The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The apprentice enjoyed it too he was particularly taken with the MERG stand and their bits of electronic wizardry. Looks like we may become members 

Overlord and Great Burden were our favourite layouts.

I’ve been a member of MERG for several years now. The kits are excellent value for money, very easy to build and there is a whole wealth of other information on the site and the help given by other members is good too. There are several Special Interest Groups too! I’d definitely advise joining. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, southern42 said:

Oops! Forgot - round ones, square ones...among others!

I only have three; one poinsettia-scented* one in a glass "jar", and two quite small white ones from our Christmas Eve candlelight services.

* Hmmm, I did not know that poinsettias had a scent!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a lazy old day today, just sorting out my acquisitions from yesterday, mostly diecast models mostly for a fiver each. Now to get dinner ready, chicken casserole with dumplings. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, polybear said:

First there was panic buying of bog rolls - and now it's......candles.

10 hours ago, southern42 said:

No probs, here. Candles of one sort or another everywhere.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I only have three;

EDIT: (I should have said):  I have four candles. 😉

I stopped using candles years ago. Living in the Chicago suburbs we used candles regularly and always had them lit at the dinner table. It was nice.

On selling the house we noticed sooty stripes on the ceiling under every joist, where the vagaries of climate management of the interior versus the attic exposed to summer humidity and winter cold had caused an accumulation of candle soot under the joists. Once you noticed it, the ceiling looked like a zebra crossing.

We had to break out the KILZ primer and repaint the ceiling to sell the house and stopped using candles so frequently.

I still have some, but never use them, at least indoors.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fork 'andles
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

HA HAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. As a retiree and as other retiree's will tell you you won't have time.

Joking aside - therein lies a very important (and very true) message for those not already retired.......

3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Perusing the Sunday papers, I noted the Guardian/Observer has an article on the merits or otherwise of airfryers (https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/oct/09/chips-in-an-air-fryer-they-are-dull-dry-and-very-sad-as-am-i) - I would not claim to indulge often but when I do have chips, I have high standards and expectations. Quality over quantity. 

Bear (and GDB) have that very same AF - I've yet to discover the joys of chip making, so cannot comment as yet.  However, I do note the author of the above is described on that website as "The Observer's Restaurant Critic"; I'm always a tad more than suspicious of such people cos' in my eyes that means they're paid to (possibly) destroy a perfectly good restaurant's reputation with a few presses of the keyboard keys.  It'll be interesting to see how AF chips compare with oven chips - that'll be the initial measure of success (or not) in this Bear's Book, at least as a starter for ten.  If Jay Rayner wants the very finest Heston Blumenthal's triple cooked chips then he's just gonna have to spend the time preparing and cooking them in a deep fat fryer, rather than 20 minutes in an AF.  Either that, or go down the Fat Duck and pay a wedge for them - in the hope that he's always written kind reviews about Mr HB in order to avoid the risk of any "special ingredients" being added just for him.....🤣

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

As I know where Bear was headed, and I also know a good number of those providing the spectacle I predict that Bear's chin may well have hit the floor a few times today 😀 

Here's one example that he probably will have seen:

127687693_GrahamsP47.jpg.a561ea81f4b49bb17400c765495392e0.jpg

Not that one, sadly.....

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

I have got an almost finished 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane though ....

Almost Finished?   That word almost makes all the difference - go on, you know you want to.  Then Bear can have a go on the sticks.....

Bear here.....

Well a most interesting day today - I went with several Buddies to IWM Duxford, where it was the BMFA Centenary Flying Day - with large scale model aircraft being the order of the day (as in 9ft wingspan Spitfires with 80cc engines - bluddy hell).

Sadly it was "a very gusty day" - with gusts in excess of 20+ mph - which limited those aircraft suitable for flight (and owners willing to risk them); the most impressive model (I don't have a photo sadly, as it was about to be loaded in the owner's van very early on as the wind made it too much of a risk) was a very large (1/5th scale - or maybe larger?) F16 with Gas Turbine.  The owner said the value in the air was zero - on the ground he's looking at around £11K.  Bluddy Bluddy Hell.....

Sadly there were zero/zilch/diddly squat trade stands there, which was a bit of a surprise.

We actually spent much of the day looking at the full-size aircraft in the museum (it's a bit of a shock to discover that entry for a family of four would be in the region of £75 for the museum - ouch).

Anyway, a few photos:

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

• Like 17

Looking out my window I see blue skies. It looks nicer than it does when actually outdoors where the haze is much more noticeable, particularly toward the horizon.

Our ridge of high pressure over the west coast, a blocking omega pattern (of isobars) preventing seasonal onshore moisture, has us continuing to see summer daytime temperatures (29°C forecast today). Worse is the stagnant nature of the air where pollutants including, but not necessarily dominated by, wildfire smoke has driven air quality into the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" (US AQI - 134) for several days now.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

see how AF chips compare with oven chips -

I wonder what how oven chips would do in the air fryer? A few reviews of such things mention wet batter. I suspect a lot of the battered fish at home is frozen already battered. I suspect people will find things that cook perfectly well in such a device. I still don’t think we will buy one though. 

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, polybear said:

I went with several Buddies to IWM Duxford, ...

We actually spent much of the day looking at the full-size aircraft in the museum

Is that a prototype Concorde* (left of what I'm guessing is the rear end view of a TSR-2, left of the Vulcan)?

* Perhaps a scaled down pre-production proof of concept?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is that a prototype Concorde (left of what I'm guessing is the rear end of a TSR-2, left of the Hunter)?

Yes - prototype Concorde (scary to think that was conducting flight trials just a tad under 50 years ago) and TSR2.

Sadly the Concorde seems to have bent it's nose....

IMG_3208.JPG.27cc1f91eac6ee423457c2f935b388c8.JPG

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is that a prototype Concorde* (left of what I'm guessing is the rear end view of a TSR-2, left of the Vulcan)?

* Perhaps a scaled down pre-production proof of concept?

There certainly used to be a prototype Concorde at Duxford. When Concorde was still flying there were some trips  round the Bay of Biscay in BA Concordes. So when asked at work”what did you do at the weekend?” Most people said “how lovely “ but one of the wiser admin staff said she suspected we had been to Duxford. The prototype had an escape chamber not fitted to the production model. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

On model aircraft I got hold of a copy of RCME the one with the previously discussed Augusta Helicopter model. It's a work of art and it looks huge. I did set of thinking about a scale model Vulcan but i will stick to making a start on something 2mm to the foot scale.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The prototype had an escape chamber not fitted to the production model. 

That was intriguing. At first I was imagining the rocket-powered crew eject module from the B-1A prototype (not in B-1B Lancer) but the Concorde prototypes had two ventral, double hatches for parachute evacuations at MACH 2.  (The outer hatch opened first, and an air dam lowered before egress.)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

And finally......

One or two that may be of interest to @Dave Hunt.....

And Puppers!

42 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It's a prototype Concorde. When i visited when I was younger it was fitted out inside with test equipment. You could walk through it. It was very narrow 

You still can.  I reacquainted myself with its insides about a month ago on my last visit.

Night Awl!

Alan

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... measure of the diminution of the cold is that a couple of days ago I as filling the bin with tissues by lunchtime. Then it was half a bin full by lunchtime. Today it’s half a bin all day. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/10/09/good-use-of-government-money/

Have you plotted it for your students to extrapolate the time when you will be completely free of it and the variables that might prolong the course?

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There was a prototype Concorde at the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton as well. I'm not sure if it's still there its many years since I visited.

Yes it is still there .

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4