Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A couple of pages ago we were discussing Accrington Stanley.  Far too many do not know of the folk performer Stanley Accrington.  I do not know his real name but the derivation of his stage name is obvious.  May I share with you one of his particularly clever utterances, about a former member of the Greater London Council.  It may be sung to a well-known tune:

"Oh, Shirley Porter, what did you do

Sold council houses to your mates and made a bob of two 

But now the sh!t has hit the fan, you've really gone too far

Oh, Shirley Porter, what a silly cow you are"

On that happy note I shall shortly be setting out for Taunton.

Chris

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mk back in the day of CB radio was known as doughnut city …

East Kilbride is/was known as Polo Mint City.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

actually watched a bit of sports today -- the Boston Marathon or at least the last couple of miles.  The women's race was interesting. There were three of them running as a pack at the front, chatting away. Then one was suddenly hundreds of feet behind. The pair continued, passing water around, until one suddenly was a few paces in front. Then there was jockeying and the lead may have changed a half dozen times in the last mile.  Part of the course seemed to have railway tracks beside it (Boylston Street?) that may have had third rail. Any ideas?

It will be one of the subway lines. Without getting access to a map I think the Orange andcRed lines are mainly surface running with 3rd Rail.  

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a cool and grey place.  Not a lot got done yesterday but I did fi ish uploading photos.  All the ones I scanned during lockdown are sorted, labelled and in logical order. It's the ones that were lieing in various recesses imported from previous hard drives that are tricky.  Perhaps one day I'll sort them out.  

Today it's time for the market and then time to start preparing for our trip to the UK on Friday.  Before that I have two files of financial stuff to go through as tomorrow I plan to do my tax return for 2021.  I have blocked the day off on the calendar.  It should be easier than last year but it's a Gevernment website that I will be fighting with.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Aha.....Insomniminimum...it comes from an episode of 'The Navy Lark'....more precisely used by Able Seaman Johnson. Who has a problem sleeping, IIRC. 

Morning All.

Spent 3.5 hours yesterday out and about in Sussex filming English Electric's class 50s who were, at times, definately in unfamiliar territory. It was a bit windy but well worth the effort. Especially as the MK1s may not have many years left on Network. 

A few photos from the videos we took. 

50007 Hercules on the rear of the BTN (Gotham City) to Newhaven Marine Sidings trip, passes Lewes.

IMG_3848.JPG.9b4ad68d02025d1f6221f761bd406d89.JPG

50008 Thunderer on the rear of the Newhaven Marine to Haywards Heath trip, at Hamsey Crossing. 

IMG_3863.JPG.ee13128604444c6020ab940cc74530e0.JPG

50008 Thunderer leading the Haywards Heath to Eastbourne trip, at Cooksbridge. 

IMG_3879.JPG.53f1584b6c9796a01d85477560660a4b.JPG

With 50007 masquerading as 50034 Furious on one side on the rear of the train, at Cooksbridge. 

IMG_3880.JPG.0245ff93509a5009159b116815f00480.JPG

Well got to go. We are off to shunt trains about for the morning. 

Have a good one all. 

ATB Grizz 

Nice.  I'm old enough to remember them on test on the Settle and Carlisle in steam days with a rake of 19 maroon coaches from Crewe.

Jamie.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Lovely start to the day here with lots of blue sky and sunshine.  A fine, dry and warm day is forecast.

The Boss was up at 6.00am to start food preparations for today's visitors.  She brought me up a muggatea at 7.30 which was, I thought, quite nice of her to leave me asleep/dozing for so long!  She is now wielding The Shark which is most unusual as she doesn't like it and usually leaves it to me.  I have been offered my preferred Sunday breakfast of bacon, eggs etc  so she must be in a good mood.  I haven't got much to do except decorate my cheesecake and at midday go and collect birthday boy Steve.  We're expecting 14 for lunch and drinks so a good day is in prospect.

Rugby and GP are set to record for my delectation later tonight after everyone's gone home.....if they do!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news I don't play politics in public but merely note that we are among the local areas where an election is about to occur.  Choose three from twelve in our case all of which are mainstream parties - not a whacky nor a Monster Raving Loony among them. 

The Beary take on P*litics......

Whilst I love watching The Muppet Show, I wouldn't want 'em running the Country.

Er, hang on a minute, actually I think I would want them running the country - I reckon they'd do a pretty good job after all.  Let's see now:

Fozzie:  Minister for Fun.

Animal:  Law and Order.

Cookie Monster:  Food

Oscar the Grouch:  Foreign Minister

Hmm, the Cabinet's shaping up nicely already....

Bear here.....

Well I think I'll wake the nearly new neighbours (not to be confused with the newest neighbour) with a little drillin' this morning - I still have two sets of architrave to fit, one of which falls into the "noisy drilling" (i.e. into brickwork) category.  They're still well in debt with This Bear after all the racket that went on just before Chrimbo when they had to have the concrete floor dug out of their bluddy great side extension and lounge cos' Bodger Bill the Builder (actually he was trained as a Postman....) laid the concrete with no DPC.  Not that Bear bears a grudge (see what I did there?).

After that?  Well there's still a paint scheme for the walls to choose, which I must do today cos' I very nearly need it now.  

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Off to Batley shortly. Looking at the two teams who are playing it could be fun.. a bit like herding poisonous snakes.12 noon start, 50 overs a side..

Moving spiders.. use my hands, moving bees.. use my hands, moving wasps . ... an empty jar and a piece of card.. I don't trust them!

No voting bumf here yet. Although one candidate has plastered his signs on sticks everywhere by the roadsides around here. But he is a "eco warrior" according to his on line Web pages. Yer! Right!  Erm the signs are plasticised printed paper stapled onto pieces of wood. ..

Have a great day!

Stay safe!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

... As to elections we have our presidential run off tomorrow.  A French neighbour summed it up as do you vite for the liar or the bigot. ......

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Someone in France was being interviewed as regards who to vote for - they responded with "Pick the lesser of two evils - Cholera or the Plague".  Not sure which is the worse out of those two......

Whoever it was being interviewed obviously has an in-depth understanding of Politics.

Round here we also have some elections due. I think it's a choice of five evils to rate... though I suspect I shall follow a former mayor of London's philosophy, relayed in an unguarded moment to the media. One hard copy advert for the blue party through our door, followed by one for the reds. Nothing from the others yet but the bin's already full, so no regrets. Anyway, I can hear my luff fluttering, so...

9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Or maybe bare bear paw?

I was thinking 'Bear's bare paw'? 

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Aha.....Insomniminimum...it comes from an episode of 'The Navy Lark'....more precisely used by Able Seaman Johnson. Who has a problem sleeping, IIRC. 

That's the trouble with insomnin ... insomnonnia...  what you said... you've time to wonder about spelling and phrases! Yes, the genius of Ronnie B. I could hear it in my head but wasn't too sure about the spelling. Perhaps it varied anyway? 

Blue sky and sunshine, so time to stir. Carpe diem (as much as is allowed on a Sunday anyway). 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

The Beary take on P*litics......

Whilst I love watching The Muppet Show, I wouldn't want 'em running the Country.

Er, hang on a minute, actually I think I would want them running the country - I reckon they'd do a pretty good job after all.  Let's see now:

Fozzie:  Minister for Fun.

Animal:  Law and Order.

Cookie Monster:  Food

Oscar the Grouch:  Foreign Minister

Hmm, the Cabinet's shaping up nicely already....

Bear here.....

Well I think I'll wake the nearly new neighbours (not to be confused with the newest neighbour) with a little drillin' this morning - I still have two sets of architrave to fit, one of which falls into the "noisy drilling" (i.e. into brickwork) category.  They're still well in debt with This Bear after all the racket that went on just before Chrimbo when they had to have the concrete floor dug out of their bluddy great side extension and lounge cos' Bodger Bill the Builder (actually he was trained as a Postman....) laid the concrete with no DPC.  Not that Bear bears a grudge (see what I did there?).

After that?  Well there's still a paint scheme for the walls to choose, which I must do today cos' I very nearly need it now.  

Pretty sure we have had Muppets running this country for decades now.......................

Morning, another restless night, up just after 6, a bit chilly so put the towel heater on in the bathroom before showering, went back to bed and fell asleep, not waking until nine, that's a first for a while. Cloudy but dry today and forecast this for a couple of days, so not much planned, I might try a short drive round the village to see how I get on, the neighbours have been warned lol.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit stuffed up with the hay fever this morning but that means no G word today. I have filled out my postal vote and I will drop it into the post box tomorrow.

6 hours ago, chrisf said:

May I share with you one of his particularly clever utterances, about a former member of the Greater London Council.  It may be sung to a well-known tune:

"Oh, Shirley Porter, what did you do

Sold council houses to your mates and made a bob of two 

But now the sh!t has hit the fan, you've really gone too far

Oh, Shirley Porter, what a silly cow you are"

Chris

Dame Shirley Porter was never a member of the GLC, she was leader of Westminster City Council. Also she only sold of council houses in marginal wards to supporters of her own party. IIRC the leader of the GLC at the time was Ken Livingstone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

47 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Pretty sure we have had Muppets running this country for decades now.......................

The muppets aren't the problem. It is the evil b*stards who have their hands up the muppet's backsides that are the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Up later than planned, so I went straight outside to do some work in the garden. I'm currently taking a restfrom trying to remove the stump of an old shrub, it's almost ready to pull out, so hopefully it shouldn't take me much longer. Teas all gone now so it's back to work. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2022 at 06:50, jamie92208 said:

CHRIS remember my 2 rules re societies.

1.  Always attend the AGM or you will find you've ended up with a job.

2. Never ask a questi9n at an AGM or you will end up with a job.

Sound advice but it doesn't always work as @jamie92208 has recently discovered.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent a couple of hours clearing the racking and the end of the job is in sight, only one more box to make room for. A few more items will be heading for the garden shed or the garage and some things for the local charity shop. Kettles boiling so its be back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:
On 21/04/2022 at 06:50, jamie92208 said:

CHRIS remember my 2 rules re societies.

1.  Always attend the AGM or you will find you've ended up with a job.

2. Never ask a questi9n at an AGM or you will end up with a job.

Sound advice but it doesn't always work as @jamie92208 has recently discovered.

I managed to end up with a job starting at an AGM I wasn’t at. I was over 12,000 miles away!  Short version - I’m still doing the job almost five years later so either I’m doing something righr or no-one else is prepared to ask questions or to absent themselves from the AGM 🤣

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17