RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

We have Eco burrito near us,

Interesting to see "quesadilla" approximated phonetically (though I would interpret it as 'case-a-dee-yah'). I was introduced to them (and many Spanish pronunciation 'rules') in the mid-1980s when first in California by colleagues trying gleefully* to see if I could pronounce them. I will admit to finding it a tongue-twister at first until the pronunciation rules were more familiar.

They make a very enjoyable and easy breakfast (with ham), though these days I am avoiding them since using two large tortillas (similarly, 'tor-tee-yahs') has a stealthily high glucose impact.

* They also tried to get me to eat a big lump of wasabi paste (not the grated root) at a Japanese place, but by the look in their eyes I was on to them and wasn't falling for that.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

. But Wilton (which was actually Wilton South) closed in 1966. 

Possibly a software glitch as the timetable for that train today on RTT does show arrival and departure times at Wilton, the only instance today. It is booked to pass an Up train there.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

My cable decoder box has a curious memory. I noticed the red lamp indicating that it is recording something. What, I wondered?

It was programmed to automatically record all 'episodes' of an event* earlier scheduled for today. Due to the Hurricane in Florida (making landfall in the last few minutes as a category 4 storm) this event was cancelled yesterday and replaced by regular programming - which is accurately shown on the cable guide by the decoder box.

* Involving politics.

Apparently I have recorded a gentleman making floral arrangements under in a glass cloche (and, separately lavender trifle), then a cooking show amongst other things, if it doesn't stop soon, Bob Ross painting. (All easily deleted.)

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It was indeed. But Wilton (which was actually Wilton South) closed in 1966. 

Wow, actually got it right - need to record that in triplicate because that sort of thing is so unusual.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, polybear said:

In the rest of the  world just the part about  a couple buying 100 cases for storing guns would have been enough to make the news and have the police around with a search  warrant  but like they say Everything's Bigger In Texas.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

E7B280BB-DFBA-4A65-A7E3-AD6C5A9F861D.jpeg.d48e88343d96f63951027da0a6b01ab6.jpeg

That pic took me down memory lane*  to a time I was waiting at Town Hall Station in the city. The  station  indicator system displayed on TV monitors had assumedly crashed because the monitors were all displaying the windows "Blue Screen Of Death" with attendant Microsoft gobbledygook. 

A pair of elderly ladies appeared next to me and after both of them had spent quite a bit of time staring up at the closest one turned to me and asked if I could look at it for them and tell them  if it said if the next train stopped at Waterfall.

*(which, this being NSW has been privatised, sold to Transurban and is now a toll road)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I tried laying flat on my back but the arthritis is still painful. Strangely enough it is in my right hip that is the cause of all the pain, a joint that hasn't been troubled by arthritis in the past. It might be something like sciatica and I will try to get a GP appointment to have it checked out tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

When out cycling we often get that, at the correct location too. They pass over Derwent Dam at about 100 feet. Impressive but nowhere near as good when a pair of Lancasters did it  few years ago.

A clip from 8 years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-29302170

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Another afternoon and night of storms hail and heavy rain with  several more days of it organised. The ground is so saturated it has nowhere to go.

Not as bad as western Florida right now. The morning (?) light is pretty. The cows don't seem to mind the wet paddock.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

36 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not as bad as western Florida right now. The morning (?) light is pretty. The cows don't seem to mind the wet paddock.

Please please don't let that be anywhere near Mara Lago. It would be absolutely awful if anything happened to that.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not western Florida but the west coast of the peninsula.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Please please don't let that be anywhere near Mar-a-Lago.

Palm Beach (North of the Miami area) probably saw a lot of rain, but the ocean wasn't flowing down the streets like it was in Naples, FL.

Once the helicopters are out in daylight tomorrow the extent of damage in the area around Fort Myers / Punta Gordo area will be easier to assess. The Gulf Coast vacation destination of Sanibel Island was heavily impacted by the storm surge. I imagine the canal estates of Cape Coral were hit hard too.

Here we were teased with a forecast for rain - not a lot, around 0.25" / 7mm over two days. (We had seen only 0.05" / 1 mm since early July.) This morning was damp but precipitation was very light - barely more than drizzle at times. The ground under the trees was still dry and the afternoon was entirely dry and partly sunny. There was barely more than a trace of precipitation measured (0.01" / 0.25 mm).

The weekend should see sunshine and 29°C.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Here we were teased with a forecast for rain - not a lot, around 0.25" / 7mm over two days. (We had seen only 0.05" / 1 mm since early July.) This morning was damp but precipitation was very light - barely more than drizzle at times. The ground under the trees was still dry and the afternoon was entirely dry and partly sunny. There was barely more than a trace of precipitation measured (0.01" / 0.25 mm).

The weekend should see sunshine and 29°C.

bom.jpg.c31135a83a2741fb3929dc9037f09b14.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9