RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, polybear said:

.... Should someone tell Farmer Giles that Tanks and Missile Launchers tend to be easier to tow if you take the handbrake off first? ...

FG: OK, which one is it?

PB: Just that little lever there... 

[Missiles launch, demolishing FG's neighbour's barn]

PB: Noooo, not that one, the one behind it. 

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not a problem - the Beardrone is fully equipment with the latest, state-of-the-art ECM, ECCM, Flare & Chaff Launchers and Anti-Missile Defence Systems.  Not to mention other stuff that cannot be mentioned.....

Given the systems quoted, I think (a) CC needs to get himself a better class of arms suppliers and (b) is going to have/already has a serious maintenance and spare part problem. 

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Many, many moons ago, Bear's Physics Teacher made mention of a Card he saw in a Newsagents' shop-window in East London which read: "Young Lady does interesting things whilst wearing a Gas Mask"

Is that weird enough?

As someone who grew up with thoughts of Vicki Michelle in flying helmet and with wet celery, sorry, no way. That's positively mainstream... 😉

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Oh, re the BeeGees - They are/were Manx, of course.  😉  There's a statue of them on Douglas prom.

Probably our most famous export, that, kippers and Pilates - Joe developed his techniques while interned here in WW1!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

I remember going into a phone box in Grovesnor Square not far from where the American Embassy used to be. There were several postcards offering "services" shall we say quite an eye opener to a young man from Yorkshire who had gone to ring his mum to tell her he had arrived safely. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Many, many moons ago, Bear's Physics Teacher made mention of a Card he saw in a Newsagents' shop-window in East London which read: "Young Lady does interesting things whilst wearing a Gas Mask"

Is that weird enough?

Maybe from the same pen as this specimen seen in Ilfracombe

IMG_0831.jpg.70aecf2345e1f3c72385270c0234060e.jpg

• Funny 19

....Not a problem - the Beardrone is fully equipment with the latest, state-of-the-art ECM, ECCM, Flare & Chaff Launchers and Anti-Missile Defence Systems.  Not to mention other stuff that cannot be mentioned.....

SNAP!

CC has been a preferred customer (and Beta tester) for most of the cutting edge technology around. Most of which CC won't mention or even hint at.

(Bear, you don't know Giles in Area 51 by any chance?)

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Given the systems quoted, I think (a) CC needs to get himself a better class of arms suppliers and (b) is going to have/already has a serious maintenance and spare part problem.

I don't know. CC doesn't tell me anything about that sort of thing in any detail. I just made notes of what was in the "recycle bin" during my last visit to the Alpine Redoubt

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

20 hours ago, polybear said:

the local haunt was the "Casa d'Italia" - and very good it was too. 

Could well have been but most of my visits were Pre Nov '89 (the significance will not be wasted on Bear) so I can't remember!

Travelling with a certain infamous Environmental Trials Engineer of the day we tended to stay at Mains Hall which was very nice (at the time).

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Weird dream.  And I really do mean WEIRD.......

It's very, very rare that Bear can actually remember a dream - that's weird for a start.

First weird bit was Bear painted the chimney breast, and then thought "wot a tw@t - you've used the wrong colour (it's a two-tone paint scheme).  What's more, the dark colour I'd used wasn't what I'd ordered - it was much, much darker, and the wrong colour to start with.  Turdycurses.

Then Bruvver Bear and his SWMBO appeared unannounced (after not hearing from them in 12 years) and she proceeded to cook dinner - chicken.  Bear doesn't like chicken. AND she used Bear's new oven.....

And when Bear looked thru' the glass window in the oven door it looked more like the raging inferno of a gas cooker than a leccy one - blue flames everywhere.  Bluddy Hell.

What's more, she hadn't removed Grandad Bear's foot pump (stored in the wooden box that GDB had made - see what I did there?) stored on the bottom shelf of the oven first, nor the stained glass picture of Frank Bruno.  Very, very weird indeed - cos' (a) Bear hasn't got such a stained glass piccy, and (b) whilst I do have the foot pump it's in the loft, not in the oven......

And did Bear get a Chicken n' whatever din dins? (not that I'd want it).  Nope.  She cooked me a few slices of toast instead - and Bear couldn't find the Strawberry Jam; then I remembered the Lemon Curd - which is better anyway.  I woke up before I could scoff the toast.....

Now analyse that one if you can.

Right chaps, you keep him talking I'll phone the Fuuny Farm.  Doh!  I've just remembered, it's Care in the Community now.

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Bike show in Ramsey today so we're off there with some friends, will possibly involve a full Manx,

What?    The full Norton?     Very nice indeed!

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Since no mention has been made of any aerial defences then Bear will simply fly in, suspended beneath the Beardrone  and snaffle it before your very eyes.  Too easy.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Foolish, foolish, foolish Bear.

Since when did a Supervillain, such as one of Captain Cynical's calibre, ever reveal the full extent of the nasty surprises awaiting the over confident ursine.  A friendly Sayyad-2, Tan-SAM Kai II or Strela-10ML ain't the half of it...

The bear is gonna be in a world of hurt....

Not a problem - the Beardrone is fully equipment with the latest, state-of-the-art ECM, ECCM, Flare & Chaff Launchers and Anti-Missile Defence Systems.  Not to mention other stuff that cannot be mentioned.....

Having worked on "Beardrone Systems" for many years and I'm not certain what version of Beardrone TM Bear is currently using but if it's later than V 4.3 then I think it would be best for Flavio to "Hurry on up the Jungfrau as quickly as possible" .    Clearly , I can't go into any detail at all on the Beardrone systems, their operational modes, their efficacy and any minor limitations they may have in use on such a forum  but hiding in a tunnel at high altitude might be the safest option.    Just sayin' ......

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As to searches.  Don't ever try searching for Big Boy move.  I had to change my search to 4-8-8-4.

As a former member of the Large Model Association I was always disappointed that a Google search for Large Model Association didn't throw up more amusing results.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ohhrrrrr, not hot pink?  🤣

Brings out Bear's more sensitive side ....

In Other News

The world, both globally and "family local" continues to "Go to Hell in Handcart".   

It would be so nice to get some good and cheery news for a change?   Fat chance, so Turdycurses with a capital T!

TTFNQ

Alan

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

There are such things as roller washers, which are in effect a bit of drain pipe with a vertical piece or 1/2 inch pipe the length of a roller with holes drilled in to jut was your roller. Fortunately my father in law has one but to buy they are overpriced as last time I looked they were £75 and that was twenty years ago!

Bear has a gadget that is effectively a holder for a roller with a straight metal shaft at one end; the roller goes onto the holder, shaft into a drill chuck and then hold the whole lot with the roller pointing vertically downwards into a bucket/bin/big cardboard box etc. lined with a bin liner.  Fire up the drill and let centrifugal force do the rest - the roller still needs repeated rinsing and spinning etc. (not a good idea to rinse it still attached to the drill - especially if it's a mains leccy one....) but the gadget does make life easier & quicker.  After today I'll fish it out again and use it for the cleaning tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

(Bear, you don't know Giles in Area 51 by any chance?)

Bear interviewed him - I rejected him (he never brought cake with him) but the HR Bozo's "knew best" and hired him anyway. T0ssers.

In other news.....

Here's a couple of piccies of the holder that Bear knocked up - basically a copy (though a little larger) of the one that very clever buddy at College has:

2074891709_IMG_24751.JPG.0884d21a1b37796446e2106172e91f8a.JPG

1400093455_IMG_24761.JPG.1cd410b4809cb1f0117428266aa74993.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, PupCam said:

..Having worked on "Beardrone Systems" for many years and I'm not certain what version of Beardrone TM Bear is currently using but if it's later than V 4.3 then I think it would be best for Flavio to "Hurry on up the Jungfrau as quickly as possible" .    Clearly , I can't go into any detail at all on the Beardrone systems, their operational modes, their efficacy and any minor limitations they may have in use on such a forum  but hiding in a tunnel at high altitude might be the safest option.    Just sayin' ......

CC told me that the Beardrone was great for dilettantes, but - being a Supervillain - he has access to technologies and weapons systems banned by international treaty...  Micronukes hidden in RTR LMS Locomotives (and triggered by a pulse to all DCC controllers with a hidden "slave" chip), for example...

Good may eventually triumph over evil, but evil's gonna have one hell of a fun ride on the way to perdition...

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Recently had at least four fox cubs playing in the back garden this afternoon. Tried to snap a pic but it came out blurred and if I opened a door or window they'd disappear in a flash. They are almost full grown now and I expect that they will soon be gone. I tidied up the boxes on the racking and made a bit more space in them, still got some to do but nearly there. Then I will make a start on clearing out the stuff that is occupying the shed.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Could well have been but most of my visits were Pre Nov '89 (the significance will not be wasted on Bear) so I can't remember!

As were Bear's - but I find the presence of (a) Pizza, (b) Pasta, (c) Ice Cream and (d) blank receipts helps the memory no end 😀

11 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Travelling with a certain infamous Environmental Trials Engineer of the day we tended to stay at Mains Hall which was very nice (at the time).

Ah yes, Flick Demon; he & IM1 were inseparable as I recall - until the latter came to a somewhat unfortunate end, as did the Jag.  Seems the Great Empire hadn't asked to borrow it (IM1, that is) either.  Oops.  Serious grovelling by the Grown-Ups was required, so I understand.  Those were the days.....

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Well the spare bedroom is officially finished apart from flooring and some form of window dressing.

We took a load of stuff to the tip which took ages due to traffic around Xscape and Freeport and roadworks in Castleford I ended up driving through the back streets of terraced houses in Glass Houghton to miss the roadworks. Then there was an RTC on the way back involving a 22 plate car with its back end smashed in and another car with very little front end left and airbags deployed.

Whist we were out a nurse had called to do an ECG on me which was a complete surprise so they are allegedly coming Wednesday after 12. The point is no one had told us this was needed. Why the surgery couldn't contact me and make an appointment or the district nurse rung 

That possibly explains why I couldn't  use that route to get back from a trip to North Featherstone this morning. The two lanes into Xscape were queued right back across the M62 roundabout.

As to French paint it's awful.  I usually bring paint back as we've got a mate who works for Johnstons at Birstall.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

No it will be LDC themed the dado rail will be painted buttercream 

D'oh, of course! Well done Simon.

I should have thought that one out, our kitchen's pale yellow......LOL.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That possibly explains why I couldn't  use that route to get back from a trip to North Featherstone this morning. The two lanes into Xscape were queued right back across the M62 roundabout.

As to French paint it's awful.  I usually bring paint back as we've got a mate who works for Johnstons at Birstall.

Jamie

Cutsyke Road has also been shut during the week at least it has caused problems getting to St Wifrids school to pick the youngest up 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

21 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

BeeGees grew up somewhere in QLD in teh late 50's, early 60's so I assume it was filmed then and there.

They went to Caboolture High School some years ahead of a University classmate of mine who is sadly no longer with us.  In those days Caboolture was all pineapple farms. My classmate's parents owned one. A pineapple his mum gave us, perfectly ripe, to this day is the best pineapple I have ever tasted. Now Caboolture is an outer suburb of Brisbane. It is northwest of Redcliffe.

The Gibb lads moved to Sydney in 1963.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

20 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We believe Comino's Arcade features at beginning and Vince's Garage somewhere in the middle - and of course THE FAMOUS FILMER'S PALACE HOTEL complete with "FOUREX BEER XXXX" Sign towards the end!

Trees visible to the left of the pub looked very like the Norfolk Island Pines that are ubiquitous along the waterfront of coastal towns of southeast Queensland. There are plenty of them in Redcliffe today.

The focus on the video is so bad I couldn't actually tell if they weren't telegraph poles. 😉

Never went to Redcliffe very often. It was named after a location Matthew Flinders named Red Cliff Point - for the red volcanic soil.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1