The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, PupCam said:

Afternoon All

So tricky arranging the scenic breaks .....

Would be amusing to do a layout running on the outside of rotating drum, like a mouse on its exercise wheel.

No need for any scenic break.

Im sure Puppers ingenuity could get something sorted by, say,  11th of November and then could be invited to my clubs annual show.

(Sorry for the blatant publicity stunt.)

• Like 9
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Colour me curious, but besides pizza by the slice or sandwiches, what constitutes Italian street food? 

Piadas perhaps?

I can imagine paper bowls of pasta but that doesn't seem to be quite the thing.

Scoffin' Spag. Bol. with yer paws could get kinda messy.

(From a Bear who's riddled with shrapnel wounds from eatin the stuff).

19 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I am back at A&E with her ladyship I have taken her to Dewsbury (it's in the same trust) she was triaged within minutes of arriving now the waiting begins. Although we have been left in a cubicle out of the way

SBT's; fortunately you're not having to sit in a waiting room though, which is good news.

16 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The upside is most of the nurses are wearing the dresses and dark tights.

Doesn't look like I will get to the Chinese to see what she is wearing tonight

Being surrounded by Nurses in black stockings (imagination can be a wonderful thing....) trumps the Chinese takeaway any day.  All sympathy awards null & void.

• Like 11
  • Funny 7

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I suspect that some of this is down to an underlying puritanical strain in the UK that insists that  “food is fuel“ (and no more than that)

I think a lot of Britain’s (often well deserved) reputation for poor food is down to the fact that Britain was the first country to industrialise and thus destroyed a long tradition of good peasant cooking by moving huge numbers of people from the land to the cities to work in the factories where “cheap and nasty, carbohydrate loaded“ was the only food the masses had access to (unlike on the continent where the long tradition of peasant cooking remained intact - even to the present day).

The various enclosure acts also contributed to the destruction of a fine British peasant culinary tradition

I don't think explaining British versus Continental approaches to dining reduces to a simple explanation.

I suspect there is a Puritanical component, but if it were all about Puritanism, American and British approaches to dining would be more alike. There's also the historical class distinction where fine dining was the entitlement of the aristocracy and upper classes and explicitly withheld from the great unwashed, which creates a reverse snobbery where people might insist that the "poor man's food" is superior.

The difference is there and, on some level, by definition, it has to be cultural, but I don't think it's one simplistic thing.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TheQ said:

Beans on toast is cheap and filling.. it made a regular appearance ...

Many many years ago on a scout camp our troop were very unhappy that another troop had baked beans on toast on the afternoon of arrival whereas ours just had a 'normal' tea.  Supper was the same for the troop and breakfast and dinner the next day ...  by then our own Scout leader decided enough was enough so he demanded to see the provisions of that other troop.   7lb tins of baked beans and bread!

That was it so the troop were invited to join ours and we cooked and fed them the rest of the week, obviously much busier than planned but, as one of the 'cooks' - yes I was one of the cooks - it was enjoyable and friends were made.  The latest I've heard of our 50s Scout Master was living in Australia and was well into his 90s.

Edited by PeterBB
many many typos!
  • Like 18

Watching an interesting documentary on 4+1 about the Tutenkahmunh curse and other archeological discoveries.

They are now on about the tomb of a Polish King that was opened in the 70s. Pope John Paul 2 to be was Cardinal there. Several members of the team died.

They found a fungus in part of the Kings remains. 

It continues next week its very interesting 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't think explaining British versus Continental approaches to dining reduces to a simple explanation.

It doesn’t, of course. Which is why I referred to the enclosure acts, the early industrialisation - with the resulting huge exodus from the country to the nascent industrial towns (where cheap and nasty high carbohydrate food was what most of the factory workers could only afford), as well as the destruction of local culinary traditions by cheap, mass-market “industrial” food.

In regards to class, i think that French food and what we today term “haute cuisine” was very much the province of the aristocracy. The middle and upper middle classes were very much enamoured of “stodge and custard”  - a culinary preference reinforced by (public) school dinners during the formative years.

The Hungry Empire by Elizabeth Collingham provides an erudite examination of how Britain’s culinary cravings shaped the world - which in turn shaped how (and what) Britain eats. Definitely a recommended read

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I tried dry slope ski ing once never again. 

I did take Kieran my eldest to Xscape toddler tobogganing.  That was fun.

Never tried downhill skiing. It's quite accessible here with the mountain 90 minutes away (weather/traffic permitting). Recent rain has brought mountain snow and the evening weather reports have replaced the 'smoke forecast' with the 'snow report' at the resorts. They won't be fully operating until the end of November.

I'm not coordinated enough. I never mastered skateboarding as a teen (snowboarding is out) and the one time I went to an ice skating rink as a teenager I couldn't leave the rail. I never mastered roller skates/blades either.

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs we were across the street from a church property. The church was at the top of the hill and they had an open field that sloped down. It was perfect for sledding. Whenever it snowed I would take my youngest across the street, sled down and drag him back up again. We kept at it until too tired/cold/wet/whatever.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

50 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The Hungry Empire by Elizabeth Collingham provides an erudite examination of how Britain’s culinary cravings shaped the world

The history of Western Colonialization is (with the exception of Spanish focus on on the extraction of gold and silver in the Americas) largely one of comestibles - starting with the Portuguese and the trade in pepper and spices. Examples are myriad - potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco, tea, coffee, chocolate, sugar / rum, etc.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Recent rain has brought mountain snow and the evening weather reports have replaced the 'smoke forecast' with the 'snow report' at the resorts.

A bit  like here - last weekend there were warnings for low level  flooding of the nearby Nepean River , drove into town yesterday and there's a roadside sign trailer with a sign on it flashing "Moderate Fire danger - Plan and prepare"

After the 2020 bushfires but before 2 and a half years of rain arrived they re-jigged the fire warning levels to make the lowest one "moderate" - seems a bit silly at the moment with paddocks still underwater!

image.png.552c6bfbeae297f107f7c427381cc914.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

31 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Everything comes with salad, even soup.

One of my favourite moments (back in the day) of fresh-off-the-747, Australians visiting California for the first time is their first experience in a 'casual dining' restaurant where a perky server would ask "soup or salad?" which, adjusting to the accent, Aussies would inevitably interpret as "super salad?" and tentatively answer "Yes?".

Then they were subjected to the litany of salad dressings.

I don't think such things are so strange to Australians any more.

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

For everyone who was starting to hope that I had faded into the sunset never to return, the bad GOOD news is that I'm back.  ...snip...

Dave

The "clapping hands" rating was for that; all else was "eh, ok". So WELCOME BACK!

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And belated Birthday greetings for @jamie92208 from Puppers!

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Would be amusing to do a layout running on the outside of rotating drum, like a mouse on its exercise wheel.

No need for any scenic break.

I believe the Royal Aircraft Establishment beat me to it decades ago.    One (or maybe more) of the earliest, pre-digital computer flight simulators was in fact a model of some scenery on a long roll over which an early miniature video camera "flew".    I wonder if @Dave Hunt ever had a go with one? 🤔

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Im sure Puppers ingenuity could get something sorted by, say,  11th of November and then could be invited to my clubs annual show.

(Sorry for the blatant publicity stunt.)

Puppers maybe ingenious but unfortunately he's blxxdy slow!    I might be able to manage the 11th of November just not sure which one!     

Actually I'd better finish the Triplane before I start on that.  It's not true that the Triplane was featured recently on the Antiques Roadshow but it's getting mighty close.

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

For everyone who was starting to hope that I had faded into the sunset never to return, the bad news is that I'm back. My absence has been mainly due to having decamped for the best part of three weeks into a small village in the mountains of Andalucia where I had no internet connection so I was forced largely to do what is technically termed bu**er all. And oh, boy, did I enjoy it.

He's back!  Excellent.

In Other News

It's been mentioned that a run to the Danish Camp is a distinct possibility tomorrow morning (weather permitting) 😀

Night Awl!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australians are keen on chicken parm* and chips (optionally salad).

* Breaded chicken cutlet with marinara and 'parmesan cheese'** under a salamander.

** Probably not Parmigiano Reggiano

A salamander? Who would eat a salamander? They are usually quite small with very little meat on their bones! 🙀

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

17 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning at a suitably early hour from The Charente.  I have nomidea what the day will bring as apparently I enter a new decade today and there are some rumours around of activities but the details are well above my salary grade and security clearance.  I do know that the hens need to be mucked out.  I know my place.

Jamie

Many congratulations Jamie.  It is said that the days of our years are three score and ten, so it's all profit from now onwards.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PupCam said:

Actually I'd better finish the Triplane before I start on that.  It's not true that the Triplane was featured recently on the Antiques Roadshow but it's getting mighty close.

A certain Bear is part-way thru' watching a film called "Bucket List" on Prime (Morgan Freeman** & Jack Nicholson); it's started me thinking that perhaps Bear should have his own bucket list......

Let's see now.....

1.  See a certain Triplane finished and flying.....

In other news.....

SBT's to those caught up in recent events in Seoul, SK - 146 dead & 150 injured.

Bear has stayed and spent time in Itaewon and it's busy on a normal day - I can easily see that with huge influxes of visitors things could get bad very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still got the aches and pains from todays exertions so it's probably an early night. I haven't checked in on Farcebook for a couple of days now so tomorrow will be spent catching up.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

A quick comment. I will be away from constant computer access for a while so will not have my regular daily check-in routine. Hopefully, I will have a few minutes in the late evenings to pop in for a bit.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australians are keen on chicken parm* and chips (optionally salad).

* Breaded chicken cutlet with marinara and 'parmesan cheese'** under a salamander.

** Probably not Parmigiano Reggiano

Known to some as “chicken in pyjamas” as a corruption of “chicken parmagiana” 

Typically found on the menu of pizza shops because it unfreezes and cooks nicely on a trip through the pizza oven. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1