RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Separate from the (presumably long) sequence of ceremonials - like lying in state, the funeral train from Edinburgh, more lying in state, bell tolling, the state funeral, and then later a coronation and perhaps an investiture of a new Prince of Wales, I wonder how much of the change of everyday monarchical tokens are planned ahead.

I'm thinking of things like minting coinage, printing money and postage stamps and all the letterhead that will get embossed with a new royal CIIIR cipher. Does the royal mint already have a sculpted obverse of the new monarch ready to go for when they next strike some coinage* or print currency notes*, or does that wait until after the Coronation?

* Which I presume they do fairly regularly.

Does the Royal Mail swap out the royal silhouette on postage stamps that are yet to be printed? (According to the Royal Mail website there are stamps commemorating the Royal Marines to be released on September 29. One imagines these are printed already.)

I'm imagining the official stationers for the palace and government tooling up to produce new stationery. Even with so much electronic communication, I suspect there's still a lot of official printed paper - not all of which is electronically generated.

Obviously (and it should go without saying) none of this happens without a suitable period of mourning. I was pondering the logistics involved.

No doubt the Royal Mint will have everything in hand. There are stamps and coins in existence for Edward VIII, much sought after by collectors. The changes to stamps and coinage in that instance was affected by the abdication but significantly he was depicted without a crown. His successor George VI is depicted with and without a crown, not being depicted crowned until after his coronation.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from a damp Charente.  Intere points about stamps and coins.  Usually these have the monarch wearing a crown.  The Edward VIII stamps had him without a crown as he was never crowned.  As farcas I know all Elizabeth stamps have her crowned head.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

A measure of Glenlivet  was raised in HM's memory last night.

Here I may have a bike ride this morning then am going trainspotting this afternoon.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edward VIII post boxes do exist but as far as I am aware they are all in museums or storage though most of them performed their function for several years but have now been removed and replaced with replicas/new boxes to prevent theft.

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

King Charles III has a very hard act to follow. I wish him well.

Signs are that he's going to take the monarchy into an entirely different direction. His influence on her late majesty has become more apparent in recent years. I think he will surprise us with what he will do.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Greetings all from a Sidcup where the rain has cleared temporarily although it is promised back again around lunchtime.

To a great extent, life will just carry on, albeit with a sense of sadness over us for a while. Although the press will try to make a lot of the "uncertainty" caused by a new monarch, most people's day-to-day lives are not affected by who the monarch is or even whether there is a monarch. So I can't help feeling the press is trying to make a bigger story than there actually is. Charles has been well groomed for the past however many years that he was going to be king and I get the impression he is a fairly serious sort so will follow his mother's example and try to carry out the role in the same way. Whether he will be regarded with such affection as his mother is probably less likely - but he will likely just get on with it anyway!

I suspect William's kids will remember their first day at a new school for very different reasons than people normally do.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All will change including post boxes. Modern post boxes are made of fibreglass rather than cast iron and the royal cipher is a transfer. The first noticeable change will probably be in postage stamps followed by banknotes, but not before existing stocks of stamps are depleted and notes in circulation are worn out.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

There were a few Edward VIII post boxes around the country, I remember one in Lancaster. A few years ago it must have dawned on someone just how rare it was and it disappeared, to be replaced by a standard ER box. In line with the earlier mention of coins and stamps I wonder if there is a ready supply of CR post box fronts and where will the first one go to?

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Greetings one and all…… these things are well planned for and well prepared for.

Operation ‘London Bridge’ would have started moments after the great ladies passing.

Theres a separate operation should she have passed in Scotland.

No doubt the Mint is geared up and ready to go and likewise the Post Office.

I can imagine the Military, Police, Fire Service etc going into a frenzy, issuing new cap badges, badges of rank etc as it will all have to be changed.

The plod alone will have to buy, issue and replace over 500,000 helmet plates ( known as a Brunswick Star) and cap badges. Assuming of course they still issue 2 of each.

All the cars, vans etc will need liveries updating and all the heraldic shields etc in Courts and public buildings updated.

Busy times.

The Queen is dead, Long live the King!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

There were a few Edward VIII post boxes around the country, I remember one in Lancaster. A few years ago it must have dawned on someone just how rare it was and it disappeared, to be replaced by a standard ER box. In line with the earlier mention of coins and stamps I wonder if there is a ready supply of CR post box fronts and where will the first one go to?

As I mentioned above, modern post boxes are glass fibre with a royal cipher transfer.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

No rain here at the moment, so hopefully during my walk to the butchers I won’t get wet. This will be followed by the usual Friday trip to the Trafford Centre for a few more bits and pieces. As for this afternoon, well there’s nothing planned, so hopefully I’ll get a bit more done in the office, I won’t to add some annotations to the control panel artwork. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Test Cricket and horseracing off today.. perhaps we shouldn't play sport over the next few days?

Quite right too, if this is anything to go by:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1666705/Arsenal-FC-Zurich-tribute-The-Queen-death-disrupted-loud-boos-from-fans

Pretty poor show from the Zurich fans.

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

So I can't help feeling the press is trying to make a bigger story than there actually is.

That bunch will never change a habit of a lifetime - they have an awful lot to answer for.  Still, whilst the public (not this Bear) keep buying their cr@p** they'll keep on doing it.

(** Many - including this Bear - feel that if it weren't for the Press then Princess Di would still be around, yet they still sell Papers)

59 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

As I mentioned above, modern post boxes are glass fibre with a royal cipher transfer.

Yuk.  Other phrases are available.

On Royal rebranding:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59596996

In other news:

A bit more gumpf sorting, followed by an attempt to reset a "Now TV" box to ensure there is no personal data etc. before despatching it off to the Charity Warehouse for re-homing (I've not used it for years, and the Firestick/Smart TV has made it unnecessary for this Bear).  Shortly after powering up it displayed a message to state that it was now obsolete and about as much use as a rubber screwdriver.  T0ssers.  Something else for landfill, though I'll keep the dc supply (5.2v dc @ 1.5A anyone?) "just in case".

Then it was time to give Momma Bear's trusty Singer Sewing Machine (a proper one, complete with a handle to turn - as a very young Cub used to do) a polish before parking it in a suitable place (= hidden behind the sofa in the Lounge).  Tick.  Incidentally, there is info on the web that enables you to trace the manufacturing date of Singer machines by serial number (possibly right down to the month IIRC) - this one is before 1920 (I have the exact date somewhere) so is over 100 years old and still going strong.  I do drive it on occasion too.  I wonder how many of the modern jobbies will still be usable when that old?

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunny but clouds gradually covering up the blue sky :(

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I suspect William's kids will remember their first day at a new school for very different reasons than people normally do.

As, no doubt, will one of our Grandchildren who started at her new school, joining her older sister.  We were whatsapped a picture of them together In their school clothes before the sad news came out.  I expect the Queen's passing will be a big topic in schools, today.

The usual toot on the flute and a bit of muddling, planned. Ragas and transfers.

Mugadecaf time and some odd-jobbing to do so I had better get a move on.

Take care.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear has just received a couple of very nice Table Lamps purchased from The Range 😃 Or at least they would be very nice if they hadn't been packed by someone with the IQ of a Plant Pot - next to burger all packaging, placed next to each other and in a box large enough to get at least 6 - and possibly 8 Lamps in.  Oh yes, and they're china.....

Result?  A large kit of parts - I'm currently listening to The Range's carp music whilst I attempt to get thru' to Customer Services to issue a verbal snottogram.

NottahappyBear.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear has just received a couple of very nice Table Lamps purchased from The Range 😃 Or at least they would be very nice if they hadn't been packed by someone with the IQ of a Plant Pot - next to burger all packaging, placed next to each other and in a box large enough to get at least 6 - and possibly 8 Lamps in.  Oh yes, and they're china.....

Result?  A large kit of parts - I'm currently listening to The Range's carp music whilst I attempt to get thru' to Customer Services to issue a verbal snottogram.

NottahappyBear.

Well it only took 40 minutes listening to the carp music before I got an answer.....in fact I was on the point of giving up (I would've when it hit 59 minutes cos' I've learnt from painful experience that the freebie phone call deal disappears at an hour) and had just started reporting it via their on-line process when the call was answered.

Fortunately the C.S. Rep was most helpful and sent me an email to reply to with pictures attached - which I already had ready to go.  For some strange reason he didn't want the items returned - can't imagine why.....

1640219233_IMG_30371.JPG.70357b2fb7529f72bbfd78d4f890b37b.JPG

1482558202_IMG_30381.JPG.34415ee291cc6f3eaecda7d40c33b41c.JPG

Bear being Bear will of course recover the leccy bits prior to dumping the rest; there are (amazingly) two totally unmarked shades as well, which were separate items.

The good news is that he has arranged for replacements to be delivered tomorrow - I did suggest that the packing might be a tad better this time....

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

The Gun Salute has just started - and the News Presenter has mentioned that some Civvy Reservists have been rapidly called up in order to assist, which is perhaps a poor reflection on the state of the current Armed Forces.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Just a thought: now that Charles is king, I wonder what the future will hold for “Me”-ghan Merkle????

I gather HM is not a fan…..

The monarch does not have the power of summary execution. Parliament, on the other hand, has something of a track record with kings called Charles. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO's Singer is iirc , 1907, her grandmother was bought it second hand in the 1930s. Tis a treadle one because her mother lost an arm when a bus parked on her at a bus stop.

Sailing for the weekend is cancelled, it should have been the junior regatta Saturday and Sunday.

Most of the post boxes round here I think are GR VI all cast iron of course .

Spinny thingy top half, handed to SWMBO for decoration, well priming any way, then I'll check for any more filling and sanding again more work to do on that.

The keeping arm has been assembled with magnets between the layers, the magnets will keep it on the flyer arms. When dry aka tomorrow, it will be shaped.

Hollow cut in back of flyer for one grub screw disk, part hollow cut in front for another, the front one is glued in place. As is the disk magnet which holds the bobbin. I think the disk magnet holding plate could do with screwing on as well.

There was a description of how to muffle the bells on the local radio, in fact they were double muffled. Except for the tenor bell.

At Sandringham they've had to introduce one way roads. To cope with the number of visitors.

I believe the answer to Il Dottore's question is.. not a lot.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BlackRat said:

No doubt the Mint is geared up and ready to go and likewise the Post Office.

I can imagine the Military, Police, Fire Service etc going into a frenzy, issuing new cap badges, badges of rank etc as it will all have to be changed.

The plod alone will have to buy, issue and replace over 500,000 helmet plates ( known as a Brunswick Star) and cap badges. Assuming of course they still issue 2 of each.

All the cars, vans etc will need liveries updating and all the heraldic shields etc in Courts and public buildings updated.

Busy times.

I can hardly imagine that in the current crisis any of these expenses will be seen as having particularly high priority. No doubt they will take place in the fullness of time as items reach the end of their serviceable life. IIRC, George VI shillings and florins remained in circulation until the faux-silver coinage was shrunk in the early 90s.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The monarch does not have the power of summary execution. Parliament, on the other hand, has something of a track record with kings called Charles. 

True, true….

but it was only the one and it is not as though they’ve made a habit of it…

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I unearthed some 'vintage' pre-decimal coinage as part 392 of the Great Sort Out. There are several different monarchs on them (Victoria to Elizabeth). It's going to feel weird for a while, we've got so used to one head/image on our coins and stamps. And God save our Queen/King - at the risk of sounding heartless, how many people will run books on which public figures are going to get caught out saying the wrong words? Anthem bingo? 

I was always struck by her sense of duty. Some have accused me of determination and commitment - the uncharitable call it stubbornness (or worse) - but hers is to mine as the Sun is to a 40 watt lightbulb. I think her record and example will stand for a very long time. Whatever your beliefs, I hope you'll join me in wishing her soul peace and contentment. 

As one institution passes, another revives: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/sep/09/its-time-for-bed-again-french-team-bring-back-the-magic-roundabout - a lighter moment amongst the rest of the week's news. 

This week's not as bad as some families have had to deal with but it's not been the best for me. Too many crises and muppets to deal with, medical, vehicular and IT. But now is not the time for a rant. It is time to talk (on a different frequency) about some origami. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7