The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much sleep last night due to the weather bringing Arthur Itis out to do a rain dance in hobnail boots. Its stopped raining for now but more is due soon.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Thinking about what I have just posted, made me realise that one of the curses of modern life is that excellent ideas and necessary changes – dreamt up and devised by the smart and intelligent – are far too often turned over to the terminally stupid, the venal and the incompetent for implementation.

And they love to spout 'elfin safe tea' to boost their inflated egos. Having received training in health and safety laws I love tying these people up in knots.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I’m booked to have a couple of days in Singapore in 2024 but as holiday paperwork fills me with dread I think I may cancel. I’ve heard Bognor Regis is nice in February 

Don't worry about that, if you come here now you just have to fill out an on-line arrival declaration three days before arrival. I think British visitors get a 30-day stamp on arrival. You need to be vaccinated but most people are. Nowadays we are not quite back to normal as we still have to wear masks on public transport and in healthcare facilities (and if you fly with SQ or most other Asian airlines they still have mask requirements) but other than that it's back to normal. On Sunday morning I almost walked from the aircraft into the landside of the terminal, very efficient. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Thinking about what I have just posted, made me realise that one of the curses of modern life is that excellent ideas and necessary changes – dreamt up and devised by the smart and intelligent – are far too often turned over to the terminally stupid, the venal and the incompetent for implementation.

And the flipside of the above, and another curse of modern life, is that you have third rate academics with nothing better to do than dream up absurd theories (and socially dangerous and divisive ons to boot) which are taken up with indecent enthusiasm by their pink haired, pierced and tattooed acolytes who “spread the word“ with all the zeal (and intolerance) of Torquemada‘s finest!

And, yes, that was a tiny rant-ette!

One of my pet hates with modern academia is the number of people who really should know better, in being educated to PhD level and holding tenure as professors, who cannot differentiate between modelled analysis and data. Last week I had a depressingly common exchange with a climate scientist who went through a splendid presentation of his modelling and announced that his 'data' proved a hypothesis he was promoting. I was the awkward one who said he hadn't shown me any data, he'd shown some impressive infographics of modelled scenarios with no information of either the model or underpinning assumptions meaning that there was no way for anyone to know if what he had presented meant anything or nothing. Didn't go down well. I'm also amazed by the number of climate scientists who don't understand anything about atmospheric science or emissions.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Chuckitdarn here, typical as we’re off out to meet friends at Chatsworth House today, but as we’ve already paid for the tickets! Anyway, the original plan is to head off in the next half hour, read into that 90 minutes as that’s how long it will take Sheila to decided what to take and what not to take 😖. I mean, what’s so difficult, it’s raining take a brolly, it’s sunny take sunglasses, simples! Me, I’m taking my hat AND a brolly, sorted! 

Back later. 

Brian

Remember not to talk about anything you see during the visit, or is that Chatham House?

• Funny 14

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Driving Bear has been on the receiving end of a f.stupid dog owner - it was many moons ago but still affects me at times.  The Police arrived from over 6 miles away before the owner turned up; his Insurance Company (that I didn't even know existed until quite a while afterwards) stated " there was no way the owner could foresee that the (young dog) being lawfully exercised (off a lead) in a public park (with no fence) would run away nor run into a road".

One of my great regrets is not punching the tw@t.

Bear has the very same problem - apart from a Brother that I've not had a visit or single phone call from in 11 years (Chrimbo & Birthday Cards only - and that'll be from his SWMBO);  I have several Cousins - one is a total waste of Oxygen, two I never hear from (I always send them Birthday Cards) and one that I always receive a Birthday and Chrimbo Card from; I'd like very much to hear more from her (and have tried) but nottalot has come from it, though we are on good terms.  The situation regarding these last three Cousins is due to fall-out from B'sterd Bear - though they are totally blameless (one of those "awkward" family situations that went on far too long).

The Oxygen Thief has four adult kids (so first cousins once removed according to Google) and whilst three of them are fine (the fourth I never hear from - which suits me) I only ever get a very, very short email from one of them (two sentences kinda stuff) maybe a couple of times a year.  Apart from that it's Auntie Poly - who's fine, but anything left to her would most likely go to the first Cousins once removed sooner rather than later.

So how many of the above would fellow ER'ers be inclined to leave their worldly goods to?

Ahh, that's a bit different for this Bear - I really, really HATE the idea of my stuff going to some scrote, or getting chucked in a skip.

All in all, a bluddy nightmare.

You could of course do a Jeff ie get rid of it before you pass away and as he has 125 billion I can see a lot of people benefiting.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On science, a few months ago I was sent a paper abstract this morning which included the following in the cover sheet:

"The scientists, who report their findings in a study, have discovered that more than 90% of whale shark movements coincide with shipping activities, which led them to the conclusion that whale sharks are often struck and killed by ships before sinking to the ocean floor without anyone noticing."

Interested I read the paper and indeed the above passage accurately reflects the paper. That isn't a conclusion, it's a hypothesis, to be studied further in order to support a more definitive position such as ‘concluding’. At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man stuff like this annoys me (for what it's worth, I thought they're probably right, but you couldn't tell that from anything in their paper).

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

report their findings in a study, have discovered that more than 90% of whale shark movements coincide with shipping activities, which led them to the conclusion that whale sharks are often struck and killed by ships before sinking to the ocean floor without anyone noticing."

Is it also possible that most whale sharks  observations  are made by people on boats/ships? The ones not observed would be difficult to count?

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You could of course do a Jeff ie get rid of it before you pass away and as he has 125 billion I can see a lot of people benefiting.

But who on earth would want a box full of unbuilt D&S Wagon Kits........

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When you mentioned a 10year plus commitment yesterday, I did suspect that might mean a puppy arrival. Very nice. 

Bear thought that perhaps a certain Punk Rocker might finally have seen the light and decided to go for "The Big R" at long last - though I did think ten years was a bit pessimistic....

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When you mentioned a 10year plus commitment yesterday, I did suspect that might mean a puppy arrival. Very nice. 

Shes not a puppy. Shes actually four years old( one year older than Syd) shes having a hard time at home. Shes from syds D9161E3B-540C-428F-B9CA-74621385F44E.jpeg.f09cb7d34314dfdfdbee3224681ac966.jpegbreader and lives with 15 other dogs. We’ve had her for the day and now taking her home. We’re having her again tomorrow and we need to decide if we’re going to keep her. 
She is very pleasant and not timid. Hovis and Sydney are not interacting much but at least they’re not growling at each other.

Edited by Erichill16
Add more info
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

on a roll here now..

Tax return.. done and sent.. they owe me £3.25!

Two electronic control units were broken.. now fixed!

Coupling things fitted to a couple of miniature representations of things which run on nickel silver.

Now.. steak for tea and then.. can I avoid getting knocked flat tonight at cricket??

Baz

ps @Erichill16  you know you want to become Hovis's best dad .. don't you!

Nice tax return, that'll pay for the steak 🤪🤣🤣🤣

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Nice tax return, that'll pay for the steak 🤪🤣🤣🤣

About 100grams worth. I could be a politician as I have no idea how much anything costs now. When we went shopping I would look at prices but since we have shopped online, Aditi has taken control of all the shopping apart from my occasional Ocado order for things she has forgotten to put on the regular order. I do get asked things like “have you seen how much butter is this week?”.

Tony

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4