Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

On 16/04/2022 at 22:37, Erichill16 said:

Last time I was in Holland, a couple of years,  ago there was a convenience store in Utrecht station that only had self service tills and didn’t accept cash.

Sounds more like an Inconvenience store to Puppers.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

293155467_IMG_24521.JPG.4241e2e0c9f9df8627dd3ad765f27b8e.JPG

But Bear!   You've put the Dado Rail on upside down ......

In Other News

An excellent day to day with a fine 38 mile bimble on the AJ this morning including stopping off at the Dunstable Gliding Club's cafe for breakfast.    In respect of my weight and health I chose the "Half English Breakfast"   - all the components of their Full English, just less of them.    Good company and just as I was finishing my scoff a former colleague from the place known as "Hatfield", who I haven't seen since he left it 1986ish, turned up.   It was really good to catch-up with him again in person after all this time after we bumped in to each other on Faceache last year.

The Club looked idyllic this morning as some gliders, including an interesting gull-winged vintage job (Minimoa maybe?) were being prepped for a day's soaring.     Excuse the quality of the photograph, it was taken through the cafe window.

Alan

Img_6811.jpg.529459ee86b33300c908c45c7e330c8c.jpg

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today has mostly been spent outside, well up until about 4 o’clock, as that’s when I called it a day and came inside, got changed and sat down on the sofa with a muggertea. The weather has been glorious sunshine all day, not sure what the temperature got to, but it must have been in the high teens. There are signs that lots of the plants are starting to grow and the ground will soon be hard to see. The blossom on the apple tree is now starting to open and some of the early flowering shrubs are covered in buds, which will also soon open. It started to rain about 20 minutes ago, so that will give the garden a much needed drink. I’m hoping to spend the day in the workshop tomorrow, mostly tidying up and pottering about, but maybe a bit of modelling will get done as well. 

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Blame Tolkien for this. Near the end of The Hobbit (the book) Bilbo comes home to find the Sackville-Bagginses in his house. 

That was an unexpected item in the Baggins area.

Try getting this out of your head afterwards!

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Or Steptoe and Son.  Or Love Thy Neighbour

Sanford and Son (Redd Fox in the lead) was a US interpretation of Steptoe and Son, and All in the Family (Caroll O'Connor in the lead) was a US interpretation of Till Death Us Do Part. Both of these were adapted by Norman Lear and intentionally displayed bigotry (and many other topics then considered controversial) almost as a morality play. The US versions are, of course, *not* the same shows, and continue to be broadcast - particularly All in the Family.

There was also a 1973 US version of Love Thy Neighbor set in LA but was much toned down.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Try getting this out of your head afterwards!

No just no. I'm not foolish enough to click on that. It's not happening.

No singing by Leonard Nimoy, or William Shatner. Ever!

Having said that, may they🖖

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

My television contention is that when I was growing up the USofA had enough talent to provide competent prgramming for 3 networks every night.  They now have hundreds of networks and the same amount of talent.

We live near the "TriCities" of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge. We are the next city over. Cambridge is a Regional Municipality (I think) composed of quite a few small towns that have grown together. There used to be a folk festival in "beautiful downtown Cambridge" and we were never sure which one it was. 

Great childhood disappointments: getting a chocolate Easter egg that measured 5 or 6 inches and finding that it was hollow, not solid chocolate. Another one was the duckpond at a fair where I won a toothbrush.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There are probably many better things to do than spend a Sunday afternoon watching television.  I spotted two "Carry On ..." films so that was the day sorted.  They may not be the finest examples of cinematic art but they are good fun.  "Carry On Dick" I had seen many times before: imagine if you will the late Dame Barbara Windsor as a highway-person.  "Carry On Loving" was new to me, amazingly.  Thank you, ITV3.

There is not much to anticipate in the week ahead.  On Wednesday evening the conclave of Chilterns Area Group will once again be on line.  Gone are the days when those present would put the world to rights over a pint in a pub, at least for the time being.  On Friday night the Young'uns are in concert at The Stables and are truly a fine band.  Much of Sunday is due to be spent on the M5 as I plan to attend the gathering in Staplegrove Village Hall.  What of today?   A step into the garden, perhaps?  Expect nothing, gentle reader, and you will not be disappointed.

Chris 

• Like 16

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't know about "good stuff" but there is a ton of rebroadcasting of programming that was not made with any concern to cultural diversity.

Now that’s interesting.

The British popular press (and some of the Broadsheets) often have articles about British TV channels censoring or removing from broadcast programmes deemed “offensive” (they ran one piece about John Cleese getting extremely p****d off about an episode of Fawlty Towers being censored). Even the much loved Morecambe and Wise and Victoria Wood have become targets of the (self-appointed) modern, puritanical, guardians of morality…

Another disturbing aspect is how popular comedians of yesteryear are now self-flagellating in public, contrite over the programmes they once made (Matt Lucas and David Walliams from Little Britain being a notable example). This is the height of absurdity, given that so much of comedy (and humour) throughout history and now relied and relies on lampooning or attacking the social morés of the time, on being offensive (to someone) or being rude or risqué.

I get a large number of UK TV channels through Swisscom TV (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) this includes the Beeb, Channel 4 and Channel 5, Dave and Yesterday. What is noticeable, and not anything I’ve seen on Swiss or German TV, are the voice-overs before the programme starts “warning” people that the forthcoming programme contains….. (whatever, the list is long and seems to get longer on a daily basis).

If we were to extend this absurdity to ER, should we ask posters to provide warnings about their posts (readers should be advised that the following post contains references to LDC that some may find disturbing) or apologise for past posts (I am most sorry that in the past I referred to baked beans as “the Devil’s Vomit” thus insensitively insulting the baked bean eating community)?

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woke early and couldn't get back to sleep. Should I make a potential?

I find that I spend less time watching TV in the evenings than I used to. Why? Well with the number of channels available the "good" programmes are mainly interspersed with carp ones.

Apparently  "we" are "going for a walk" today. Distance..unknown, destination.... unknown. Packing up has been mentioned so this is serious. Pah!

I caught a part of one of the Carry on films yesterday (herself was knitting to it while I had a mugatea. @chrisfwill know which one it was as Kenneth Williams uttered the immortal words.. "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy"

Mugatea time methinks.

Stay safe, enjoy the day!

Baz

• Like 18

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sanford and Son (Redd Fox in the lead) was a US interpretation of Steptoe and Son, and All in the Family (Caroll O'Connor in the lead) was a US interpretation of Till Death Us Do Part. Both of these were adapted by Norman Lear and intentionally displayed bigotry (and many other topics then considered controversial) almost as a morality play. The US versions are, of course, *not* the same shows, and continue to be broadcast - particularly All in the Family.

There was also a 1973 US version of Love Thy Neighbor set in LA but was much toned down.

The US series Welcome Back Kotter (1975 - 1979 and which launched the career of John Travolta) was definitely a copy of the ITV comedy, “Please Sir” (1968 - 1972). Whether this was a licensed remake or “inspired by” I don’t know.

I remember watching both of these programmes when they were first transmitted and it’s more than a little unsettling to note that many of the actors, at the time of original broadcast not much older than I, are now deceased!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

But Bear!   You've put the Dado Rail on upside down ......

Consider your card well and truly marked, Puppers.....

(Seems I'll have to scoff all this Bread Pudding single-pawed.  Oh well....)

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

......chose the "Half English Breakfast"   - all the components of their Full English, just less of them.   

"Half English?"  Is nothing sacred?

Bear here.....

Today sees a "wallpaper, the hanging of" day sorry, morning.  Bear can do that.  Then I really, really ought to give the Bearmobile a quick wash; whilst I really like the tree outside Bear Towers (though the leaves in the garden in Autumn are a pain) it does mean that the Bearmobile becomes a bombing target for various Pigeons etc.  B'stards. 

In other news.....

Will iD be wearing a black armband?  Thought not....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61111999

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

6.5 hours sleep, a discussion on various control systems on Jibs on a sailing forum. Then Ben the I want out Collie took me for a patrol in the frost.

On return I looked up some examples of what someone suggested for Blue Moon, while lying back and thinking on that I fell asleep for another hour..

I've mentioned it before, but my favourite banned programme is "it ain't half hot mum" banned because a man born in India being fluent in English and Hindi, had to wear a light brown makeup, to act as an Indian..

I've a lot of aches and pains after the last 4 days off, so pink pills have been deployed.

Today's work ,

Working on the TV heater cabinet, but I'll make / modify a bit for the boat first, a job that will take a huge 15 minutes.

But first 

Muggacoffee time.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report this morning, I will have to get on with sorting the garden out this morning before the pollen hits. Also check on the car, normally its on the drive in view from the house but the drive slopes and it isn't possible to to push the car onto it so the car's round the corner on the apron in front of my garage. There is a possibility it might not be the clutch itself but the cable catching, a well known problem with the model.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

What is noticeable, and not anything I’ve seen on Swiss or German TV, are the voice-overs before the programme starts “warning” people that the forthcoming programme contains….. (whatever, the list is long and seems to get longer on a daily basis).

This one appears before a late night music clip show here, but misses the most important warning that some of the songs are just plain rubbish.

Screenshot_20220418-173922.png.5f4e5121dfe8c47ba3f298d87e23e657.png

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

Morning All

I hope that those of us with ailments are feeling better today. Luckily for me I seem to have discovered a temporary cure for my insomiminimum....Ale and Bitter.....or more precisely lots of Ale and Bitter. Saturday afternoon's Beer, Kebab, Beer, Football and Beer session resulted in a decent nights sleep. I went out like a light and amazingly stayed asleep for the duration. 23:00 - 06:00 ish. And Gotham City won 1 - 0...result.

At this stage I would just like to acknowledge that this temporary cure is neither a new scientific discovery (drinking large mounts of alcohol makes you sleepy) or a viable long term cure (because it wears off and I have to go to work) but it did at least give some temporary relief to being awake in the middle of the night.

Today I'll mostly be mowing the lawn (not looking forward to this) , tidying up the garden (definately not looking forward to this), answering a few emails (ah if I can be ar$ed by this stage) and hopefully sitting down to Mrs Grizz's home cooked roast beef and all the trimmings in the late afternoon (definately looking forward to this). 

Have a great day all. 

ATB Grizz

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Ah Doc there you have hit upon the UK's biggest elephant in the room... the failure to deal with the ever growing 'Trial by Puritanical, Self Appointed, Self Righteous and Professionally Offended Victims', seeking to silence those who dare to express any option that doesn't match theirs, edit history and electronically OUT anyone who they see, in there own twisted views, as against the good of their interests. It is a highly politicised virus infecting all facets of life in the UK.

And one of the downsides of this is that the political machinery of the country is held in thrall to a handful of ideologues and ideological extremists (across the entire political spectrum) resulting in an electorate voting, not for the best candidate/party, but for what they perceive as the least worst option.

And, to inject my customary cynical viewpoint, it’s amazing how those who put into place those rules, regulations and processes that, shall we say, “inconvenience” the majority, are themselves in positions where they are not “inconvenienced” by said rules, regulations and processes.

p.s. I was torn between flagging your post, Grizz, as “agree” or “friendly/supportive” - put me down for both.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2