hammer in the night, the whole estate must have heard them.

Unless they were squatters trying to get in?

In other news.....

A bit more wallpapering done.  More tomorrow.

It seems that it's Grand National Day today, aka Cruelty to Gee-Gees.  Let's hope that all survive unscathed (edit: it seems that one died yesterday); 55 have died over the GN weekends since 2000 - with 6 of those in 2016 alone.  I'd never be a part of the works sweepstakes on principal.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

I may have mentioned it before but the Amazon review of Diabetic gummy bears, is very good read🤣

As to very thick ceilings, back in my school days one of my class mates went missing one day, and the next turned up looking like he'd had a very bad beating, black eyes etc.. he'd been asleep in bed when the entire 400 year old ceiling lath and plaster and centuries of whitewash / distemper / paint fell on him...

Been back from the show for some time..

On the way there one young lady in her fiat 500 managed to keep going when a blue light ambulance joined the round about. she should have stopped like I did, but instead of our right turn she did the 90 right plus a 360 round the about to miss the ambulance.

Arriving at the show there were road works at the site requiring a 120 left to get in the 90 degree turn to the entrance. This meant in the Landrover I had to go onto the other side of the carriage way completely to turn in.

On the way back every petrol station had huge queues out onto the main roads, causing some delays..

The show it's self was worth going but a slight disappointment, in that there were a few empty layout / trader spaces. There were no layouts in technical ability, I'd say were wow!!! But none I'd say were poor.

One layout I remember though, was a 35 mm to the foot, WW2 German diorama, a rail mounted cannon on a railway turntable gun raising and lowering, turntable operating. Various Ack-Ack guns turning. And.... A Fraya radar, sector scanning.. the turntable was just about the only railway item shown.

Attendance at the show was good.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having caught up on all the ERs since yesterday, i can now state that I just got back from a small train show; there went 123 tokens down the tube! But I did bring home small (less than OO/HO but way larger than N) a stationary display model of MALLARD. More later (maybe) on the Night Mail thread, that is if I do not get hit by a severe attack of the lazies!

I saved that ebay trailer description, it rivals one from about fifteen years ago.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have finally got round to checking my Euromillions ticket  its a winner   

Only £4.50 but it better than nowt just ready for the private jet ads

Thats £4:50 more than I won.😪

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have finally got round to checking my Euromillions ticket  its a winner   

Only £4.50 but it better than nowt just ready for the private jet ads

I managed a £6 win...ooh err!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Building a bomb shelter here would be expensive, the water table being just 3ft down in the winter. 

A pre-fabricated , in-ground tornado shelter would work. They are essentially a watertight capsule with a hatch.

You'd likely need some engineering (like a concrete slab) to prevent them from being buoyant in your water table.

This is a fancy one.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

We haven't had a good war to reduce the human race either, but that might change in the near future.

Google is being unhelpful for me but you'll find that those generally do very little to actual population numbers (the experience in places like the Soviet Union, Poland or the Dutch East Indies in the second world war excepted). Arguably the 'baby boom' was actually a consequence of WWII.

Plagues and famines have much more devastating effect.

For two contemporary events compare the ~20 million deaths in WW1 with ~50 million deaths in the 1918 H1N1 pandemic. Same global population, same time.

Even the genocidal monstrosities of the 20th century (Soviet gulags/Ukrainian famine/Holodomor, Chinese Cultural Revolution/Great Leap Forward, NSDAP holocaust etc) while monumentally and tragically awful, did little numerically to impact 20th century global population growth.

Six years of war resulted in the deaths of almost 1% of the British population in 1939. After two years of CoViD-19, around 0.26% of Britons have died from the disease.

An excess death (early death) does little to population growth if the deceased have earlier reproduced. Plagues and famines impact population growth more because of higher child mortality.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8