The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I know we only usually skirt round the edges of politics in here, but ladies and gentlemen I have the answer to all out problems.... Ringo for PM...!

2089303884_RingoPMDOWNINGST.jpg.bcd6d971e91022d8b0856a6607a4141b.jpg

Sorted!

Bear would quite like to see a "Paddington Bear Party" - have loads of P's running for every seat in the country, with the Leader of the Party being "Big P." himself.  I've a sneaky feeling that after recent events he might just cause a real upset.  The thought of Paddington meeting POTUS etc. would be a real scream.  And let's face it, Paddington seems to be doing alright in the Ukraine at the moment....

(ISTR a similar event where a Footie Mascot(?) ran for Mayor somewhere in the UK - and won.  I believe that he had a pretty decent career at it as a result)

Edit:  Found it - Angus the Monkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Drummond#:~:text=Stuart Drummond 

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hey Bear, what the .... were you doing at the York (PA) train show yesterday; here is an eyewitness report 🙀 :

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/bear-lead-was-in-the-house?reply=165292038946161513#165292038946161513

A mere imposter - though it does seem that he's upholding the Beary image.

There is only one authentic, bona fide, g-e-n-u-i-n-e Bear......

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Not mentioned the grandchildren for some time as they're now all young adults and doing their own thing.  Really miss those after school visits that we used to get.

One of Bear's GREAT regrets in life is not making the effort to see GDBear more often; he lived 100 miles away - but Bear had a car.  Very big mistake.

He died back in 1992 - if only he was still around now....😢

Bear here....

Washing done.  Tick.  Then it was stripping the wallpaper - oh, deep joy; I started around half nine - and finished at half six, with a break for a large chip roll, jumbo snagger n' beans.  The walls underneath weren't in as good nick as I'd (unreasonably) hoped - but more as I expected.  "Some" filling will be needed....

Stripping the high bit of the walls was, how shall we say - "interesting"; I had to use the BBL** normally used for exterior work.  Coving that area of ceiling won't be fun, that's for sure.

Tomorrow won't see any further H/S/L work - I'll have a break from it for a day as I have dross to take care of - insurance quotes for the Bearmobile, a lost ebay parcel to claim for, a missing chuck key to find - or order (it's a very small one) plus other general stuff that needs a Bear's attention.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The wet stuff has been falling from the sky but fortunately Arthur Itis has remained quiet. I've got to re-glue some wobbly chairs so when I was in Tess Coes I bought some Gorilla glue. When I went to put it away there sitting in the cupboard was another identical container of Gorilla glue.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

A mere imposter - though it does seem that he's upholding the Beary image.

There is only one authentic, bona fide, g-e-n-u-i-n-e Bear......

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Sooty!

Or Yogi!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Or Baloo perhaps?

Edited by BSW01
Bl00dy spellchecker
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Anybody remember Nookie Bear?

Unfortunately yes

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Kipling's Baloo I'm presuming?

Original bears for me would be "Big ted" and "Little ted" on Auntie's (ABC) Play School* in the 1960s.

* Based on a BBC show, but the Australia version continues.

What about Humphrey B Bear or was he banned from your telly too due to lack of pants?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 9

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

We also had a message from Joe a couple of hours ago to check up if we were OK.  He's really enjoying his time at UBC and really loves Canada.  

That’s good to hear!

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

What about Humphrey B Bear or was he banned from your telly too due to lack of pants?

Sans pants? No. It wasn't on Auntie.

I don't know when Humphrey B. Bear made it to Brisbane, though my brother watched it - I'm guessing on Channel Nine. The felonious wobble board singer had Coogee Koala as an offsider roughly contemporaneous with Humphrey B. Bear in his primetime variety show. I don't recall ever thinking they were anything but a person in a crummy fur suit.

Big Ted and Little Ted were definitively teddy bears.

When I was very young, the programming I remember watching was all ABC. Afternoons included shows like Play School, Andy Pandy, Mr. Squiggle*, The Magic Roundabout, The Flowerpot Men, The Cisco Kid (at 5:30) and Dr. Who came on at six when dad came home from work.

* A very strange show in retrospect featuring a puppet cartoonist with a pencil nose, but I did like Bill the Steam Shovel and Blackboard. Inevitably it ended with dialogue like:
Blackboard: "Hurry up, hurry up!"

Mr. Squiggle: "It's upside down Miss Pat. It's a girl on roller skates with a yo-yo."

I can imagine chemically influenced university students enjoying programmes like Mr. Squiggle, The Magic Roundabout and The Flowerpot Men

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I want to know why the Bear was on strictly come prancing last night, actually he had a friend on there as well, he was looking distinctly like a foxes mint bear.

Mooring Awl,

7.5hours sleep in bed with only a couple of wake up and turn overs. Needed that...

Woke with very unhappy forepaws. They, like the  forecast, indicate rain. 

Didn't have TV in my early years, I think I was about 7or 8 when we got one, so I  went almost straight to Blue Peter, though with younger brother and sisters the TV was on for their children's programming. Then of course we moved to the Hebrides 71-75 where  was snowy black and white BBC 1 TV only, so I didn't see that generations child's TV either though I wasn't interested anyway.

There are surprisingly few fords in this area of Norfolk, mostly I suspect because the ground is so soft.. Saying that every day going to work I travel over Wayford Bridge which is just north of the former site of the old bridge. When being built the new bridge's site showed signs of the former ford.

There were many former ferries, but the only real one left is at Reedham, though there is one in Horning  in the summer  it's pedestrian and bicycles only, operates a bit like a taxi as it goes up and down a section of river not just across it.

There was a ferry at St Benet's Abbey going south over the river Bure, running as you'd expect at the site of the former Pub.

I'm getting hints from Ben the I want out Collie..

Time to go on patrol...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3