The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, southern42 said:

....like this morning doing breakfast, looking at the empty cereal bowl...."What do I next?" somewhere in the depths of the brain cells.

I puta teaspoon of coffee in mine yesterday!

Edited by Erichill16
Dyslexia coming to the fore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Today has been busy going round  collecting various items Shopping first of all then screws and some cheap paint brushes from Toolstation

This afternoon I have been to a local fence supplier for a couple of fence posts and some decking handrail. I have saved £10* on the posts and they come ready planed which will save some time and another £10* on the handrail

*compared with Wickes prices 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I am just being reminded that you don't actually need air conditioning if buildings are designed for hot climates. Sitting here with the ceiling fans keeping us very pleasant despite it being 30-odd degrees outside whereas in England this weather can be stifling in homes. 

Horses for courses in that your Singaporean home probably wouldn't do well in the British climate.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just watched an old Movie on TV, Zeppelin. Not bad for a 51 year old film.

4 hours ago, southern42 said:

My parents never had a telephone although a few neighbours did. There was a red telephone box across the road in the days when then the telephone was rarely "out of order" or butchered. The first phone Mum had was my old Nokia which had been passed down to me. She never looked back. She rarely used it as a phone, being hard of hearing by then, but she would text me nearly everyday. Goodbye handwritten letters!

My mum used to write to my grandmother at least once a week, all in longhand.

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I also read the year old article at the foot of that one which explained the rise of bunions on medieval feet due to extremely fashionable pointed shoes - it mainly affected the wealthier and the clergy (despite them being forbidden to wear the shoes!)

Yes, an interesting article as were some of the others.

Now to watch the last Help! I bought a village.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Lieber Herr Weißes Kaninchen

Do you want the investor brochure and price list, or the customer brochure and price list?

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ms Lucy iD

Investor and Customer Relations

CCI GmbH

tel +41 22 911-999

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

... Any testing to be done at Bear Towers would be performed in full compliance with the Declaration of Helsinki and applicable local legislation, get full IRB approval before starting and participants/volunteers would be modestly recompensated in the form of cash or cake.

As the treatment is based on the common cold virus, any adverse events (so-called “side-effects“)  are likely to be similar to those of a heavy cold….

Rather than shipping a quantity of gold bullion to you in a Rolls Royce, can I volunteer for product testing of the first four? Particularly if Lucy's involved and she can be bribed to let me have these on trial in exchange for a decadent quantity of assorted treats. 

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Not sure how the pigs ears are prepared, they just look as if they are air dried. Not tried him with rabbits ears, though we have seen them in Newark . They are claimed they have de-worming properties, are full of fibre and are hypoallergenic. There must be a lot of earless rabbits running  around Newark...

https://www.thebluebarn.co.uk/index.php/en/shop/dog/treats/rawhide-treats/Happy-Pet-Rabbit-Ears-Single-detail suggests 'natural dried'. They aren't on the web-site but last time I was in, they had pigs ears too, which looked similar in nature. 

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

... The pet shop sells all sorts of body parts. I bet you could make some sort of Frankenstein’s monster if you sowed all the body parts together. 

Now that sounds like a challenge - and something a modern artist might be mad enough to try! 

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

On telephones, a bit of useless information, we were the first with out surname in the London Telephone Directories as dad these days, for most of his working life, might well be considered as a Sole Trader.

He was willing to help old lags by training them to repair time recorders and there were one ot two interesting tales to come from that  e.g a company from sme distance contacted him to ask if the man who had called-in on speck to repair his time clock should be paid.  Dad's reply was 'Did he do a good job?"  The reply was "Yes, its working properly".to which dad said "That's fine then you can pay him".  He did of course work out who might have called-in and confirmed it some time later - one of the lags had run short of cash.

Dad was willing to travel anywhere and on one occasion went to a Celtic vs Rangers  (obviously as a neutral) match and as was his 'went' he shouted out "Foul" when he saw an obvious one.  The next moment his hat was pushed down over his face with a comment "Ain't new foo"- cannot do the Scottish accent or exact words but that is basically what was said.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Maybe, if it is fine to believe fondly that it is Sunday when it is really Friday.  Oh dear.

Chris

Believe me, Chris, it is otherwise I would not be in the same predicament. Unless, of course, I should be saying, Oh dear, too. Ask Ray, if I ever know what day it is! 😂  Although, I do know if it is Sunday if I play big little trains (7 1/4" variety) on that day, unless it is a Wednesday...or a Saturday!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Although they enjoy them, the dogs actually prefer the rabbit ears which also are processed (dehydrated perhaps?) and come complete with fur. Schotty, not known for being a refined or slow eater, actually takes his time when working his way through a rabbit ear.

Bunny Ears?  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...................

I've sent a list of Counsellors to @The White Rabbit - along with a crash helmet. 

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Any testing to be done at Bear Towers would be performed in full compliance with the Declaration of Helsinki and applicable local legislation, get full IRB approval before starting and participants/volunteers would be modestly compensated in the form of cash or cake.

Define "modest"....

Askin' for a friend....

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been known to pour some apple juice over my muesli once or twice.

Bear has done the same with Boiling Water once or twice.

In other news....

Bear has spent the afternoon planning pictures on walls - jeez, I never realised there was so much to it.  Much done - now I need the Amazon Ladies to deliver Bear's picture hooks.

@PupCam's Exam Question Of The Day:

Should a piccy be centred along the length of the wall, or above the centre of the sofa**?  The obvious solution of shiftin' the sofa sideways to match the wall C/L does work - but not if you fancy being able to see the telly at the same time....   Turdycurses.

(**Bear is favouring the wall).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been known to pour some apple juice over my muesli once or twice.

As a teenager I routinely used orange juice (on purpose) with my breakfast cereal - cornflakes with a muesli topping. Couldn't (still can't) handle milk. These days it's yoghurt with the toasted muesli / granola.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Talking of those on whole life sentences I see that scumbag Wayne Couzens has been charged with 2 more counts of indecent exposure 

I've a sneaky feeling it'll not worry him too much....

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I am just being reminded that you don't actually need air conditioning if buildings are designed for hot climates. Sitting here with the ceiling fans keeping us very pleasant despite it being 30-odd degrees outside whereas in England this weather can be stifling in homes. 

Being familiar with colonial architecture in the tropics - shady verandahs, tall ceilings, plenty of wide door openings, window awnings (or alternatively what are known as plantation shutters in the US) all do help.  The traditional "Queenslander" style home had many of these. They were also often built on tall stumps - handy for catching the breeze, providing storage below and avoiding floods.

I do wish I had a ceiling fan in my bedroom here. (A retro fit is possible, but would require a *lot* of fishing about in the ceiling and/or ceiling repair to pull wires.) Most of my school classrooms only had ceiling fans.

However, there are times (and I concur with your longer post below) that air conditioning is the only answer for comfort.

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Singapore is actually much more comfortable than the UK in hot weather as buildings are designed to be cool, and everywhere has air conditioning for when needed as well as apartments and houses having ceiling fans which are great. A lot of the side walks have awnings to keep the sun off you when it's dry and to keep you dry when it's wet which is a great feature and in the city centre there are large networks of underground linkways which are air conditioned.

My emphasis.

Having air conditioning on a programmable thermostat with a temperature profile is handy. It only kicks in when it is really needed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

Maybe, if it is fine to believe fondly that it is Sunday when it is really Friday.

Without being facetious, there are 'clocks' with one hand that points to a day of the week. I gave one to friends as a retirement gift some years ago. It was a 'sort of' gag gift, but they found it practical.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Weekend, no definite plans, but since we're spending 4 days away in Duluth next week for a short vacation, we do have to do some pre-trip planning as to what we want to do/see while gone.

Duluth is the farthest western most point/port on the Great Lakes and has some interesting shipping movement that are fun to watch, their famous lift-bridge - traffic from around the world, we have a great location/view with a balcony watching out over the lake and port entrance as below;

This is worth a visit if you like ships and shipping . It is BIG .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_William_A._Irvin

One fact I picked up on the tour , it's 4000 mile from Duluth to the ocean .

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Without being facetious, there are 'clocks' with one hand that points to a day of the week. I gave one to friends as a retirement gift some years ago. It was a 'sort of' gag gift, but they found it practical.

Love it:

image.png.f7709e1175d8b9177ae450e444449ab2.png

On the 'bay, thirty quid.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, chrisf said:

The worst thing is that I forgot to listen to the omnibus edition of The Archers.  What must you all think of me?

I just assumed that the omnibus edition had moved from Sunday for some reason. Fortunately I noticed the later comment about “what day is it?” before asking Aditi about why the Archers had a different broadcast time. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Interesting called ‘Happy pet rabbit ears.’ Can’t see the pet rabbits being very happy without ears!

By the way Mr White Rabbit , how’s your hearing?

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

This is worth a visit if you like ships and shipping . It is BIG .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_William_A._Irvin

One fact I picked up on the tour , it's 4000 mile from Duluth to the ocean .

Indeed, we've toured it before. One reason we're going there again is it's a much loved spot of the Mrs, so we often go for a few days.

Since the lurgy hit we've not been, this will be our first time back...

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2